Loss of RC signal after 1700' away

Reaction score
Just got my p3s, for all the accessories I could, then got a range extender. I purchased the blue phantom range extender, after the install I'm only getting 1700' before I get a "weak RC signal" warning.
Antennas are pointed up and/or at the angle doesn't help. Video works fine no choppy feed, only RC signal fades.
What am I doing wrong? From what I have read I should be getting much more the 2-3x the distance.

I'm flying in a rural area at about 200' in altitude over trees tops.
Anyone? In the attached pic the furthest distance is shown on the plot map.
a53cabc02d2639651edf6161b6d8273c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

try flying around 400 feet and see what the difference is

It did not help, actually could not even get as far at a higher altitude. Anyone, anything?
If I don't have the RC wire snapped all the way on the board for the new extender would this happen? Would I get the 1700' if it is not connected? I don't imagine I would with just the board putting out the signal, would I?

Seems like I remember other poor distance threads talking about RC'S coming from DJI with disconnected antenna connectors, resulting in quads that were flyable, but with very limited distances.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

yep if not seated good would give you lousy distance plus if your around any metal car anything like that well that cuts your signal also

If it's not connected, you get a red warning. I have an argtek set up and in mid flight I loosened my main antenna and got red messages after two turns of loosening it. So I assume this would be the same results of not having that wire properly connected to the board inside the controller. .

not if its making contact but not a good one

What did you get for range before the antenna upgrade?

I never flew it to max distance before I upgraded... I wasted no time tweaking and upgrading.. Maybe to a fault... Guess I could put the old back on and see how it works.

So.......... Me always being arms reach from my HUGE *** van isn't good? I was kinda wondering about that. But it provides some much needed shade out here in the desert.

fd295520ff963cf27d2376c217475af7.jpg

The connection looks solid.

It would be good to know your stock distance. But it's weak ether way. I got over 10,000ft stock with a windsurfer over water. Still had video and Rc.

I put the factory antenna back on, I will let u know how it goes.

fd295520ff963cf27d2376c217475af7.jpg

The connection looks solid.

Are you talking about the pic that says "GPS Signal Weak" ???

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Based on time of day, which part of the neighborhood I'm flying in I can about 1700-2200 feet before dropping signal. I get my best distance in early morning it seems

yeah I get about 2400 to 2800 in neighborhood

Stock antenna reinstalled got over 3600' BUT I'm on a job in Puerto Rico and flew it over a valley, see pic.
I will try at home tomorrow for distance.
What is the best range extender for the p3s, I'm going to most likely return this one.... What should I replace it with? The FPVLR seems to have good results, anyone used this set up?

fbeac3f5367e6cff18adfc0bf7ec9425.jpg

I flew to the school in the far left corner... Lost video feed... Being new to this, I pee'ed a little ... And hit reverse!!

Last edited:
DBS mods ITElite. One member got 40k feet...search "this is going to be fun" on here

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl