Losing Wifi after rebinding new camera-Need Assistance

Reaction score
Hello,

Will try to keep this as simple as I can. Purchased used PV2+ including camera and gimbal. However, the mac address on the bottom of the PV2+ was not correct. A new wifi was installed inside the PV2+ so I cracked the case to get the correct Mac from the sticker on the wifi box. This worked fine as I went through the process of entering that wifi mac address in the binding process on the DJI app then resetting the reapeater then then I pick up the signal on my iPhone 6+, it drops then reappers again. At that point I select but it will not allow me to access then the wifi signal just disappears. Bottom line I can't pick up the feed from the camera on my DJI app in camera mode. The Gps signal and function is fine and I can control the props and fly as I bound my old controller to the new PV2+ by turning on, pushing button on bottom, turning on remote the one final push of the button on the PV2+, however, no matter what I try I cannot get the feed from the camera. Any assistance out there would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Brad

Firstly, if you are replacing camera and gimbal, you dont need to rebind. You only need to rebind if you are replacing the wifi range extender or wifi module.

Secondly, wifi dropping in and out is due to the cables from the phantom to the gimbal board. There a 3 sets grey cable, the culprit is the 4pin-clip in. On impact, the inertia pulls the gimbal and camera and causes the the plastic clip to crack and dislodge the pins. Use tweezers and pull the cables out and inspect all them and insert firmly back in if there is no damage.

Firstly, if you are replacing camera and gimbal, you dont need to rebind. You only need to rebind if you are replacing the wifi range extender or wifi module.

Secondly, wifi dropping in and out is due to the cables from the phantom to the gimbal board. There a 3 sets grey cable, the culprit is the 4pin-clip in. On impact, the inertia pulls the gimbal and camera and causes the the plastic clip to crack and dislodge the pins. Use tweezers and pull the cables out and inspect all them and insert firmly back in if there is no damage.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. In my original note I mentioned I purchased the PV2+ rebuilt and it had a wi-fi box with a mac address that is different from the one on the bottom of the PV2+. So I used the mac address on the wi-fi box to enter into the DJI Assistant binding mode. I assume that is the correct number to enter to bind, if not, I would appreciate advise on a different number that needs to be leveraged to bind.

Your comment around the cables makes sense. However, if the plastic clip is cracked and pins are dislodged wouldn't you need replacement parts to fix or is there a work-around? If new parts are needed do you have any advise on how to purchase replacement parts or as I mentioned before is there a work-around that makes sense. I am getting ready to send in for repair Mon a.m so if you were able to get back to me on this today I would be extremely grateful. Thanks once again for taking the time to respond. If you felt it would be easier to have a brief call all my contact information is on my site below.

Regards,
Brad
Skyriderphoto.com

The most certain way to see that you have the correct MAC address is to run a wifi analyzer program on a computer or mobile device. You should see two devices that have a MAC address starting with 60:60:1F. The one without the SSID name is the camera, and the one with the SSID name is the repeater. The camera MAC is the one you enter when binding. The repeater does always drop the connection whenever rebinding. It comes back after a while.

Hello,

The Gps signal and function is fine and I can control the props and fly as I bound my old controller to the new PV2+ by turning on, pushing button on bottom, turning on remote the one final push of the button on the PV2+, however, no matter what I try I cannot get the feed from the camera. Any assistance out there would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Brad

You mentioned that you can see GPS signal. Can you see the other telemetry - battery%, range extender%, SD card, distance, altitude?
If you can, this means the wifi modules are bounded and working. If you cant, use the android wifi analyser app to find the MAC address of the phantom. Then use the below method where you key the mac to bind.
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2_Vision-Preparing_the_Range_Extender

Other trouble shooting notes...
Can you please make sure that you have ONLY ONE device connected to the phantom. If you have 2, the DJI app will try and connect to both and it will lose video feed and the wifi will drop in and out.
Can you also make sure the device you are using does NOT allow wifi switching. This means that your smart phone maybe connecting to other surrounding wifi access points if it finds one better than your phantom. If you want to be assured, delete all other wifi profiles or find an open field and make sure only your device is connected to the phantom.
Can you also drop FPV (not the recording) in the DJI app setting to 480x240@15fps.

If that all fails, then the only 2 things I can think of is replacing the cable set. You just need the widest cable set from the package below.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edf6c1c63
I repaired another phantom with crack 4pin connector by using a glue gun. Just realign the pins and place a dab on the cable to stop it from moving. Then plug it in firmly.
If you know how to solder, purchase the pack below.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee04df105
Make note of the cables mark before cutting. Give the cable some extra length to give it some slack on the next bump landing.

The other is that you may have a faulty wifi module.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
The most certain way to see that you have the correct MAC address is to run a wifi analyzer program on a computer or mobile device. You should see two devices that have a MAC address starting with 60:60:1F. The one without the SSID name is the camera, and the one with the SSID name is the repeater. The camera MAC is the one you enter when binding. The repeater does always drop the connection whenever rebinding. It comes back after a while.

Thanks, I did check that and I have the right mac address. When I was able to bind I observed exactly what you describe in your last sentence where the repeater dropped the Phantom then came back and it would not allow me to connect when viewing in my wi-fi settings on my Iphone6+. So it would appear to be an internal issue with the wi-fi. Thank you very much for time and responding to my issue!

Regards,
Brad

You mentioned that you can see GPS signal. Can you see the other telemetry - battery%, range extender%, SD card, distance, altitude?
If you can, this means the wifi modules are bounded and working. If you cant, use the android wifi analyser app to find the MAC address of the phantom. Then use the below method where you key the mac to bind.
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2_Vision-Preparing_the_Range_Extender

Other trouble shooting notes...
Can you please make sure that you have ONLY ONE device connected to the phantom. If you have 2, the DJI app will try and connect to both and it will lose video feed and the wifi will drop in and out.
Can you also make sure the device you are using does NOT allow wifi switching. This means that your smart phone maybe connecting to other surrounding wifi access points if it finds one better than your phantom. If you want to be assured, delete all other wifi profiles or find an open field and make sure only your device is connected to the phantom.
Can you also drop FPV (not the recording) in the DJI app setting to 480x240@15fps.

If that all fails, then the only 2 things I can think of is replacing the cable set. You just need the widest cable set from the package below.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edf6c1c63
I repaired another phantom with crack 4pin connector by using a glue gun. Just realign the pins and place a dab on the cable to stop it from moving. Then plug it in firmly.
If you know how to solder, purchase the pack below.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee04df105
Make note of the cables mark before cutting. Give the cable some extra length to give it some slack on the next bump landing.

The other is that you may have a faulty wifi module.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. When I mentioned I could see the GPS signal I meant I could get the status lights on the PV2+ to get to get a rapid green flash then the normal pace you see when you have 7 or more satellites connected. I was able to take off and fly in front of me at 10 feet then grab land it as normal. I was never able to see any other of the telemetry on the DJI camera app. I was able to hold the connection of the Phantom with a check mark on settings/wifi on my iPhone. As mentioned prior I can spin up the props and get a sold gps connection by viewing status lights blinking green. When I go the the camera option in the DJI App it's a black screen with a "can't connect" message. I am performing all of this in my office at home in the same location as I have done with 3 different phantoms and never had any issues. Just to be sure I walked outside down to the golf course where is no signal and still am having the same issue of still not able to pick up the camera or any telemetry.

I am going to give your ideas subsequent to "if that all fails" a try this week and see if I can make my first fix. I just opened up a phantom a few days ago to validate the mac address on the wifi but have never done any repairs. The process you describe seems fairly straight forward and I will give it a shot. Can't thank you enough for all of your assistance, I really appreciate you taking time to assist me with my issues. If you happen to think of anything else let me know.

Regards,
Brad
Skyriderphoto.com

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. When I mentioned I could see the GPS signal I meant I could get the status lights on the PV2+ to get to get a rapid green flash then the normal pace you see when you have 7 or more satellites connected. I was able to take off and fly in front of me at 10 feet then grab land it as normal. I was never able to see any other of the telemetry on the DJI camera app. I was able to hold the connection of the Phantom with a check mark on settings/wifi on my iPhone. As mentioned prior I can spin up the props and get a sold gps connection by viewing status lights blinking green. When I go the the camera option in the DJI App it's a black screen with a "can't connect" message. I am performing all of this in my office at home in the same location as I have done with 3 different phantoms and never had any issues. Just to be sure I walked outside down to the golf course where is no signal and still am having the same issue of still not able to pick up the camera or any telemetry.

I am going to give your ideas subsequent to "if that all fails" a try this week and see if I can make my first fix. I just opened up a phantom a few days ago to validate the mac address on the wifi but have never done any repairs. The process you describe seems fairly straight forward and I will give it a shot. Can't thank you enough for all of your assistance, I really appreciate you taking time to assist me with my issues. If you happen to think of anything else let me know.

Regards,
Brad
Skyriderphoto.com
Brad can you tell me what fixed your wifi dropp off

Video feed trouble shooting
Please try the following steps:
• Ensure you have upgraded all DJI products to their latest firmware. Check updated, plus the camera firmware
• Ensure you are connected to the wifi phantom-xxxx SID
. Check bluetooth be sure it is off
• Ensure your phone has been updated to the latest software.
• Ensure you have closed all other multi-tasking applications.
• Check the free space on your mobile device, it is recommend having at least 3GB available, less storage could be causing an issue.
• Try deleting the app from your phone and downloading it again.
Try reformatting the SD card with full format.
• Reduce the preview framerate from 30 fps to 15 fps in the Settings of the DJI Vision app.
Check your wifi battery level.
Check the three leads going to the gimbal to be sure they are tight. Check each one closely for any pins that may have pulled up and loose.
If the above don't get it then the only remaining check is the video feed plug on the wifi transmitter under the shell.
If that's ok then it's most likely a damaged or burnt out wifi transmitter if you still see the SID.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1446210748.581725.jpg

Al
Video feed trouble shooting
Please try the following steps:
• Ensure you have upgraded all DJI products to their latest firmware. Check updated, plus the camera firmware
• Ensure you are connected to the wifi phantom-xxxx SID
. Check bluetooth be sure it is off
• Ensure your phone has been updated to the latest software.
• Ensure you have closed all other multi-tasking applications.
• Check the free space on your mobile device, it is recommend having at least 3GB available, less storage could be causing an issue.
• Try deleting the app from your phone and downloading it again.
Try reformatting the SD card with full format.
• Reduce the preview framerate from 30 fps to 15 fps in the Settings of the DJI Vision app.
Check your wifi battery level.
Check the three leads going to the gimbal to be sure they are tight. Check each one closely for any pins that may have pulled up and loose.
If the above don't get it then the only remaining check is the video feed plug on the wifi transmitter under the shell.
If that's ok then it's most likely a damaged or burnt out wifi transmitter if you still see the SID.View attachment 34542
so thanks for writing back!!

DID YOU HAVE A CMOS ERROR..ON THE GIMBAL..YOU KNOW GIMBAL LED BLINKING RED NO GIMBAL CONTROL????

What is the sid?
If you open your wifi settings and it shows you a listing of the various Signal ID's that are present they are the different wifi signals seen. Each one is a SSID and the one for the Phantom is by that name plus additional numbers. So that would be your Phantoms SID.
In computer largo it is actually called a Service Set Identifier which is actually a case sensitive 32 alphanumeric character unique identifier attaché the to the packets sent over a wireless network that acts as the identifier and encryption allowing a password. In the key field or pass phrase field.
If you have a laptop or tablet and you have connected to your wireless connection (SSID ) an put in a password you have been using it. The Phantom is the same but it doesn't require the encrypted password to connect. There you have it SSID. Or as some say SID or wifi network name.

Last edited:
If you open your wifi settings and it shows you a listing of the various Signal ID's that are present they are the different wifi signals seen. Each one is a SSID and the one for the Phantom is by that name plus additional numbers. So that would be your Phantoms SID.
In computer largo it is actually called a Service Set Identifier which is actually a case sensitive 32 alphanumeric character unique identifier attaché the to the packets sent over a wireless network that acts as the identifier and encryption allowing a password. In the key field or pass phrase field.
If you have a laptop or tablet and you have connected to your wireless connection (SSID ) an put in a password you have been using it. The Phantom is the same but it doesn't require the encrypted password to connect. There you have it SSID. Or as some say SID or wifi network name.
Ok got it dah...sorry..well i talked to dji and they gave me a RMA number..i mailed it off today..thank got that bird was a piece of crapp...thay can keep it..DO YOU THINK THEY WILL REPLACE IT OR SEND A NEW OR REFURB?ONCE AGAIN. YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN SOOOOOO HELPFULL WITH MY PROBLEMS..IM TELLING YOU NOW I THINK IT ALL HAS TO DO WITH SOFTWARE AND CRAPPY CAMERA..WAY OVERPRICED!!

Ok got it dah...sorry..well i talked to dji and they gave me a RMA number..i mailed it off today..thank got that bird was a piece of crapp...thay can keep it..DO YOU THINK THEY WILL REPLACE IT OR SEND A NEW OR REFURB?ONCE AGAIN. YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN SOOOOOO HELPFULL WITH MY PROBLEMS..IM TELLING YOU NOW I THINK IT ALL HAS TO DO WITH SOFTWARE AND CRAPPY CAMERA..WAY OVERPRICED!!

We are glad to be able to provide information so people can know and learn. DJI has the option to repair or replace your quad.
Sorry I do t agree with your comment of software and crappy camera. I have two Phantoms and they both are over a year old and doing just fine. The camera is high definition and does a fantastic job far which it's intended. The over pricing well that controversial as there is a lot of cost in the components in the bird. main board, GPS, wifi transmitter receiver, IMU, Naza module, flight controllers, ESC's motors and on and on including the gimbal and camera. I agree the camera is not as robust but a little delicate. It can't take racing and hard crashes. The bird was developed for videography and was intended to be handled with care. As I read the posts, there are thousands of pilots that have learned to fly and handle their birds with care, however there are those instances where our debt perception may be off some and we do clip a branch or other object and crash. But we understand it was us and not the so called CRAPPY CAMERA. For the price the components and its functionality with GS, ORbit, follow me and FPV to your phone or tablet is a bargain. Try building one as complicated and functional as these and you will see. She's like a nice lady, treat her nice and be good to her and she in turn will be nice to you. It's a partnership and it's fun.... Don't be so critical just enjoy!

No i dont agree..i did not crash it i did a software update and thats were it started..also the ribbon tore due to a very lite tipover..now its a wonder that the people who built it thought hmmmmm lets see the camera is build ok just cant take. A landing..i had a vision and that camera was tough..now with somthing that goes up in the air and is going to land..WELL IT NEEDS. TO BE. RE DESIGNED

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31