Making IOC and Home Lock work properly

lothman said:
please help me understand this hole ioc thing. how is it useful and how do i use it. what is home lock and what is course lock and how are they different and when do i use one over the other. also what is the difference between gpi/atti and atti and when and why would i use one over the other. any help with these concepts would be apprecieated
thnkx
bill
[email protected] for email responces

Here something I wrote elsewhere on Course Lock and Home Lock that might be of some interest.

Note the following is consistent with current NAZA firmware/documentation (v 3.16, 2013-08-07) and I think with more recent prior versions as well. Also assumes Mode 2 transmitter setup (ie rudder and throttle on left stick). Note also that the IOC switch by default is not active on a Phantom. You must run DJI's Assistant software to activate IOC function.

In normal flight mode (IOC Switch = Off), the craft's flight response to the right stick ('left/right and forward/back') is relative to the current orientation of the craft. So moving the right stick forward sends the craft in the direction the craft's nose is pointing.

Course Lock (CL) behavior is based upon the craft's previously recorded reference orientation (I'll call this the 'Home Orientation'). The Home Orientation is initially based on the craft's orientation 30 sec after the NAZA is powered up. The Home Orientation can also be set manually by toggling the IOC switch from Off to Course Lock, and back to Off quickly 3 to 5 times.

When flying in CL Mode (IOC Switch = CL), craft response to the right stick ('left/right and forward/back') is relative to the previously recorded Home Orientation, and NOT based upon the craft's current orientation. This remains true no matter where the craft is relative to the Home Point (assuming a Home Point has actually be established) and no matter which direction its nose is pointing. Thus CL flight behavior depends only upon the NAZA knowing the craft's current orientation relative to the Home Orientation in order to figure out how the craft should respond to inputs from the transmitter. This information does not rely on any inputs from the GPS system, therefore CL Mode can be used in both 'ATTI' Mode and 'GPS ATTI' Mode (CL mode will not function Control Mode is set to Manual). And CL Mode does not require GPS satellite acquisition or establishing a Home Point.

Home Lock (HL) behavior is based upon the craft's location 'at the moment' relative to the previously recorded craft location (the 'Home Point') usually established before takeoff as the position of the aircraft when you start the motors for the first time after 6 or more GPS satellites have been found for 10 seconds. The Home Point can also be set manually by toggling the IOC switch from Course Lock to Home Lock, and back to Course Lock quickly 3 to 5 times.

When flying in Home Lock Mode (IOC Switch = HL), craft response to the right stick is relative to the vector (arrow) pointing from the Home Point (usually established prior to take-off) toward the craft's current location (determined via GPS data). No matter where the craft is (provided its at least 10 m from the Home Point) and no matter which way the craft's nose is actually pointing, the tip of this vector represents the craft's virtual nose in HL flight and the craft's responses reflect this fact. Moving the right stick forward causes the craft to fly 'out' (away from the Home Point) along the straight line between the Home Point and the craft's current position. Pulling the right stick back causes the craft to fly 'in' (toward the Home Point) along the straight line between the Home Point and the craft's current position.

Clearly, HL flight requires GPS data (6 or more GPS satellites) both to establish the Home Point and to allow the vector from Home Point to the craft's current location to be determined. HL Mode flight also requires that the craft is at least 10 m from the Home Point, a criterion that can only be calculated with GPS information. When the craft is <10 m from the Home Point, then its flight behavior automatically reverts to Course Lock Mode behavior. Given this dependency on GPS data, it makes sense that HL mode can only be realized when at least six GPS satellites are found and the Control Mode is set to 'GPS ATTI'.

The key here is the distinction is between craft orientation (which way is the nose pointing) vs. craft position (where in 3D space is the craft located). CL Mode relies on orientation information while HL Mode uses both position (GPS) and orientation (compass, gyro, accelerometers).

I would strongly encourage those interested in using these IOC modes to carefully read the DJI documentation and then to perform their own evaluations of fight behavior under controlled test conditions (rather than using IOC flight modes for the first time in an emergency or other critical flight situation). The documentation is helpful, but is not always entirely clear/correct so trust but verify...

Finally, I think the above is accurate, though certainly simplified. If it is inaccurate, unclear, or I've otherwise made some errors (certainly wouldn't be the first time!), pls advise.

Steve

Just joined from Australia, thanks for the info on CL and HL as I was struggling to get it to work as I just purchased the machine last week, still struggling to use it. It also says to upgrade to 4.2 software and first power off and take of props? Should I do this".......?

Wee Jimmy said:
Just joined from Australia, thanks for the info on CL and HL as I was struggling to get it to work as I just purchased the machine last week, still struggling to use it. It also says to upgrade to 4.2 software and first power off and take of props? Should I do this".......?

Yes, Firmware 4.02 has a critical bug fix. I have not heard of any new bad things introduced by it.

Taking of the props is purely a safety measure, and is a good idea. Really only takes a couple seconds. The motors shouldn't turn while linked to the software, but you never know.

dbrack said:
I find HL a little challenging in that it has a radial characteristic. CL seems to make more sense. It flys in straight lines.

At least as I'm seeing it!

db

I prefer CL myself.

Dave Pitman said:
Wee Jimmy said:

Yes, Firmware 4.02 has a critical bug fix. I have not heard of any new bad things introduced by it.

Taking of the props is purely a safety measure, and is a good idea. Really only takes a couple seconds. The motors shouldn't turn while linked to the software, but you never know.

4.02 has been flawless for me. Very happy with it.

I can't make Home lock or Course lock work on my Ph2 either.
Why is DJI so retarded to do this?
I have a Mac, not PC
It should work by default.

But does anyone know how to turn on IOC on a Mac ?
I have DJI Software Assistant for the PT2 for Mac.
It shows that IOC is 'OFF' but there is no button to turn it on?

What is up with this?
please help
-Thanks

Ok, I found out how, for Mac, you open up the PT2 Software Assistant for the phantom, you have to be 'online', turn on your Radio controller first, then power up your PT2, then you hook up the PT2 with the supplied USB to USB Mini cable then go the main 'View' page and in the upper right corner there is a gray button that says 'Phantom' , click it, (that activates NAZA M, mode) then click yes to every other window that asks you if you really want to switch to 'Naza M' Mode. Click Yes.

So then go to the Advanced tab and click the box for Enabling IOC. now you are set. Make sure your lowest atti position is set at 'FailSafe'. There is more to , I just can't remember it all, but you want to do a power cycle when you are all done.
'

DJIp2v said:
Great information, very clear about the way it´s works, but one question come to me, ¿when do you reccomend to use a course lock during flight?
thanks

Juan
I have found it useful when I was videoing my own house...I set the P2 pointing at the front of the house when I initialize...after it locks onto that position, I fly up over the house and yaw to point the camera in different directions while slowly sweeping from side to side above the house, remaining on a straight line from my initial take off position...really handy when 'tracking' a subject.

bernardb said:
DJIp2v said:
Great information, very clear about the way it´s works, but one question come to me, ¿when do you reccomend to use a course lock during flight?
thanks

Juan
I have found it useful when I was videoing my own house...I set the P2 pointing at the front of the house when I initialize...after it locks onto that position, I fly up over the house and yaw to point the camera in different directions while slowly sweeping from side to side above the house, remaining on a straight line from my initial take off position...really handy when 'tracking' a subject.

Thanks Bernard, now it´s clear to me...!

Kelso Kubat said:
i am trying to setup the ioc on my phantom 2 using the mac version of the assistant software but there is no check box in the mac version... can someone help? :shock:

I use a Mac. I have a P2V and it was easy to enable the NAZA-M by simply clicking on the tab in the upper right corner.

IOC shows up under the Advanced tab then.

SilentAV8R said:
Kelso Kubat said:
i am trying to setup the ioc on my phantom 2 using the mac version of the assistant software but there is no check box in the mac version... can someone help? :shock:

I use a Mac. I have a P2V and it was easy to enable the NAZA-M by simply clicking on the tab in the upper right corner.

IOC shows up under the Advanced tab then.

This is what i get when i go into the advanced tab. there is no check box for ion or anything like that in the other versions...
Im lost on how to activate it on my Futaba :shock:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 5.50.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 5.50.25 PM.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 439
Click the upper right where it says "Phantom" that will toggle you into NAZA-M mode. You can enable IOC, etc. there. If you want to go back to using just the Phantom mode, toggle that button again.

You should have your aircraft hooked up to the USB and turned on too. Make sure to take the props off first (takes 10 seconds and it is the safest thing to do).

I have flown my FC40 once. Home Lock did not seem to work for me.

I have 4.02 firmware and have enabled IOC using the Assistant program.

It was pretty windy and I used Return To Home successfully

It was in GPS mode the entire time I flew it. I did the magnet callibration before I flew it.

When I pulled the stick back, it moved rearward of the direction it was pointing.

As for Course lock, If I had the copter facing away from me when it took off and I flew in a straight line away from me, would it fly back to me if I pulled the stick back regardless of which direction it was pointing?

I understand Home Lock, but Course Lock is still confusing to me. I will reread the excellent explanations in this thread.

darwin-t said:
I have flown my FC40 once. Home Lock did not seem to work for me.

I have 4.02 firmware and have enabled IOC using the Assistant program.

It was pretty windy and I used Return To Home successfully

It was in GPS mode the entire time I flew it. I did the magnet callibration before I flew it.

When I pulled the stick back, it moved rearward of the direction it was pointing.

Did you have HL selected with the left switch on your controller? Also, HL only works when 30ft or more away from the home point...within that radius the Phantom will respond as normal.

OI Photography said:
Did you have HL selected with the left switch on your controller? Also, HL only works when 30ft or more away from the home point...within that radius the Phantom will respond as normal.

Yes, I had the left switch set to Home Lock and yes it was more than 30 feet away. And the right switch was set to GPS.

I also hooked my quad up to my laptop when I got home and verified the operation of the switches several times using the Assistant program, as I have heard there switches are pretty poor quality.

I'll try it again as soon as the winds die down. Hopefully early tomorrow morning. I'll report my results here.

OI Photography said:
Also, HL only works when 30ft or more away from the home point...within that radius the Phantom will respond as normal.

In another thread people say that Phantom will switch to CL when it flies inside 30 ft boundary?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4