Maintenance

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've had my 3 Standard for about three months now and all is well. I am not a "spirited flier" and I've not had any real problems. I do have a question though and would appreciate any advice. What kind of maintenance to I need to do? So far I've only re-tightened the props and used compressed air in the motors. I've also wiped it with Windex. Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks

The phantoms are pretty much maintenance free WRT ongoing use. I always do a pre and post start inspection looking for any obvious cracks around the AC frame, check the condition of the props and occasionally inspect the mounting plates. I use a slightly damp microfibre cloth to clean both the RC and AC and would be very wary of using compressed air to clean out the motors unless I had a sand or dirt ingress event. May end up forcing crud into the motors and that will give you grief.
Battery maintenance is my main focus, always fly with a fully charged battery, try and land at 30% and never lower than 20%. If I'm not flying for a week or so, charge the batteries up to 50% and set them aside.
I've flown over 700 klms, a couple of hundred flights and all is well so far.

The phantoms are pretty much maintenance free WRT ongoing use. I always do a pre and post start inspection looking for any obvious cracks around the AC frame, check the condition of the props and occasionally inspect the mounting plates. I use a slightly damp microfibre cloth to clean both the RC and AC and would be very wary of using compressed air to clean out the motors unless I had a sand or dirt ingress event. May end up forcing crud into the motors and that will give you grief.
Battery maintenance is my main focus, always fly with a fully charged battery, try and land at 30% and never lower than 20%. If I'm not flying for a week or so, charge the batteries up to 50% and set them aside.
I agree with you as far as using compressed air. It may create more problems than good. Same would apply to the lubricant for the bearing...of course the top one is easy to do...but the bottom one is out of reach...
Do not ruin your fun of flying by going always scared of a malfunction...the DJI drones have proven reliability track so...enjoy!

Reactions: davecarter39
Thanks very much for your comments, I appreciate them very much. What does WRT mean?

Hi everyone,
I've had my 3 Standard for about three months now and all is well. I am not a "spirited flier" and I've not had any real problems. I do have a question though and would appreciate any advice. What kind of maintenance to I need to do? So far I've only re-tightened the props and used compressed air in the motors. I've also wiped it with Windex. Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks
I'm like you and only fly occasionally. It takes some getting use to trust the mechanics. Still afraid it's gonna drop out of the sky. But then again, I've never heard of guys like us crashing or losing their birds.Mine has never left line of sight.

My biggest focus are the batts and props. One my first flights took off, didn't notice I was in ATTI and it drifted into a tree branch and chipped off some of the props. It flew fine after that but I replaced them anyway.

I would guess 99% of malfunctions, crashes, fly-aways, and dropping out of the sky are due to pilot error.

Reactions: davecarter39

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl