Managed the impossible...a GOOD drone story...

Reaction score
Hey doods!

So I was flying a mapping mission today. My partner and I parse out the job and fly 2 drones at once. Because we generally fly in remote areas, clean landing space is at a premium. So more often than not, he just catches the drones as I bring them in.

Well today, instead of keeping my eyes on the drone, I was looking at the iPad during RTH. I usually wait until she's about 1,000' out and then start looking for her. I do this so I can bring her in on a glide slope. This is way more efficient than allowing the drone to get directly over head, and THEN descending.

Well today, for whatever reason, I allowed my attention to get focused on the iPad and the orientation of drone, which had turned 90°. I like keeping the camera forward so I can make sure I'm not running into anything. I was bouncing back and forth between the FPV image and the little drone icon, when all of the sudden I hear the horrifying sound of plastic impacting wood. My partner yells, "Dude...you hit the pole!" I somehow managed to descend too low, and I grazed the the top of a telephone pole! CRAP!

But wait....she's still flying! Okay....so I bring her in and the gimbal is going nuts. We power cycle the drone and the gimbal comes up normally. We inspect the P4P thoroughly for cracks, scrapes and/or abrasions...nothing! We inspect the props. Perfect. We flew the next leg of the mission, no problems!

Somehow I managed to hit a telephone pole hard enough that we heard it from 200' away, but not hard enough to do any damage. Apparently, I had just grazed the top of the telephone pole. Zero damage! HA! Lesson learned!

It seems I have Karma left over from the last TWO drones I lost to bad propellers! HA!

D

Go buy a lottery ticket... no TWO right now LOL

About 2 months ago I clipped the branches of a tree about 60 feet off the ground, it started tumbling catching branches on the way down making the rreeerrreeerrreee sound as it clipped another and another branch ( some of you know what that sounds like).
After it clipped the last Branch about 20 feet off the ground I heard the motors scream and it stopped free falling and Hovered about eight feet off the ground.:eek: WoooooW :D

I'm new to this with a question not a suggestion. If an accident such as this happens, would it be prudent to change out the props just in case there "might" be a fracture that is not visible?
I wish for all my accidents to be as your last!!!

I'm new to this with a question not a suggestion. If an accident such as this happens, would it be prudent to change out the props just in case there "might" be a fracture that is not visible?
I would only change them if there was a visible mark or you could feel any imperfections cause by the hit. If not then you should be good to go. Most likely, if you hit anything with the props then you would definitely see a mark or three.

Reactions: Harleydude
In my case, I’d prefer to change them out. Props are cheap. They aren’t designed to bounce off of anything other than the occasional wayward bug. Some people have differing opinions, which I respect. It is personal preference for me to know all four are balanced and operate as designed for the entire flight.

About 2 months ago I clipped the branches of a tree about 60 feet off the ground, it started tumbling catching branches on the way down making the rreeerrreeerrreee sound as it clipped another and another branch ( some of you know what that sounds like).
After it clipped the last Branch about 20 feet off the ground I heard the motors scream and it stopped free falling and Hovered about eight feet off the ground.:eek: WoooooW :D

Nice!!!

Check this out. Old Phantom 1 days before telemetry was born. Sometimes a was a liiiiiiitle too liberal with my battery estimates!

In my case, I’d prefer to change them out. Props are cheap. They aren’t designed to bounce off of anything other than the occasional wayward bug. Some people have differing opinions, which I respect. It is personal preference for me to know all four are balanced and operate as designed for the entire flight.

I'd normally agree with you. But in this case there wasn't so much as a blemish on the props. We removed them, inspected the hubs, pushed and pulled on them, and they were perfect. I simply couldn't justify changing them out. We flew the rest of the day without incident.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Great video Harleydude. Liked the narration also. Seeing the birds just after liftoff got my full attention.........but not as much as your free fall.........then the wires by the ‘landing tree’. Never a dull moment there. Thanks for sharing. [emoji106]

Reactions: Harleydude
Hey doods!

It seems I have Karma left over from the last TWO drones I lost to bad propellers! HA!

D
What do you mean by 'bad', how do they suddenly come 'bad' and how can you check and avoid this , just regular cleaning and condition checking ?

Last edited:
YES!

What do you mean by 'bad', how do they suddenly come 'bad' and how can you check and avoid this , just regular cleaning and condition checking ?

Faulty manufacturing of aftermarket props caused catastrophic, unpredictable failure mid-flight. I've been using aftermarket props for years. This was the first time one had failed mid-flight. The second time, the aftermarket copies were so close to the original in design and form that I THOUGHT they were OEM. Lesson learned. Now I only purchase and use OEM props for my P4P.

D

Last edited:
Faulty manufacturing of aftermarket props caused catastrophic, unpredictable failure mid-flight. I've been using aftermarket props for years. This was the first time one had failed mid-flight. The second time, the aftermarket copies were so close to the original in design and form that I THOUGHT they were OEM. Lesson learned. Now I only purchase and use OEM props for my P4P.

D
Thus the reason for asking the question, you having 2 prop failures in the past. Didn't know the circumstances and thought it might be a serious issue when flying my drone. OEM only!

Thus the reason for asking the question, you having 2 prop failures in the past. Didn't know the circumstances and thought it might be a serious issue when flying my drone. OEM only!

Yessir...when it comes to the P4P, I only purchase OEM. And now that I know what the OEM packaging looks like, I can easily spot the fakes.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj