Lume Cubes

Reaction score
I recently performed a test flight with some Lume Cubes. Stability was a bit touchy but the flight went fine ( shorter flight time by approx 5 min).

My issue was on preflight. I received a “Compass stuck” message which prevented my motors from engaging. I performed the IMU self test.... no calibration required... and my compass magically became unstuck.
I was about 50 feet from my truck in a desert environment.

Has any experienced any compass issues with the Lume Cube? Maybe my first time experience was a fluke.

I saw a previous thread on Lume Cube but is was a dated thread.

Thanks

Internal battery. It runs off an app on iPhone. The lights can double as anti-collision lights, camera flash or remain on constantly.

I just used them for the first time tonight... they are very bright and definitely enhanced some of my video footage.

Some batteries have enough metal to possibly create a compass issue.
Probably more of where you put them in relation to the other hardware in the ac.

17F5C14F-43FF-4B69-8F35-4438ED0C646D.jpeg

Attachments

• 81449495-7C37-43FC-80A7-23CEF8026373.jpeg
    81449495-7C37-43FC-80A7-23CEF8026373.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 287
Just how much do they weight per side....they are much bigger then i thought they were....and some slight drag issues too..that's very understandable hanging square boxes out their like that and now i see why one guy here don't prefer them !

Just how much do they weight per side....they are much bigger then i thought they were....and some slight drag issues too..that's very understandable hanging square boxes out their like that and now i see why one guy here don't prefer them !

According to the Lume Cube Website they weigh 1 oz per mount... my Sesame Street brain says they weigh a bit more but not much. The drag is minimal ( I am not racing) the controls are bit more touchy and my flight time was decreased by about 5 minutes.

I have two Lume Cubes with mounts for my Phantom 4 Pro. They each weigh 5.2 ounces, so 10.4 ounces total. Controls are touchy and flight time reduced. But the light from them is incredible. Have never had a compass error with them. I mount one on each side with the Cubes pointed down at about a 45° angle. From the front they are very visible, but not from the back. The ads say they are FAA Daylight Waiver compliant, but I wonder about visibility from the back. Are the Cree strobes better?

Trumper07 I was wondering why you mounted them that way and not with the mount they sell for them? Or is that the mount, but zip tied on a different way? Thanks

Interesting! I bought a stick on LED light from Banggood that had its own battery. It worked fine until after about 5 seconds when the LED heat melted the stickon glue and it fell off! Don't try this type!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Trumper07 I was wondering why you mounted them that way and not with the mount they sell for them? Or is that the mount, but zip tied on a different way? Thanks
Great question.... if you look on the Lume Cube website the sell a specific package for Phantom 3 Standard.....which my beautiful wife bought for me as a gift.... but if you read the “ SPECS” it says it’s for a Phantom 4. So when I recieved them the mounts did not fit. But zip ties worked great.

I have attempted 2xs to contact the Lume Cube.... but..... the lights are amazing.... customer service not so much.

Lucky me......I am in to electronics and i buy a few parts and use a ole toy drones small rechargeable battery and i put together a nice neat "O" led strobe that gets the job done nicely..its very lite weight and mounts across the landing gear legs from one side to the other side...i love to mount it on the last flight at dusk and fly my last battery....The circuit is very simple !

Way... too HIGH priced for me too...Whewwwwwwwww.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.