Lynn phan is a champ - getting thru airport security

Reaction score
I took my phantom 4 with me on holidays throughout australia NZ and europe catching about 12 flights domestic and international.

In that time i.ve been pulled up twice. Once the security person just had a quick look and recognised the phantom4 said she had seen a few and let me thru.

The second time i got stopped the old guy mumbled something about wattage and started doing some calculations on his cslculator and started mumbling about it being too high, i remembered Lynn Phans website and quickly found the airworthy certificate (which shows wattage). He then let me thru saying he did the calculations wrong! (Yes i know p=vi but i wasn.t going to tell him his calcs were wrong!)

Anyway lesson learned, i will make sure i print the airworthy certificate next time!

Btw all batteries were half 3/4 empty and in separate resealable plastic bags

Heres tge website with certificates
Phantom 4 Mods & Custom Tips by Lynh Phan - Dronethusiast

Does anyone have a clearer or scanned copy of the certificate?

Reactions: treeboy
i got stopped the old guy mumbled something about wattage and started doing some calculations on his cslculator and started mumbling about it being too high, i remembered Lynn Phans website and quickly found the airworthy certificate (which shows wattage). He then let me thru saying he did the calculations wrong!
There's no need for a calculator or paperwork.
The P4 battery has it's capacity shown clearly on the side.
Rated capacity = 5350 mAh = 81.3 Wh
DJI-Phantom-4-12-980x653.jpg

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
I have just returned to New Zealand after taking my P4 around Europe and Asia on 11 flights - the p4 and transmitter in checked luggage, and 2 batteries in carry-on, got attention at Heathrow where they wanted me to remove the batteries from the lipo bags (?) then were happy, The other time in Shanghai (transit) where they examined the batteries for what seemed about 5 minutes, chatting to each other and passing the batteries around, told me they looked too large, even after I pointed out the 83W marking, thought I was about to lose them when suddenly they handed them back and said ok, much to my relief - pher!, I think I will take your advice from now and print a copy of the of the certificate.

In addition to what Meta4 pointed out above, all you'll need is this page printed out.

Reactions: Flying Dutchman
There's no need for a calculator or paperwork.
The P4 battery has it's capacity shown clearly on the side.
Rated capacity = 5350 mAh = 81.3 Wh
DJI-Phantom-4-12-980x653.jpg
Funny but in the heat of the moment i didn.t see the wattage as its in smaller font and i didn.t have the battery he had it

I'm going to Australia in decent for a holiday, did you have any hassles flying in the country ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I traveled from Australia to Scotland through Qatar with my p4 and 3 batteries in my backpack and didn't get pulled up once. They didn't check the battery wattage or levels once. Its actually amusing to go through security without a single issue and watch people getting pulled up for having too much hand cream/liquids etc.

I would recommend being spot on with your liquids and being thorough taking your laptop/ipad/iphone out and you wont have any issues. I think if they pull you up for liquids/not allowed items in your bag and then see a drone you might get some closer scrutiny..

I'm going to Australia in decent for a holiday, did you have any hassles flying in the country ?

I traveled from Australia to Scotland through Qatar with my p4 and 3 batteries in my backpack and didn't get pulled up once. They didn't check the battery wattage or levels once. Its actually amusing to go through security without a single issue and watch people getting pulled up for having too much hand cream/liquids etc.

I would recommend being spot on with your liquids and being thorough taking your laptop/ipad/iphone out and you wont have any issues. I think if they pull you up for liquids/not allowed items in your bag and then see a drone you might get some closer scrutiny..
Thanks!

Nope, I printed out the specification sheet from the DJI website and kept it in my travel folder, left one battery in the drone and the other in a bag within the backpack and declared it each time I flew, both domestically and internationally. If the security crowd in the Philippines reckon its ok, you can probably take it anywhere. Customs had a peek at it in Perth and asked how much it cost and where could they get one....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers