MADE IN CHINA.... thoughts?

Reaction score
The other day I wanted to place a small American flag sticker on my P3P and then realized, wait... this thing is made in China and I have to admit it made me a little sad. Of course a good thing to note is that a lot of this technology comes from American innovations such as GPS but still. Anyone have any thoughts on this? You can now say that there is a lot of innovation coming out of China along with strong manufacturing which is a good thing but still... lol

Last edited:
Normally Chinese products are priced very low but not the P3.

Where was your sticker made?

What was your point in placing the sticker on the Phantom? I think this is what needs to be considered.

I would place what ever flag you're proud of on your phantom.
I wouldn't dwell on where things are made these days. Most products, especially in the tech industry aren't made solely in one place anymore.
Every country has their own contributions to things we use and enjoy daily.
Proudly apply the flag you wish and enjoy.

Reactions: Mario_SB
Until Americans wake up, it will continue. I don't look at Chinese products as cheap, I look at them as extremely efficient. They can produce anything they want, at any price point, and extreme fast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Until Americans wake up, it will continue. I don't look at Chinese products as cheap, I look at them as extremely efficient. They can produce anything they want, at any price point, and extreme fast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agreed. They come up with an idea and all they have to do is walk next door to one of the many manufacturing plants and say, "Hey can you do this?" and that's it. Super efficient!

then realized, wait... this thing is made in China
That's no surprise considering the founder of DJI (Frank Wang) is from China.

Reactions: Mario_SB

Yup! He's like the Mark Zuckerberg of the Drone world. Good for him! He's definitely bringing us some innovative stuff. I really like how they merged their, Lightbridge technology into the P3. If they were greedy, like... ahem...Apple, they could have totally raised the price point of the P3 and we probably would have still bought it. Maybe? lol Good stuff.

Last edited:
There's a ton of American IP and technologies in the P3. But like many things, it is made up of components and technologies that are most often manufactured outside the US. What makes DJI products fairly unique is they are designed, marketed and owned by a Chinese company. With the exception of 3DR, the US lags far behind in civilian drone design.

My X8 frame is from Korea, the flight controller and HD downlink from China, the motors and ESCs are American, the gimbal is from Vietnam and the camera from Japan.

We live in a global economy where everything is designed, supplied and built internationally.

Reactions: III% Streve
There's a ton of American IP and technologies in the P3. But like many things, it is made up of components and technologies that are most often manufactured outside the US. What makes DJI products fairly unique is they are designed, marketed and owned by a Chinese company. With the exception of 3DR, the US lags far behind in civilian drone design.

My X8 frame is from Korea, the flight controller and HD downlink from China, the motors and ESCs are American, the gimbal is from Vietnam and the camera from Japan.

We live in a global economy where everything is designed, supplied and built internationally.

Agreed.

Beilieve it or not ,, we are all occupied by china, and the Chinese, in a way or other,

USA is a knowledge economy. China is a manufacturing economy.

What would be sad to me is if USA workers were making stickers at sticker factories. It's akin to longing for the olden days when we had professional typists and elevator operators. (which some countries still have to this day.)

What makes DJI products fairly unique is they are designed, marketed and owned by a Chinese company. With the exception of 3DR, the US lags far behind in civilian drone design.

3DR mostly puts together components - in Mexico - like most other drone manufacturers. Pixhawk is based on APM with a few modifications as far as I can see. Not much innovation at 3DR.

I don't necessarily think USA is lagging behind. USA is the leader in drone technology. What the military has 5 years ago, the public might get 5 years in the future.

Companies that have competency in this space are not going to bother with a hyper competitive market where even the top company has only 1B in revenue in their record braking year. Consumer hardware has always been a lousy business that doesn't have much staying power. For the companies that can make epic consumer drones, the temptation simply isn't there; the market opportunity is tiny (they already have 30-60 Billion in revenues) and legal situation unclear. At best, they will let DJI sell to the masses as they take over commercial applications - when such applications actually have a market and regulatory framework.

This could get political real fast, but I believe American engineering and innovation is the best in the world as long as it is allowed to be. Regulation, "the world owes me something" attitude and how wealthy people and corporations are despised is killing us. This is a culture thing and we need to push the RTH button.

Reactions: JKDSensei
When I was a little kid in the early 60s, all the cheap stuff said "Made in Japan". You never wanted to buy something that said "Made in Japan" because it was always junk.

Every thing is made in China now a day, even Apple products.

Only way if more American made products will happen is if you can lower the manufacturing cost. You try to convince all the factory workers in America to accept much lower wage to compete with what the Chinese factory workers are getting paid now. If you are one of those factory workers, are you happy to accept a pay cut to say a quarter of what you are getting paid now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers