Making IOC and Home Lock work properly

Reaction score
Guys, i am searching for help about the IOC and home lock functions. I have been test flying my phantom a lot and I can NOT get home lock to work. I read the manual. I fly in a big open area and I have complete satellite coverage. I see that the advanced manual has a way to set the home lock function manually. I've tried this. I've tried everything but no matter what I do, when the Phantom is away from me more than 10m/30ft the IOC doesnt work. The nose direction is still the direction the Phantom flies in.

It is clear that the NUMBER ONE problem with the Phantom for me is that when you fly it far away from you you cannot tell what direction the nose is pointing. That would mean that home lock and IOC would be very useful. Once the Phantom is well over 100m/300ft away from you you can no longer see the nose direction. You can always try to turn it and fly it back which is pretty easy with no wind. If there is any wind or you are at altitude it is very difficult and is my biggest worry to date.

I am good at flying on a football field. That's a piece of cake. But once you get the Phantom to the far end of the football field and you cannot tell the nose direction then its tough to fly home. I tried IOC and home lock and it doesnt work for me.

Does anyone have a step-by-step procedure they know is appropriate for making home lock work????

I have tried everything and I have come to the conclusion either 1. this function does not work with my phantom or 2. for some reason, I am not doing it right.

A proper procedure for making sure the IOC has established a home point and will work properly is important. Can you help?

thanks in advance.

fxpro888 said:
Does anyone have a step-by-step procedure they know is appropriate for making home lock work????

I have tried everything and I have come to the conclusion either 1. this function does not work with my phantom or 2. for some reason, I am not doing it right.

A proper procedure for making sure the IOC has established a home point and will work properly is important. Can you help?

It's a lot to learn..
but have you watched ALL the videos yet? :D
you have to download the software and install it on a PC (or a Mac running windows)

http://wiki.dji-innovations.com/en/inde ... n_fails.29

Once you have it enabled, it'll record a home position when you attach the battery, let the Phantom warm up properly , wait for a single green blink and you're good to go.

you can also re-record a new home direction if you flip 5+ times between Off and CL (for a new Course lock direction), or between CL and HL (to record a new Home Location)

HL is pretty awesome, I've used it a few times to bring my Phantom back when I lost my orientation flying into the sun.

Gizmo3000 said:
fxpro888 said:

It's a lot to learn..
but have you watched ALL the videos yet? :D
you have to download the software and install it on a PC (or a Mac running windows) to enable it using the NAZA software.

http://wiki.dji-innovations.com/en/inde ... n_fails.29

Once you have it enabled, it'll record a home position when you attach the battery, let the Phantom warm up properly , wait for a single green blink and you're good to go.

you can also re-record a new home direction if you flip 5+ times between Off and CL (for a new Course lock direction), or between CL and HL (to record a new Home Location)

HL is pretty awesome, I've used it a few times to bring my Phantom back when I lost my orientation flying into the sun.

You have to turn it on via software (DJI NAZAM Assistant 2.02) and connect your phantom to your PC via USB.

Have you done that step yet?

1)start up the Naza software.
2)hookup the Phantom to the computer.
3)cick the advanced button
4)click the IOC button
5)check the small box next to the border of small window
now your finished.

Do all the above and then turn on GPS.
The IOC wont work if its in manual mode, or atti. mode, it MUST be in GPS mode.
I had the same issues thinking my phantom wasn't working, then I realized it worked when on GPS. Thats what I have found anyway.
Another thing is your Phantom has to be ON when plugged into your computer,if you need to use your software. The USB will not turn power up the Naza hardware. That means the TX as well, to verify proper connection, and initial start-up.

The more I read about Manual mode the less I like the idea of it... What DJI calls manual mode is something I haven't seen on the low end quad rotors I have used.

jdawson said:
The more I read about Manual mode the less I like the idea of it... What DJI calls manual mode is something I haven't seen on the low end quad rotors I have used.

I wouldn't touch Manual Mode with a ten foot pole.

I guess it's available as an option for the super-crazy people who want to fly their phantom not as a video platform, but for "sport" and doing loops and rolls and stuff. .. something I never care to attempt,. flying in ATTI mode alone is scary enough as it is!

I would like to give everyone here a big THANK YOU!!!

Your responses helped my very much.

I did exactly as you said, hooked up the Phantom to my comp via USB and activated the IOC via the software interface.

I had no idea this was required. Thanks for sharing. Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.

I took my Phantom out just now and tested it and the home lock function worked perfectly!!!!

Thanks!

Home lock has been really useful when phantom is so far away that it is not possible to detect if craft is moving away or towards you, especially near trees etc. Does not happen very often though.
Tried manual mode but a lot of correction inputs needed so flicked back into stabilised mode very quickly! Will try again at altitude.

I find HL a little challenging in that it has a radial characteristic. CL seems to make more sense. It flys in straight lines.

At least as I'm seeing it!

db

dbrack said:
I find HL a little challenging in that it has a radial characteristic. CL seems to make more sense. It flys in straight lines.

At least as I'm seeing it!

Just gotta remember that it all starts off based on where the Phantom is pointing when you boot her up! (or set home location). :D

threw me off a bit.

I can't say i really like "flying" in HL, I gave it a whirl last weekend, and it really is weird having the craft fly around such a bit radius. However the ability to pull back on the stick to bring the craft back to you is a way handy feature to use when it's so far away you can't tell which direction it's pointing.

I have tried all the suggestions; turned in on via the software, wait for green light and no reds (indicating at least 6 satellites), put in GPS mode, left switch in HL position but it will not work. Any other suggestions before I return this as defective?

Thanks

to frankdcohen:

Intelligent Orientation Control is not turned on when you get the Phantom out of the box. You have to download and install the Phantom Naza-M software, connect the PC and Phantom with a USB cable, and use the software to turn on that feature. It took me almost a month to find out why this [to me] very useful feature wasn't turned on by default. Apparently Colin Guinn thought it was better this way, a decision with which I respectfully disagree. I use Home Lock at least once almost every time I fly.

It was a little scary using the software for the first time, but from then on Home Lock has worked like a charm. It makes sense to me that I pull back on the right-hand stick and the Phantom returns to me from wherever it is on a direct radius. Unlike others, I just can't understand Course Lock.

Michael McBain
Melbourne, Australia

Finally found the answer for HL , turn it on in S/Ware, dunno why it took me 2 weeks to find that out , but it dont say nothing about turning it on in the Manual via the software as far as I have read and that includes the advanced manual.

please help me understand this hole ioc thing. how is it useful and how do i use it. what is home lock and what is course lock and how are they different and when do i use one over the other. also what is the difference between gpi/atti and atti and when and why would i use one over the other. any help with these concepts would be apprecieated
thnkx
bill
[email protected] for email responces

photonetau said:
Finally found the answer for HL , turn it on in S/Ware, dunno why it took me 2 weeks to find that out , but it dont say nothing about turning it on in the Manual via the software as far as I have read and that includes the advanced manual.

DJI could have used a bit of help on their manuals and such,.
it seems that "DJI America" is too busy trying to sell products than to actually proof-read their manuals.

But if you scroll to the beginning of this thread,. it's mentioned a few times that they show you how it works and how to enable it (or at least they tell you to enable it), in their online video's.

http://www.dji-innovations.com/tutorial ... -tutorial/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGddG54b ... 8XhIrjtx3h

HOME LOCK is not enabled on brand new Phantoms right out of the box ??

I have iMac and would appreciate anyone telling me what version of WINDOWS to get and how they got it up and running on a iMac.

thanks

wsh6 said:

I have iMac and would appreciate anyone telling me what version of WINDOWS to get and how they got it up and running on a iMac.

thanks

I have calibrated both with Windows 7 & Windows 8 on two different computers. Win7 has worked everytime but Win8 sometimes does not recognize the USB connection unless PC is rebooted.

wsh6 said:

thanks

There are options short of buying a PC. Parallels and VM Fusion have been reported to work and also Virtual Box and perhaps CrossOver. The latter two don't require an install of Wondows and work via emulation of Win OS.

See http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1497 and search for other info here and on RCGroups.com and MultirotorForums.com.

Steve

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik