M.A.R.S lite parachute kit

Ya that one looked like it holds a bigger chute and being its heavier then the p3 its defiantly going to need a bigger chute in that hubsan one. Because if it was as small as the chutes for the p3s which are already way to small for there weight then the hubsan one has to be bigger to have much hope of it saving one of them if the chute is needed. I even seen a test with a double mars light system on a p3 and even tho it slowed it down more then just one. It still looked like it hit the ground pretty hard. and some charts I seen for chute sizes for different weights and speed reductions show a phantom 3 could really use some thing more like a 45-48 inch chute which is also about the size I am guessing that that hubsan one would have or at least should have in it. So if the weight is not to bad and it can be hooked on to a p3 some how. would be awesome.

Ya that one looked like it holds a bigger chute and being its heavier then the p3 its defiantly going to need a bigger chute in that hubsan one. Because if it was as small as the chutes for the p3s which are already way to small for there weight then the hubsan one has to be bigger to have much hope of it saving one of them if the chute is needed. I even seen a test with a double mars light system on a p3 and even tho it slowed it down more then just one. It still looked like it hit the ground pretty hard. and some charts I seen for chute sizes for different weights and speed reductions show a phantom 3 could really use some thing more like a 45-48 inch chute which is also about the size I am guessing that that hubsan one would have or at least should have in it. So if the weight is not to bad and it can be hooked on to a p3 some how. would be awesome.
NEW INFOR AS OF 01-28....... Looks like the hubsan chute is bigger ?
"Supports the X4 Pro throughout a slow, gentle descent and lands it upside down to provide maximum protection for the camera and gimbal. Includes a re-usable, 1.25 m (49.2 in) parachute, 1S 3.7V 380mAh LiPo battery and servo. It's included on the X4 Pro FPV and a great option to consider for the X4 Pro Deluxe.".......I'm not a fan of the 1S battery

Last edited:
Reactions: Noble 1 and J.James
Ran three aggressive flights with my Mayday/ Mayday battery backpack and all went well. Changed, reset all servo positions and calibrated. Flew a total of 27 minutes total. Time now is an hour and 15 with Mayday on/servo set. Battery backpack instructions say up to 1-1/2 hours of reliable battery life. Outside temp. 45 degrees. [emoji4]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454032713.029838.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454032868.551402.jpg

Reactions: Noble 1
that's good news, you have the same one I have, unless they changed something inside, looks like I send Kyle a long email today about the one I have, I must have a "dud". I'm building a 2s that will weight in at 17grams as soon as it's done I'll post photo, it should be just a tad bigger than the 1s dud I have. I tested one yesterday and it was still running strong after 6 hours, which means I should be able to get a all day charge, the final battery will be 2s 7.4v 300mah....(this one here is not the final, just a test battery)
DSCF4475.JPG

Reactions: Jbundy63
I wish could do some testing on the may day. But I ended up some how getting a dude DOA mayday in on monday. it would not power on at all except if the usb plug was plugged in to the pc. But with just a battery it was dead as a door nail and needed to be replaced.

I wish could do some testing on the may day. But I ended up some how getting a dude DOA mayday in on monday. it would not power on at all except if the usb plug was plugged in to the pc. But with just a battery it was dead as a door nail and needed to be replaced.
well that really sucks, I know how you feel, I tryed my best to be "nice" when I sent an email out to Kyle, I'll give them a chance to make it right, it's a ***** we have so much money in these, if I only had a 3d printer I'd be making something like this, bottom feeder spring loaded, I still might find a way and add a 50" chute !! I'm working on it !!

build1.jpg

Reactions: Noble 1
I wonder whether a larger chute (thinner but larger.. without additional weight) would fit into the mars mini? I'm watching this thread with much interest to figure out what to do in this area as I'd really like to add a chute.

I wonder whether a larger chute (thinner but larger.. without additional weight) would fit into the mars mini? I'm watching this thread with much interest to figure out what to do in this area as I'd really like to add a chute.

I was thinking that as well, there's really no reason why the existing one can't be replaced with a larger chute with a little work.

well that really sucks, I know how you feel, I tryed my best to be "nice" when I sent an email out to Kyle, I'll give them a chance to make it right, it's a ***** we have so much money in these.

Ya it did suck but I was real glad the place I got it from space city drones. was wicked cool and was going to rush ship me a replacement right away but being i was real tied up this week with car and truck troubles I told him he could just sent it priority mail and no need to go spending extra to rush it to me being I was busy as heck this week screwing around with all kinds of other bs around the house anyway. Tho I should do a follow up just to make sure its on the way.

if I only had a 3d printer I'd be making something like this, bottom feeder spring loaded, I still might find a way and add a 50" chute !! I'm working on it !!.

Thats another one of them ones I have the files for and 1 or 2 other versions that person made. and I was going to print on up just to check it out but I had no idea how that one worked or what servo it needed. But the funny thing is that the other day I was thinking about the ones like that that the chute just drops off the holder like the mars light to. and was thinking of a few ways that could still maybe have some sort of spring plate or some thing that would flip out and chuck the chute out some to help ensure a full deployment.

There was also another thread on the mars mini that I posted to yesterday with a few other ideas I had while I was brain storming the whole chute thing. I"m even realizing that the mars chutes for there small size are way over kill on the materials thickness and weight. Its not just heavy duty rip stop nylon it also seems like its coated and the water proof kind. Which is not the best material for such a small chute. Being its not like its going to be carrying a person to the ground and could use thinner material with out worry of it not being strong enough. and the coating on it adds weight and bulk. On top of it not being slick and slippery like real parachutes are. It also most even has a slight tacky feel to it. I thinner lighter weight chute thats bigger just might be more space and weight efficient. I even was thinking of real cheep chute idea. after some one mentioned they were not sure if the hubsan chute thing had a nylon or a plastic chute like them cheep ones for small model rockets and that even got me thinking that even tho plastic is prob still strong enough to work for a chute for some thing as big as a phantom. It Also got me thinking about them plastic chutes. Then a few mins later I had to take the garbage out and it dawned on me as i was taking the garbage out just for snits and giggles I am think of seeing how good a hefty none taring trash bag even works for super light and compact chute material.. lol It seems way way stronger then plane old trashbags that I used to make toy parachutes for my GI joe guys and stuff when I was a kid. Them tear proof hefty bags are incredibly strong even when punctured. It sucks to that I used the last one in our box and never got to weight one to see how heavy a whole bag is but it feels pretty light and I can roll them up pretty small.

BTW the other 3d printed tube laucher redesign project got side tracked big time on me because of haveing to fix both my car and truck this week. But I'm pretty sure I'm close to my final version of the redesign done last night to make it less bulky and not as heavy. I'm Running a print of it now.
It was a real sob of a project to and ended up that it was easier to just redesign all the parts from scratch then it was to try and edit the stl files for the original version to tweek the design.

not saying you can't go bigger, but sometimes "bigger is not better".
UAS Parachute Recovery Tutorial | Fruity Chutes!
This is not "God's" law it's just the general rule of thumb....lol

HaHaHaHa......it's a shame you had to cannibalize two "Y's", but where is the Balance leads ? Just kidding, I forgot your not a "newbie" like some on here.......lol.....I think your going to like my final battery if the darn part comes in tomorrow !!

HaHaHaHa......it's a shame you had to cannibalize two "Y's", but where is the Balance leads ? Just kidding, I forgot your not a "newbie" like some on here.......lol.....I think your going to like my final battery if the darn part comes in tomorrow !!
[emoji4] Ready to see it! [emoji106]

I've been super busy working I've not been back to this thread in some time. Thank you guys so much for all the brainstorming. I was at wits end trying to find a reasonable alternative to the P3Lite or the Mars Mini. The Hubsan X4 is even more expensive and heavy and still requires a mod to the bird. That's why I went with suggesting 3D printing. Great work. Kudos to Kieth L and JJ.

There are open source hacker-spaces with public 3D printers at library's and universities all over. I haven't had time to sit down with my CAD program but once we get a reliable prototype is be happy to fund the materials at cost plus shipping.

I suppose I leaned away from the chute model mainly from price avulsuin on the Mars Site. It's a rip. It's also heavy as a tank! It can be lighter!!! The only pieces which need reinforcement if we are duping a Mars Mini is the spring launch platform and the lid hinges. Those are critical.

If you are looking for minimalist approach (cheapest) we just need a mounting plate like the one used on Mars P3Lite and we are good to go.

Can you please post your most recent prototypes? Or screen shot of the file design might be better to see on my phone.

I don't mind helping with R&D lets keep this low cost low weight and Open source. We spent enough $ on these birds... Let's not be gouged now to keep them safe.

Here is a DIY project I almost did before I met you guys on PhantomPilots.com.
The tube is a super bowl football air horn and it sells for about $9 on google shopping. As far as I can determine its the lightest complete parachute mod which includes a tube and servo.

Strong work!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

HOLLY COW ! That is so cool.....".Hubsan X4 is even more expensive and heavy", WTF ? Just kidding.....lol.....The hubsan is really cheaper cause it has that "BB" trigger and Battery included, but of course it's two draw backs are the mount and it's weight.......remember more weight = less flying time
I know what that is now, it's a hillbilly parachute design.......heeheehee, but I like it

Lol... Ghetto mod. Seems legit.
[emoji16][emoji12]
I guess we have a lot to be grateful for since we have Amazon prime and 3D printers now while some chaps are still making parachute mods with sticks, soda bottles, and umbrella nylon. Lol... And he even used carbon fiber skin to wrap the chute...

HOLLY COW ! That is so cool.....".Hubsan X4 is even more expensive and heavy", WTF ? Just kidding.....lol.....The hubsan is really cheaper cause it has that "BB" trigger and Battery included, but of course it's two draw backs are the mount and it's weight.......remember more weight = less flying time
I know what that is now, it's a hillbilly parachute design.......heeheehee, but I like it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak