Man Flying Jetpack At 3000 Feet

Link works on my PC, but not on my iPhone. IPhone just keeps taking me to the subscription page and I can’t get past it. Oh, well. Sorry, my bad.

Reactions: dronesky
Works on pad but still no picture . Seems they would mount GoPros.
Don’t doubt they doing it but a picture would be nice.

Oh geeze. Boohoo...."we saw jet packs!!" Oh WAH!!!!

Dear American pilots;

( Mod Removed Comment)

Meanwhile, in Dubai...

1602821295037.png

1602821432330.png

"It's not safe!!" said no Wright brother EVER.

Discuss.

D

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3putts
Think we all have seen them from that country we talking in LA
with the sightings Donnie.
Thanks anyway .

Copy that. My point is that if TWO Jet Packs can fly within 100 feet of a Jumbo Jet without being seen as a "threat" in Dubai, surely ONE Jet Pack 300 feet away is certainly even less of a threat in the U.S.

The article's trepidation (dare I say "fear") is unfounded in my humble opinion. And as long as every time any jet pack or drone SIGHTING is treated as some kind of "threat," the U.S. will always be in dead last in the aerial technology game.

I find it ironic that planes and helicopters crash all over the place annually killing thousands and doing millions in property damage withOUT the aid of "drones" or "jet packs," while not a single soul has been lost to a jet pack / drone incident. Yet the FAA focuses sharply on the latter. I honestly feel the entire industry needs to self reflect a bit, get off their high horse, and acknowledge that the REAL "dangers in the sky" are the jets, planes and helicopters, and NOT drones and/or jet packs.

Just my 2 cents. I would challenge anybody to make a logical argument to the contrary.

D

My statement was about everytime anything is sighted in the US they
never get a picture.
But thanks for your 2 cents ?

Oh geeze. Boohoo...."we saw jet packs!!" Oh WAH!!!!

Dear American pilots;

( Mod Removed Comment)

Meanwhile, in Dubai...

Just because you CAN do something does not mean that you SHOULD do something. By that same argument, a lot for people jump off the Golden Gate bridge to commit suicide each year. Does that mean Dubai needs to build a similar bridge because everyone is doing it.?. Of course not. You could have also argued that people have a right to exercise their personal freedom and do things like this, but again, that fails to take into account that everyone has those same rights and your rights end where the other person's begins.

Just because the aviation authority in Dubai has not fully considered (or just doesn't care) the implications of individuals performing powered flight in close proximity to a passenger carrier with potentially hundreds of lives at stake if something goes wrong, that doesn't mean that it should be allowed in the US (or Dubai for that matter). I would like to think that the FAA HAS considered the implications and made a sound decision based upon all the facts and the potential hazards.

My take-away from this is that Dubai doesn't place a lot of value in human life compared to the US in this particular topic. This next line is as much to myself because it is very easy to get lost in the conversation and miss things because this format is really imperfect when it comes to transferring ideas; we need to step back and look past our own nose and then consider for a moment how our actions affect others. I think in this case we all, being reasoning adults, can see that it really is not a great idea to fly something that may or may not be safe in close proximity to hundreds of people just trying to get from point A to point B. Even if nothing bad came of the experience, we, as pilots have a higher calling to ensure that our actions do not endanger the public and there is no distinction if you are flying for recreation or a commercial venture.

<off the soapbox and back to real life>

Just because you CAN do something does not mean that you SHOULD do something.

In some instances, sure. But when it comes to invention, exploration, research and development, you SHOULD do it.

By that same argument, a lot for people jump off the Golden Gate bridge to commit suicide each year. Does that mean Dubai needs to build a similar bridge because everyone is doing it.?. Of course not.

Hold on. Did you call my mother??? She used that same exact logic 40 years ago to discourage me from riding my skateboard in the arroyos. Interesting.

You could have also argued that people have a right to exercise their personal freedom and do things like this...

EXACTLY! I'm glad we agree on something.

...but again, that fails to take into account that everyone has those same rights and your rights end where the other person's begins.

So...tarting this out.... Everyone has the same right to fly a jet pack, but my right to fly a jet pack ends where their right to fly a jet pack begins??? Sorry, sir...I DO NOT follow that logic.

Just because the aviation authority in Dubai has not fully considered (or just doesn't care) the implications of individuals performing powered flight in close proximity to a passenger carrier with potentially hundreds of lives at stake if something goes wrong, that doesn't mean that it should be allowed in the US (or Dubai for that matter).

Actually, they DID take that into consideration. They did the math, and the benefits outweighed the risk. Your assertion that they did zero risk analysis is dubious at best, and flat-out made up at worst. You would have to cite a source for such a ridiculous, preposterous assertion.

I would like to think that the FAA HAS considered the implications and made a sound decision based upon all the facts and the potential hazards.

Ahhhh...more fairy dust. OR...the FAA simply poo-poos any and all innovation because they don't want to do the paperwork or look bad on T.V. when some whiny reporter decides to make all the same claims you just made.

Isn't this fun? You make completely, absurd, unfounded, UNSOURCED claims. And I do the same! Fun!!

My take-away from this is that Dubai doesn't place a lot of value in human life compared to the US in this particular topic.

And my take-away is that they DID conduct a comprehensive risk analysis and decided that innovation was worth the risk. You know....like the Wright Brothers or Charles Lindbergh or Charles Yeager or Amelia Earhart or.....

This next line is as much to myself because it is very easy to get lost in the conversation and miss things because this format is really imperfect when it comes to transferring ideas; we need to step back and look past our own nose and then consider for a moment how our actions affect others.

To even remotely suggest that the Dubains (?) didn't conduct risk analysis is absurd and unfounded. Let's just call a spade a spade. We, as Americans, put more emphasis on fear, regulation and safety than our Dubain brothers. Hence; they will reap the rewards of innovation while we continue to crash news helicopters into buildings.

Disclaimer: Nobody was hurt, killed, or property damaged in the testing of what could be one of the most profound inventions for personal flight of our century. Let that sink in. A wise man once said, "Ya gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette."

I think in this case we all, being reasoning adults, can see that it really is not a great idea to fly something that may or may not be safe in close proximity to hundreds of people just trying to get from point A to point B."

You mean like birds?

"Are those geese??" ~ Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger

I think that as long as the Jet Pack pilots don't fly INTO the Jumbo Jet, I think everyone will be okay.

Thoughts?

Even if nothing bad came of the experience, we, as pilots have a higher calling to ensure that our actions do not endanger the public and there is no distinction if you are flying for recreation or a commercial venture.

Sure. That's why the Jet Pack PILOTS skillfully avoided smashing into the Jumbo Jet.

<off the soapbox and back to real life>

In all reality, the entire aviation community would probably agree with you. But as an American who'd like to see America unleash our innovating potential (instead of being tied with Venezuela) and become a LEADER in drone and personal aviation technology instead of watching the CHINESE to lead the charge, I wish the FAA would loosen up a bit. America has the potential to be a world leader in all aerial innovation. But not with the FAA pressing their thumb down on the entire industry.

Discuss.

D

Last edited:
But not with the FAA pressing their thumb down on the entire industry.
ok, my turn;
peasant innovation, YES big thumb, corporate theft, full steam ahead. The nation's sky's will be filled with flying things peasants will be able to watch :astonished:

ok, my turn;
peasant innovation, YES big thumb, corporate theft, full steam ahead. The nation's sky's will be filled with flying things peasants will be able to watch :astonished:

Actually, you've got it backwards. As price points come down, the "peasants" will be able to afford flying craft. The way it is NOW, the "peasants" are the Earth-bound misfits.

And we were promised "skies full of flying things" by the turn of the century. So "the industry" is TWO DECADES behind schedule.

Discuss.

D

Copy that. My point is that if TWO Jet Packs can fly within 100 feet of a Jumbo Jet without being seen as a "threat" in Dubai, surely ONE Jet Pack 300 feet away is certainly even less of a threat in the U.S.

The article's trepidation (dare I say "fear") is unfounded in my humble opinion. And as long as every time any jet pack or drone SIGHTING is treated as some kind of "threat," the U.S. will always be in dead last in the aerial technology game.

I find it ironic that planes and helicopters crash all over the place annually killing thousands and doing millions in property damage withOUT the aid of "drones" or "jet packs," while not a single soul has been lost to a jet pack / drone incident. Yet the FAA focuses sharply on the latter. I honestly feel the entire industry needs to self reflect a bit, get off their high horse, and acknowledge that the REAL "dangers in the sky" are the jets, planes and helicopters, and NOT drones and/or jet packs.

Just my 2 cents. I would challenge anybody to make a logical argument to the contrary.

D
They had an accident over there

Reactions: Harleydude

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl