Lost drone any assistance would be awesome

Reaction score
So I took off yesterday (Saturday) and about a minute into flight I noticed the drone (P3-4K) not responding and I looked at my screen and thought I saw something to the affect a motor failed. The wind was blowing the drone away from me and toward heavy trees and tall electrical lines so I was trying all kinds of things. One thing looking back, I probably should have hit the record button. Anyway, I started getting a weak signal warning so I tried initiating a return home, but it said it failed. After a couple minutes the signal was gone, so figured it went down.
I went to the camera view screen and hit the paper airplane at the top left and the end of flight showed in the middle of the trees/swamp area. I had to drive around to the other side to where I could actually get in there and walked the area and couldn't find anything. I didn't know about this, but later I hit the > and it shows a landing screen run. Does this mean the drone actually flew back? I went back to the spot I launched from and didn't see it, but now that I'm going over it again it looks like it maybe landed 1000' South?

So I took off yesterday (Saturday) and about a minute into flight I noticed the drone (P3-4K) not responding and I looked at my screen and thought I saw something to the affect a motor failed. The wind was blowing the drone away from me and toward heavy trees and tall electrical lines so I was trying all kinds of things. One thing looking back, I probably should have hit the record button. Anyway, I started getting a weak signal warning so I tried initiating a return home, but it said it failed. After a couple minutes the signal was gone, so figured it went down.
I went to the camera view screen and hit the paper airplane at the top left and the end of flight showed in the middle of the trees/swamp area. I had to drive around to the other side to where I could actually get in there and walked the area and couldn't find anything. I didn't know about this, but later I hit the > and it shows a landing screen run. Does this mean the drone actually flew back? I went back to the spot I launched from and didn't see it, but now that I'm going over it again it looks like it maybe landed 1000' South?
The answers to your questions are likely to be found in your recorded flight data.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Here is the log, disregard what I said about it possibly returning home, didn't realize the > just goes to the previous log which was the day prior in this instance. So is it fair to say the drone is not at the spot on the map, that was just the last spot it was detected? I see it was read at over 600' in altitude, so I don't see how it could have landed there.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2022-03-19_[17-30-04][1].txt
    270.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Here is the log, disregard what I said about it possibly returning home, didn't realize the > just goes to the previous log which was the day prior in this instance. So is it fair to say the drone is not at the spot on the map, that was just the last spot it was detected? I see it was read at over 600' in altitude, so I don't see how it could have landed there.
You had a little incident only 11 seconds after launching, with the drone 70 feet away and 50 ft higher than the launch point.
It looks like you might have clipped a tree or hit something?
But the drone recovered and two seconds later things were back to normal.

There was a lot of wind and at 48 seconds when the drone was hovering 94 ft up and trying to hold position, it was being blown to the NE at 4mph.
That would have been a good time to bring it back and keep it close.

But you continued flying downwind, letting it get further away and climbing which put the drone in even stronger winds.

At 1:55 you started losing signal due to distance.
By now the drone was 1500 ft away and 400 ft up, where the wind was too strong for the drone to fly against.
Signal was on/off for a short time before being lost completely at 2:13.6 with the drone 1600 feet to the northeast and 643 feet up and being blown further to the northeast.

On losing signal, the drone would have initiated RTH, but at >600 ft it will have continued blowing backwards.
There's not enough data to calculate the speed it would have been blown at or how far it would have gone before reaching critical low voltage and commenced autolanding.
But it might have been quite a long way further northeast from where signal was lost.

i-ZHMQRXG-L.jpg

You had a little incident only 11 seconds after launching, with the drone 70 feet away and 50 ft higher than the launch point.
It looks like you might have clipped a tree or hit something?
But the drone recovered and two seconds later things were back to normal.

There was a lot of wind and at 48 seconds when the drone was hovering 94 ft up and trying to hold position, it was being blown to the NE at 4mph.
That would have been a good time to bring it back and keep it close.

But you continued flying downwind, letting it get further away and climbing which put the drone in even stronger winds.

At 1:55 you started losing signal due to distance.
By now the drone was 1500 ft away and 400 ft up, where the wind was too strong for the drone to fly against.
Signal was on/off for a short time before being lost completely at 2:13.6 with the drone 1600 feet to the northeast and 643 feet up and being blown further to the northeast.

On losing signal, the drone would have initiated RTH, but at >600 ft it will have continued blowing backwards.
There's not enough data to calculate the speed it would have been blown at or how far it would have gone before reaching critical low voltage and commenced autolanding.
But it might have been quite a long way further northeast from where signal was lost.

i-ZHMQRXG-L.jpg
Sorry it has been so long since posting. I didn't hit anything, there isn't anything there to hit. Though it didn't record it, I thought I saw a motor error or something flash shortly after takeoff, but it went away. I went through some old logs and there was a few "speed errors". Suppose I have a motor going out? As for the wind, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of wind, but I am thinking the area might act like a windbreaker with the trees. Granted I didn't start to move the right stick forward until the wind was 20mph (I was trying to orient the drone and ensure I cleared the power lines. Anyway, if the drone has a max speed of 35mph shouldn't have been able to overcome that speed? Funny thing is the drone landed on a house a mile and a half down the way and there was a guy working on the house who checked out the video and posted on FB.

As for the wind, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of wind, but I am thinking the area might act like a windbreaker with the trees.
Between 40-50 seconds, you left the drone hovering 94 ft up.
It was unable to hold position and was being set off by 4 mph.
That's a good indication that the wind was going to be a problem and a warning to keep the drone from going further downwind or higher up.
You flew it 1600 ft downwind and took it up to 643 ft but didn't leave it hovering so we can't tell how much stronger the wind was at that level, but it will have been significantly more.
Anyway, if the drone has a max speed of 35mph shouldn't have been able to overcome that speed?
You can fly faster, but RTH flies at 10 metres/sec or 22mph (in still air).

Sorry it has been so long since posting. I didn't hit anything, there isn't anything there to hit. Though it didn't record it, I thought I saw a motor error or something flash shortly after takeoff, but it went away. I went through some old logs and there was a few "speed errors". Suppose I have a motor going out? As for the wind, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of wind, but I am thinking the area might act like a windbreaker with the trees. Granted I didn't start to move the right stick forward until the wind was 20mph (I was trying to orient the drone and ensure I cleared the power lines. Anyway, if the drone has a max speed of 35mph shouldn't have been able to overcome that speed? Funny thing is the drone landed on a house a mile and a half down the way and there was a guy working on the house who checked out the video and posted on FB.
Was the drone OK.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers