LOST DJI PHANTOM 4 after App DISCONNECTED during Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the screenshot on the first page, the aircraft was facing opposite its direction of travel at 30 km/h at the moment of "disconnect". My money is on the operator flying backwards, maybe getting a fade away shot, not seeing the impending doom behind him and very luckily striking something protruding from the buildings rooftop rather than the building itself, which would have resulted in the aircraft ending up on the ground rather than the roof of the building.

57% of the Earth's surface is uninhabitable - the majority of land is yours to fly as free as you'd like... Don't choose the most densely populated place you can possibly find to make your inexperienced flight zone, please.

Reactions: gyrex
Guy's please no name calling in this .
THINK.jpg

I'm sorry, but if you think that applies to every situation and every post, I'd like to smoke some of that as well.

More realistically:

Is the content of the original post or the actions it expresses detrimental to the hobby overall?

Does the poster know that his or her actions are illegal / dangerous?

Is there a lesson to be learned based on actions already taken and consensus of the general group as to best practices?

Is the poster receptive to criticism in a way that will make his or her actions safer in the future?

Have I taken the time to properly access the actual situation / facts of the post in which I'm lecturing before speaking?

Am I virtue signaling?

I like my phantom and enjoy productive discussion. But, coming from fixed wing and mini quads (meaning building things yourself, tuning, hard work to make things fly etc) I can't help but agree with the general consensus around those circles that "ready to fly" aircraft - those requiring no actual skill to get off the ground (phantoms and the like), are the problem, are what is the target of regulation and are what enables those like the op to make ridiculously stupid decisions which will ultimately screw all of the actual modelers / hobbyists out of the hobby / sport that they love.

I'm going to bounce on out of this community - no offense to those that know what they're doing and follow common sense - farewell. To those that aren't so keen on common sense - please, try not to ruin our hobby any more than you already have. Again, this is not for you guys in here that care, have respect and dignity and overall don't lack empathy. Thanks.

I'm sorry, but if you think that applies to every situation and every post, I'd like to smoke some of that as well.

Not sure if you aimed that at me but if you did I did mean what I said and I don't smoke . ;)
Have a good bounce :)

More realistically:

Is the content of the original post or the actions it expresses detrimental to the hobby overall?

Does the poster know that his or her actions are illegal / dangerous?

Is there a lesson to be learned based on actions already taken and consensus of the general group as to best practices?

Is the poster receptive to criticism in a way that will make his or her actions safer in the future?

Have I taken the time to properly access the actual situation / facts of the post in which I'm lecturing before speaking?

Am I virtue signaling?

I like my phantom and enjoy productive discussion. But, coming from fixed wing and mini quads (meaning building things yourself, tuning, hard work to make things fly etc) I can't help but agree with the general consensus around those circles that "ready to fly" aircraft - those requiring no actual skill to get off the ground (phantoms and the like), are the problem, are what is the target of regulation and are what enables those like the op to make ridiculously stupid decisions which will ultimately screw all of the actual modelers / hobbyists out of the hobby / sport that they love.

I'm going to bounce on out of this community - no offense to those that know what they're doing and follow common sense - farewell. To those that aren't so keen on common sense - please, try not to ruin our hobby any more than you already have. Again, this is not for you guys in here that care, have respect and dignity and overall don't lack empathy. Thanks.
Well given this is your last post and you may not have the opportunity to read the responses to your comments, I think your summation of conduct on these types of forum, are essentially the same as @dirkclod. Sure the acronym may differ slightly to your code of conduct (of sorts), but by and large, most of us feel the same. Given the changes to both software and FW WRT to DJI (in this case) and the constant negative feedback form various types of media, there will always be a push back from segments of the 'drone' community that are getting a little agitated by those that are threatening either their hobby or professional pursuits. Sure some of the comments are untoward and that is the task for the moderators to manage, when they are not involved in their normal jobs, but overall I enjoy robust conversation in the interests of dragging out all the 'what ifs' if for no other reason other than to make the community aware of what others have experienced.
As for virtue signalling, the last thing I want are for moral or pious values being flagged in this forum. Live and let live.

Since theres no need to reiterate the obvious EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and IGNORANT nature of this flight, I'll comment with my conspiracy theory.

I think this damage was done by a person, not by impact. The props are still fully in-tact so is the shell. Having never crashed myself yet (knock on wood), I don't have any first-hand experience with crashing these, but I try to learn as much as I can from others experience. Every other crash I've seen, especially at speed (the data clearly shows this quad didn't just fall from the sky), the props are the first to go. Also there is almost always splitting of the shell.

My theory is the drone was BROUGHT out of the sky, maybe by someone on the heliport, or a construction worker (looks like the crash site was a construction zone?). Looks like the gimbal was ripped off, landing gear snapped, the battery taken out and smashed, and the remains left for dead.

I do find it suspiciously convenient that the only video file that's corrupt is the one that potentially recorded the crash. I'd be interested in seeing other videos from the card though!

I'm most probably way off base in my theory but there it is!

Since theres no need to reiterate the obvious EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and IGNORANT nature of this flight, I'll comment with my conspiracy theory.

I think this damage was done by a person, not by impact. The props are still fully in-tact so is the shell. Having never crashed myself yet (knock on wood), I don't have any first-hand experience with crashing these, but I try to learn as much as I can from others experience. Every other crash I've seen, especially at speed (the data clearly shows this quad didn't just fall from the sky), the props are the first to go. Also there is almost always splitting of the shell.

My theory is the drone was BROUGHT out of the sky, maybe by someone on the heliport, or a construction worker (looks like the crash site was a construction zone?). Looks like the gimbal was ripped off, landing gear snapped, the battery taken out and smashed, and the remains left for dead.

I do find it suspiciously convenient that the only video file that's corrupt is the one that potentially recorded the crash. I'd be interested in seeing other videos from the card though!

I'm most probably way off base in my theory but there it is!

I actually agree with this theory... If it landed on the roof, and someone walked up and took out some "curb justice" on the drone... threw the battery and smashed it, ripped the camera off, and tweaked the legs.. I also noticed that the shell was not damaged and the props not even scratched.. I know when I have crashed, the props spinning at those speeds are the first to be damaged..

What is absolutely "UNBELIEVABLE" is that he keeps posting, ignoring ALL posts and comments as to the illegal flying over people, ON a HeliPad, etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He wants help on what happened and is giving false accounts of the incident.... but takes and owns NO responsibility for knowing the laws and flying legally to help promote a hobby we all cherish... I certainly am not giving ANY advice to someone flying in this manner, just to continue to fly illegally and endanger others...

KIRK OUT !!!!!!!

Reactions: gyrex
If the legs are crooked, the camera is ripped off and the battery is missing, then you didn't simply land because of low battery. That, coupled with the fact that it didn't come back after disconnecting means that you flew into something, impacted, fell, and impacted again. You're really, really, really lucky that it was something on the roof and not the side of the building, landing in some poor mother's stroller or somebody's windshield, causing an accident. Stop being an inconsiderate schmuck. And you took off from a helipad? The directional arrow showing your orientation and the arrow showing your direction of travel show that you were probably flying backwards, which is likely why you crashed into something and had no idea. The security should not have given you your quad back - they should have contacted the faa and given it to them. It's apparent that you don't have much of an idea of what you're doing, and you're flying over heavily populated areas (and definitely within a no fly zone). And judging by previous posts, you also have a disconnect between the truth and what you type. I hope the pile of junk you recovered never never lifts itself off the ground again. I hate to say discouraging things to anyone, but there are people who are positive for this hobby and those that will only be a detriment through their actions. Nothing good will come of the type of flying you're doing - it will only end with damage. Luckily this time it was only to your wallet - next time, it might be a person or worse.

Kinda hard on the guy.......

Yeh... nice try pal, that flight log doesn't correlate to the location you initially posted. You're now attempting to mitigate your reckless flying by posting a log from a short flight in what looks to be a relatively low density area. Your original location appeared to be in the middle of LA in a high density urban environment. Please post the proper log for assessment.

Lmao!!!!!

The OP is exactly the type of pilots who make authorities implement harsh rules against drones.
He is lucky building security didn't call the police. They should have and he should have been taken in cuffs to the station.

Omg!!!!!! Geez....

Looking at the flight path in his first screen shots the OP was almost aiming at the building where the secret service has his downtown base - 725 S Figueroa. The rooftop parking of the building to the left - FiGat7th - is the exclusive parking space of the secret service.
Can you imagine what happens if the drone crashes on that lot or into the windows of the SS?
Those guys would go postal... :D

Can't take up him anymore if that is correct[emoji19][emoji19][emoji19]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor