Lots of haze in videos and photos?

Reaction score
I have been getting a lot of haze in my videos and photos on my used p3 pro that I just bought. I never got this with my p3s, and usually use either an nd 8 or 16 filter from DJI. I don't have a polarizer yet.

I have been using d log, and keep the ISO at 100, and could it just be something I need to adjust in post production?
Just wondering if I got a bad camera.
Here's an example

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Looking at my settings, I had it on 5000k so, I'll bump it up more.

D-log may be the problem. It's pretty useless in general outdoor shots and has inconsistent tone curves that can create haze in many shots. I would suggest just using the "None" setting. Unless you already did that and both settings show the haze.

Mike

D-log is only for using color correction with your video editor. If you want a better picture just out of the box, use none.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't make sense to do d log, seeing that the only video editor I can get to work on my pc is the Microsoft movie maker.

to use effectively d-log you would need adobe premier, final cut or Davinci Resolve. Just use the presets in your dji go, none or vivid are very good.

Regardless of which preset you use, there are times when the air is simply full of haze. You really can't eliminate haze - it is particulates suspended in the air. That said, depending on where the sun is in relation to the camera it will appears better or worse. When you are shooting in the direction of the sun these particlates become much more visible. This is evident in your video. In the first part the sun is more behind the camera and the air is relatively clear. When you spin around and shoot back at the direction you came from everything is backlit, including the air making the haze much more visible.

During the summer when it is more evident you can plan shoots at different times depending on which direction you need to fly and where the sun is. Also, the sky will typically be much cleaner and clearer after a cold front moves through you area. Polarizer filters can help especially when not shooting directly back at the sun.

What's a good cp polarizer under $30? I'm thinking of either the mudder or hobby ace on Amazon.

I noticed this problem too. I think it's a result of the Phantom 3 giving you more control of the video. My P2 always gave me crisp clear video out of the box. I edit the color in post now to get rid of the haze, which I find to mostly be a contrast issue.

I have been getting a lot of haze in my videos and photos on my used p3 pro that I just bought. I never got this with my p3s, and usually use either an nd 8 or 16 filter from DJI. I don't have a polarizer yet.

I have been using d log, and keep the ISO at 100, and could it just be something I need to adjust in post production?
Just wondering if I got a bad camera.
Here's an example

If you shoot in D-Cine you can then go into a film processor and adjust the Gamma down and slightly increase the color and lighting and that will wipe out the haze in the video I also found shooting in the D-log filter seemed to reduce the haze but I still tweaked the Gamma down. This also works for all photos.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl