Lost power and crashed

Just a thought, that was an iron or steel bridge, with rock out cropping on each side. Several red flags for me.
1) Steel bridge, bad juju, compass errors common.
2) Bridge and rock both bad for GPS signals.
3) Venturi effect, water flowing through the gap, pushed air with it, as it passes the gap, the wind speeds up, then as it leave the gap, pressure drops and turbulence is likely.
I know you were aware of the dangers, I could see it in your flight path. So not chastising, but rather pointing out indicators for analyzing this flight before hand.
Hope it works well, I would let it dry a bit extra, just to be sure. Fresh water is not so bad, if you got it out in time, maybe no real damage.:)
That is not really true at all. I fly around steel all the time. Zero issues. This is really only an issue when calibrating the compass.
The bridge and rocks have nothing to do with GPS issues. Where in the world did you get that information?
The water is a little stream and the bridge is wide open, there is zero wind being push with the water. What in the world?
Besides, he had a power issue, not a GPS issue.

I just watched your video. It really seems like a clear case of your compass getting messed up by the iron in the bridge. It makes the drone hard to handle and it will fly away on its own. It happened to me once. Re calibrate and all should be well.
False, you are giving uneducated bad advise, confusing and complicating things.

That is not really true at all. I fly around steel all the time. Zero issues. This is really only an issue when calibrating the compass.
The bridge and rocks have nothing to do with GPS issues. Where in the world did you get that information?
The water is a little stream and the bridge is wide open, there is zero wind being push with the water. What in the world?
Besides, he had a power issue, not a GPS issue.
Flying under a steel bridge can effect signals, as can rock walls, ever drive or ride a bike with a GPS? You can lose signal under trees, but under a metal bridge too.
Oh, in the video, Compass Error message, just as he went under, then the drone began to drift, and maybe lose power, but compass error was the 1st warning.

Flying under a steel bridge can effect signals, as can rock walls, ever drive or ride a bike with a GPS? You can lose signal under trees, but under a metal bridge too.
Oh, in the video, Compass Error message, just as he went under, then the drone began to drift, and maybe lose power, but compass error was the 1st warning.

Where did you see a compass error? I don't think it's possible to conclude anything without at least the mobile device log. We need the OP back for that.

I flew one time under a big bridge and nothing happens as you can see in the video below:

False, you are giving uneducated bad advise, confusing and complicating things.
Geez, don't you ever read the manual, was one of your quotes In a past post. The manual says, "2. Only fly in open areas. Tall buildings and steel structures may affect the accuracy of the on- board compass and GPS signal."

I by experience flew over my metal roof and my phantom went crazy. You seem to be very intelligent. I am always wanting to learn more and I am open. I never knowingly want to mislead anyone. I disagree with your statement. Show me the facts without personal opinions.

Last edited:
Sorry - that's nonsense - where did you see the warning? This was a narrow bridge, which doesn't appear to be completely made of steel and it wouldn't effect the compass. Let's wait for the upload, albeit the OP hasn't been seen for a while....

Sorry - that's nonsense - where did you see the warning? This was a narrow bridge, which doesn't appear to be completely made of steel and it wouldn't effect the compass. Let's wait for the upload, albeit the OP hasn't been seen for a while....
I am a bit confused, I either have mistaken one crash for another or something. I could have sworn I saw a flash of Compass Lost, but now I do not see it. Not sure how I got off on this, too many threads perhaps, but of course, only a flight log will tell us what happened.

Given you were flying the AC below you (but the antennas still seem to vertical?) and flying left to right, are you completely sure that as you lost sight of the AC as it passed under the bridge, you didn't just get disorientated and lost control? I've flown once with the AC below me and I suddenly found my brain, and thereby my fingers, frying a little!

At some point drone just started to go down. I tried to lift it up, but it continued go down. At this point I decided to get it to the riverside.
But I accept that my position was wrong. Well, lesson has been learned.

At some point drone just started to go down. I tried to lift it up, but it continued go down. At this point I decided to get it to the riverside.
But I accept that my position was wrong. Well, lesson has been learned.

Are you going to post the log files or not? If not then there is nothing to be learned here at all.

Guys, the drone works. Thank you all for all advices and opinions. I will try to get log file, but it's quite difficult as a lot of destructions around.

Reactions: cbrownknox
I tried landing on a steel boat and my p3p went into manual mode due to strong magnetic interference, Then the wind was pushing it around and causing erratic flight. It also ended up fully submerged. I dried it out for 2 days using lots of canned air and all was good. You could use a hair dryer to speed up the process but not too much heat. Mine was actually still on when I got it out of the water. Battery works fine also. If I had been watching my screen instead of the drone I would have noticed the exit from gps mode and maybe would have avoided the crash. My new motto is when in doubt go up lol. I have no doubt that the steel in bridge could have caused your problem. Also did you turn of the Vision positioning ? that gets a little erratic over water.

Are you going to post the log files or not? If not then there is nothing to be learned here at all.

Sorry guys. No Log file for now. Can't connect my Samsung to my wife's mac and can't download any supporting programmes. the hostel where we stay has the slowest Internet.
Will try to do it on Sunday if there will be any sense at that time.

:rolleyes:

Rod

Sorry guys. No Log file for now. Can't connect my Samsung to my wife's mac and can't download any supporting programmes. the hostel where we stay has the slowest Internet.
Will try to do it on Sunday if there will be any sense at that time.
Good thing is, your drone works. That's great.

Same happen to me on my PS3. Stayed in water for at least 30-45 min until I got a boater to get it for me. It was about 45 feet below canyon where I was. After getting it and shaking it a LOT to get water to drain out, then left it in Texas HOT car to help evaporate water. 3 days later new battery worked just fine. Still have it to this day and also have PS4 Pro now too.
Hello everyone,

Need an advice. I'm on holiday in Iceland and today my drone P3 Pro crushed due 'lost power'. Unfortunately it crashed into water.

On the video. At the point where I got under bridge and the drone started to go down this is where I couldn't go up and it was going down, so I decided to fly towards the rocky shore.

What to do next?
I know that if you doing everything right, I need to send it to the repair centre now. But I need it to fly for few more days if it possible of course :)

But before anything please help me with an advice how to get it dry and get a fly date log to understand what was a problem.
As I understand the battery that got wet should not be used in the future.

Thank for all your help and advices

Hello
Flying at very low altitude under that bridge prop wash hits water , turbulant air rises up to the bridge and bounces back towards your aircraft pushing it down . Air was being bounced around making your ac drop a bit . Not much room for maneuvering or error.
Under a higher bridge it problably would not be a problem.
Anyway just a thought and hope you have it back in the air soon. Curious to see what the Flight data recorder says .
Jose

I had a P4P crash in water and recovered it after 15 minutes. After a day under a fan blowing dry air across the drone, the flight electronics worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the more condensed electronics of the gimbal and camera failed to recover. DJI quoted me a relatively high price to replace these two items and then said that they would provide NO warranty for the drone repair after any type of water damage occured.

I liked your video, but agree with the statements above about the effect of flying close to large metal objects on your compass. I experienced radical flight behavior once when taking off from a wooden picnic table that had metal legs/supports beneath the wood. I had to land it immediately before gaining any altitude as it was extraordinarily unstable.

Reactions: igor.L

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl