Making $$ with stock drone footage

Infor
Thanks. I'm neither a good pilot or a great videographer, but it's a fair substitute for the hang gliding I enjoyed in my youth. It's important to practice combination flight and video maneuvers so you're well practiced when you've got a great subject/locale. I really need a Mavic Pro for travel!
Information overload in this sub, LOL. Do you still use gettyimages? I just found both gettyimages and pond5 and I have no clue which is better. Any idea? Also, do you have to become an exclusive content creator with getty images? I just instantly uploaded a file? What is the difference.

edit: Yea I can't seem to find the difference between uploading through dronebase and directly to gettyimages?

Infor

Information overload in this sub, LOL. Do you still use gettyimages? I just found both gettyimages and pond5 and I have no clue which is better. Any idea? Also, do you have to become an exclusive content creator with getty images? I just instantly uploaded a file? What is the difference.

edit: Yea I can't seem to find the difference between uploading through dronebase and directly to gettyimages?

Blackmagic,

The contributor site/portal is done through iStock brand, but it's all the same agency (Getty bought out most of the legacy brands). Becoming an exclusive contributor for gettyimages/istock has some requirements like; you need to have a specified number of purchases of your images under your belt, etc. If you look at pricing for photos, I uploaded a bunch before becoming exclusive (the process for exclusive was a bit elusive and I couldn't figure out how to apply). Those images only cost $12 to purchase, which makes my commission pretty low (anticipating actual commissions to you are also hard to figure out because buyers have a variety of pricing packages). When I became exclusive, my photos are listed as 'Signature', which cost the purchaser approx. $36 vs. $12 non-exclusive. My commissions on the $12 images hardly make it worth my time. Gettyimages/iStock doesn't preclude you from selling your photos personally through your website or offline, just not through another stock agency. Many photographers (like Serge Ramelli) that sell stock through various sites say it's better not to be exclusive and keep your options open with other stock agencies. You have to make a judgement call based on % commission/royalties paid to you before uploading all over the internet. I put some on Twenty20 and they only pay $2. For $2, I'd rather not even sell them. Truthfully, I haven't done the research so it's hard for me to advise on stock photos.

For video: If you're gonna use Gettyimage/iStock, my recommendation would be to focus on video (particularly drone video), which is not as broadly represented at this time and pays a lot higher royalties. 4k video stock is still fairly sparse and even the older 1080p stock on Gettyimages is pretty poor quality. Recent generation DSLRs and Camcorders are much better at video and drone cameras are quite good, especially at 4k. As I mentioned before, there isn't a lot of drone footage on Gettyimages, so you have a better chance at selling it with a smaller pool of clips. The idea that you can mine your video library and cut footage into 20-30 second clips means you can generate a lot of stock assets without much effort. Satisfy the requirements for exclusive video contributor before uploading a bunch. It may be lower req's for video than photos, so it won't take long to meet them.

As I mentioned before, if you have people willing to be models for your drone footage, it would be quite desireable for buyers. Take a look at iStock's 'What to Shoot' page (Sign in | ESP) which will give you a lot of ideas on what's selling/desired by purchasers. Drone footage could apply to quite a number of the ideas even if it's a simply dolly/slider shot, often easier accomplished with a drone than a DSLR. Except of course, you don't have much control over depth of focus.

Reactions: David_Cambridge
Blackmagic,

The contributor site/portal is done through iStock brand, but it's all the same agency (Getty bought out most of the legacy brands). Becoming an exclusive contributor for gettyimages/istock has some requirements like; you need to have a specified number of purchases of your images under your belt, etc. If you look at pricing for photos, I uploaded a bunch before becoming exclusive (the process for exclusive was a bit elusive and I couldn't figure out how to apply). Those images only cost $12 to purchase, which makes my commission pretty low (anticipating actual commissions to you are also hard to figure out because buyers have a variety of pricing packages). When I became exclusive, my photos are listed as 'Signature', which cost the purchaser approx. $36 vs. $12 non-exclusive. My commissions on the $12 images hardly make it worth my time. Gettyimages/iStock doesn't preclude you from selling your photos personally through your website or offline, just not through another stock agency. Many photographers (like Serge Ramelli) that sell stock through various sites say it's better not to be exclusive and keep your options open with other stock agencies. You have to make a judgement call based on % commission/royalties paid to you before uploading all over the internet. I put some on Twenty20 and they only pay $2. For $2, I'd rather not even sell them. Truthfully, I haven't done the research so it's hard for me to advise on stock photos.

For video: If you're gonna use Gettyimage/iStock, my recommendation would be to focus on video (particularly drone video), which is not as broadly represented at this time and pays a lot higher royalties. 4k video stock is still fairly sparse and even the older 1080p stock on Gettyimages is pretty poor quality. Recent generation DSLRs and Camcorders are much better at video and drone cameras are quite good, especially at 4k. As I mentioned before, there isn't a lot of drone footage on Gettyimages, so you have a better chance at selling it with a smaller pool of clips. The idea that you can mine your video library and cut footage into 20-30 second clips means you can generate a lot of stock assets without much effort. Satisfy the requirements for exclusive video contributor before uploading a bunch. It may be lower req's for video than photos, so it won't take long to meet them.

As I mentioned before, if you have people willing to be models for your drone footage, it would be quite desireable for buyers. Take a look at iStock's 'What to Shoot' page (Sign in | ESP) which will give you a lot of ideas on what's selling/desired by purchasers. Drone footage could apply to quite a number of the ideas even if it's a simply dolly/slider shot, often easier accomplished with a drone than a DSLR. Except of course, you don't have much control over depth of focus.
I am currently uploading a few short video clips to that sign in page and it is taking AGES to upload. I am so confused. How do I become an exclusive creator with getty images? Why don't I just keep uploading through dronebase?

edit: yea I am trying to apply by uploading three very short .mov files (which I hate btw... who doesn't use .mp4 these days?) and it is taking literal ages. Like over an hour for one video??

I am currently uploading a few short video clips to that sign in page and it is taking AGES to upload. I am so confused. How do I become an exclusive creator with getty images? Why don't I just keep uploading through dronebase?

edit: yea I am trying to apply by uploading three very short .mov files (which I hate btw... who doesn't use .mp4 these days?) and it is taking literal ages. Like over an hour for one video??
Blackmagic,
Thanks for prompting me to dig into my backend with iStock. I figured out where the spreadsheet download is for an item-by-item royalty statement. For all of the stuff I'm selling, I'm clearly getting screwed. Opacity has always been an issue with Gettyimages, but I can see that their membership categories, specifically 'Premium Access Time Limited' are resulting in me getting between $.20 and $3.00 for 4k videos, with most of them under $2. This spreadsheet is so confusing, it would take an accountant/forensic expert to sort through, but it's becoming clear that I'm only making reasonable royalties on the random buyers that do not have one of their various subscriptions or credit packs. This 'Premium Access' category is a rip off for the contributor. Supposedly, it's only offered to a very select few clients, but in digging through the forums, I can see there's a lot of raging chatter about it. High quality 4k video content paying out $.20?

I have about 750 images and 650 video clips, sold about 170 assets for a total of like $850 for the month. But these royalties on video clips are no better than images for reasons not entirely clear. I'm gonna have to take a hard look at this whole thing, cause exclusive isn't doing anything for me if 'Premium Access' and other subscription rates are paying out so low. Seriously, 15% vs. 30% (or whatever it is) on $2-3 is moot. It's really more like a scratch-off lottery where I'm just praying I get more non-subscription buyers to purchase an image or video.

I'm regretting now starting this thread, giving people false hope and sending them down the iStock/Getty rabbit hole. I have made consistently $800 to a high of $1,400 in March, but there's something insidious at the root of this and many other contributors are equally confused about what's going on with their royalties. If you can get $15 a clip per purchase from dronebase, that's gonna be a lot better in most cases. But, given that it's still going to Gettyimages, I'd be wary.

Reactions: mastix
Blackmagic,
Thanks for prompting me to dig into my backend with iStock. I figured out where the spreadsheet download is for an item-by-item royalty statement. For all of the stuff I'm selling, I'm clearly getting screwed. Opacity has always been an issue with Gettyimages, but I can see that their membership categories, specifically 'Premium Access Time Limited' are resulting in me getting between $.20 and $3.00 for 4k videos, with most of them under $2. This spreadsheet is so confusing, it would take an accountant/forensic expert to sort through, but it's becoming clear that I'm only making reasonable royalties on the random buyers that do not have one of their various subscriptions or credit packs. This 'Premium Access' category is a rip off for the contributor. Supposedly, it's only offered to a very select few clients, but in digging through the forums, I can see there's a lot of raging chatter about it. High quality 4k video content paying out $.20?

I have about 750 images and 650 video clips, sold about 170 assets for a total of like $850 for the month. But these royalties on video clips are no better than images for reasons not entirely clear. I'm gonna have to take a hard look at this whole thing, cause exclusive isn't doing anything for me if 'Premium Access' and other subscription rates are paying out so low. Seriously, 15% vs. 30% (or whatever it is) on $2-3 is moot. It's really more like a scratch-off lottery where I'm just praying I get more non-subscription buyers to purchase an image or video.

I'm regretting now starting this thread, giving people false hope and sending them down the iStock/Getty rabbit hole. I have made consistently $800 to a high of $1,400 in March, but there's something insidious at the root of this and many other contributors are equally confused about what's going on with their royalties. If you can get $15 a clip per purchase from dronebase, that's gonna be a lot better in most cases. But, given that it's still going to Gettyimages, I'd be wary.
Yea I am using Pond5 now.

Pond5 Shutterstock Storyblocks and Adobe will give far better returns in footage that Istock/Getty. Specially at Pond5 where you can establish your prices and get 50%. Shutterstock and Adobe around 35%. Getty at 20% is not the best option IMHO and supplying to them for this low royalties and prices might be not the best option for a number of obvious reasons.

Pond5 Shutterstock Storyblocks and Adobe will give far better returns in footage that Istock/Getty. Specially at Pond5 where you can establish your prices and get 50%. Shutterstock and Adobe around 35%. Getty at 20% is not the best option IMHO and supplying to them for this low royalties and prices might be not the best option for a number of obvious reasons.
Ok, here's my UPDATED opinion on Gettyimages/iStock. I and all other contributors are getting seriously ripped off through a devaluing of content. Aggressive marketing by Getty of their Premium Access Package at annual rates that, at the end of the day, results in you getting between $1.50 - $4.00 for most of your content. And that's the net for an 'exclusive contributor'. I'll have over 2,000 items sold in a month (photos and video) and net $800. The only purchasers I make money from are basically those who bought the overpriced 'Credit Packs'. It would take a team of accountants and statisticians to assess the many ways contributors are being systematically cheated.

I will follow your suggestions on alternatives. I'd caution anyone that the stated % rates of any agency are relative.

In the end, any higher price per image is moot, when the content isn't sold because the agency isn't used by your target market. It's another race to the bottom! The supply is infinite (everyone can now take aerial images), while the commercial demand is finite, very limited, and cheap, unwilling to pay premium prices established when helicopters were required. The potential revenue might pay for beer money, but it certainly won't pay the mortgage! Don't quit your day jobs! :eek:

I have to disagree. Let me first say that I live fully from stock photography for the last 10 years. Have only been supplying footage from april so I still don't know what rpi (return per investment) I will have april 2019. Establishing the right price per image is very important and it can break your business if you do it wrong.

Supply is infinite (yes in part- if you shoot just another lake, seascape woman raising her arms on the top of a mountain......) still huge blank spaces to fill. Demand is finited and limited -yes- cheap (it depends again on how much is on offer. If you have the right content you can ask for much more than the regular clip.

Picking up the right agency to distribute your work is very important too. For example Getty/Istock sales are mostly for dollars or pennies. It doesn't matter if it is the one billion beach shot or a white polar bear attacking a walross. It also only pays you twenty percent of the sale.

There are other options where you command the price for more exclusive aerial shots and get paid a 50%. Everybody has to pick up their choice.

To quit the day job with stock is a risky proposition nowadays and I personally would not do it now. The time to recover investment is much longer than in the past and this trend will only continue. Another thing is if you are specially talented and see that making the step is working for you. Case by case scenario, like everything in our life.

Reactions: David_Cambridge
I have to disagree. Let me first say that I live fully from stock photography for the last 10 years. Have only been supplying footage from april so I still don't know what rpi (return per investment) I will have april 2019. Establishing the right price per image is very important and it can break your business if you do it wrong...

Supply is infinite (yes in part- if you shoot just another lake, seascape woman raising her arms on the top of a mountain......) still huge blank spaces to fill. Demand is finited and limited -yes- cheap (it depends again on how much is on offer. If you have the right content you can ask for much more than the regular clip.

Picking up the right agency to distribute your work is very important too. For example Getty/Istock sales are mostly for dollars or pennies. It doesn't matter if it is the one billion beach shot or a white polar bear attacking a walross. It also only pays you twenty percent of the sale.

There are other options where you command the price for more exclusive aerial shots and get paid a 50%. Everybody has to pick up their choice.

To quit the day job with stock is a risky proposition nowadays and I personally would not do it now. The time to recover investment is much longer than in the past and this trend will only continue. Another thing is if you are specially talented and see that making the step is working for you. Case by case scenario, like everything in our life.

Well said. In my original post, I believe I suggested stock submission as an additional source of income, not a replacement. I started submitting stock like 8 years ago as an experiment, but the processes were to cumbersome, so I stopped submitting and never checked my account. A couple years later they sent me an email asking where to send the check (for $3,500). They improved the process so I started submitting photos and video again. It generates between $850-$1,500 a month mostly depending on the number of items sold to buyers paying higher prices because they don’t have a Premium Access account. I have about 800 videos and an equal number of photos.

You may perceive that there are plenty of videos of people with arms raised or sunsets, but my sunset aerials sell every month and they’re not even that great. Aerials over cities, small towns are always popular. There are quite a few shots you can do close to ground level that can’t be accomplished any other way even with a gimbal. As a creative professional, you have to think creatively based on what you see and what the stock agency says they’re looking for. Gettimages has plenty of info for contributors on what sells. It will help generate ideas. Many traditional shots can look even cooler with a drone. The only way to know whether you can generate good money from a particular agency is to upload and be patient. Don’t sign an exclusive agreement with Gettyimages even though it’s a higher percentage payout (relevant to the price paid).

This has been a good thread. A lot of interesting perspectives and good advice from all members. Based on other members experiences, I need to expand my horizons to other agencies.

Hi, this site says DroneVideos.com is the best site to sell on because they also promote your services for contractual work so it has two opportunities to make money. MyDroneCareer.com | Stock Footage

As in most businesses, those who are best at marketing and sales with average talent will be far more successful, than those who are far more talented, but lack sales and marketing skills. Depending upon someone else to do your marketing and sales for you severely limits your success. Marketing your own material allows you to keep 100% of the profits, while allowing you to target anyone. Your income will be directly proportional to your marketing and sales skills. If you aren't happy with the results of farming out marketing and sales to others, get better at marketing and sales yourself! :cool:

True, do you think the best method is to focus locally and then use local media. For example, it someone covers a small town and then gets coverage in the local newspaper they make a start from that market?

True, do you think the best method is to focus locally and then use local media. For example, it someone covers a small town and then gets coverage in the local newspaper they make a start from that market?
The best form of marketing and sales is direct sales, targeted cold calls, whether in person or on the phone. Once you find a successful niche, build that niche through referrals. Don't expect the media to do your selling and prospecting for you. If you can't find any/enough interested, viable, paying prospects, reconsider your business, and find something else to sell!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20