Maiden Drone Flight Phobia (MaDFliP or MADFLIP)

Reaction score
It seems that many new Phantom owners are afraid to take their bird out for it's maiden flight for a number of reasons. They seem to suffer from Maiden Drone Flight Phobia or MADFLIP. I know I did, especially after reading all the blogs about fly-always and crashes. MADFLIP can be lessened by starting out with something like a Syma, and spending several hours on the DJI simulator. The old expression "Practice makes perfect" really helps new pilots obtain reflex action.

I think there are several flight issues that may be contributing to crashes which can be avoided completely or practiced until they can become quick reflex actions.

First, make sure to set return home height and compass calibration properly. Practice on simulator correct roll movements when bird is moving toward and away from you. If near a tree, a wrong stick movement can fly your bird into the tree. Practice allowing for braking distance. On your maiden flight, keep it simple in P-Mode. If possible, fly in a flat field sans trees, bushes, etc. Don't get fancy and try to fly through "tree tunnels," under power lines, and around buildings. It took me over three weeks to overcome MADFLIP.

On a windless day I got my nerve up and went out and did all the calibrations, set RC to Beginners mode, and used auto take-off followed by auto land. I then did a hover, moved about 20 feet in all directions and then back. I did a stationary yaws both CW and CCW. I did several manual lift offs and landings with varying altitudes. I left the camera alone so not to become distracted. Then I quit for the day. I still used the simulator at night and added more distance, altitude, rolls, and yaws each day.

Clear Flying

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Numone
I admit, I was excited to fly, but at the same time not in a fantastic hurry to get outside and fly. I like you, spent a lot of time reading and learning.

The Fly away and crash stories were the factors that prevented me from simply unboxing, and sending it into the air. I think this level of "fear" is good and did prevent me from doing stupid stuff the first day.

IT seems most wreaks are within the first few weeks of owning one. It is also clear that many of these wreaks are totally user error.

For now, all my flights have been in big open areas with very little for me to run into. I have no plans to try threading needles, or go into tunnels, or go under cars.

I agree start out small, small movements take it slow. With all the "Drone Fail" compilations on YouTube just about anyone could get MADFLIP lol.

Took me more than two months to summon the courage to make the first maiden flight. I didn't even open the box for three weeks as I read as much as I could on flying, pre-flight checks, setup etc. etc. I think all the reading, using the sim, reading and re-reading paid-off. That 3 minute maiden flight was terrifying and even now, with more than 15 hours in the air over 130 flights, I still get slight nervousness and butterfly excitement when I start those motors...!

100% agree with this! First the initial buzz about wanting the Phantom, ordering the Phantom and then receiving the Phantom and then the nerves struck! Unfortunately I was unable to head out on the day due to wind and rain so had to delay and then delay ... Finally got to fly it for the first time and absolutely hated it but enjoyed it so much at the same time.

Luckily Ive been flying quads for the past 6 months or so, little hubsans and symas etc, so felt completely in control of the Phantom from day 1. Having the experience of flying FPV before flying the Phantom definitely has helped.

Unfortunately only had chance to take the P3A up twice (weather and work load) but cannot wait to take it out more and more once the University workload dries up after this week! Exciting times!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I seem to be the reverse of the norm, I was very confident at first with my P2+ and used to really enjoy taking it out and pushing it to its limits. I found have that in the eighteen months that I have been flying my confidence has waned and I took it around to my new neighbours a few days ago to show them how a drone works and get some pics of their property and I forgot how to take off for a while, I was nervous about flying it.
I have done about fifty flights now.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj