losing remote signal flyaway! Help!

Reaction score
So, Im over flying this thing...

After getting it all fixed up, the camera works, wifi working, gimbal working, its now taking off on its own and saying it lost connection with the controller. why?

I took it out yesterday, and once I was in the air it said it lost GPS signal, then lost remote signal. The a hole then says its coming home. Im like great, I hope it comes back here and not the park where I was last.

Anyways, the a hole takes off 1400 feet straight up and just sits there. I have no control over it, and the wifi is randomly picking up location info, no video.
The a hole hovers over my building till the low batterie alarm starts screaming from my phone. obviously I just died a little at this moment, leaving just enough for my gf to kill when she gets home.

Suddenly the a hole starts dropping elevation at a good speed, there is hope! I see it coming in, at this point Im too disorientated to remember how to gain control of it again. It hits what I'm assuming is one of the roof tops of either my place or a building next to it.

Finally I get up to my roof top and the a hole is sitting there like nothing happened. Its all on video too. from take off to landing. It stayed in the same spot the whole time and came back down and landed itself perfectly.

After that I did some researched on getting further range and I learned to switch over to FCC mode. Done.
Take it out, its fine for 100 feet. Its night time at this point and i wasn't about to test it.

So today comes. This time I take off from my roof top, maybe it would give me better connection to the drone, I guess?
Went through all the safety steps, recall everyone and their mothers. I took off, slightly windy, all good.

Take it 150 feet up and go about another 100 out. All good. I clime to 175... still alright. I move up maybe 20 feet... lose controller still have video. And now the a hole shoots up....

I remembered how to re gain control so I am trying that a million times with no luck. Finally its up at 1500 feet. Went through the whole show again till it started to die and ran home. I regained control of it when it was closer t try and race it home, but I probably didn't help. Ended up falling 10 feet from landing on my roof. went through a bushy tree and landed. When I went into the yard to look for it, there was the a hole, landed perfectly.

Anyways, Ive gotten lucky and I am over this thing. Its not fun like this honestly. Do you guys have any ideas what could be going wrong? Already checked the antennas on the remote and bird. and switched to FCC, and increased distance on the software, and in nazda mode.

Any Ideas?

(Posted this in another section by mistake and can't delete it)

Key question have you calibrated the compass. Calibrated the IMU on a perfectly level flat surface. And before take off did you verify satellite lock and home position. The manual is a wonderful thing especially when it comes to pre flight checks.

Was your antenna pointed in the proper direction? The antenna gain is off the side of the antenna. If your antenna was oriented up, you lost signal because the antenna gain is horizontal. When flying overhead you must position the controller/antenna so that the side of the antenna is pointed towards the Phantom.

Yes and yes. It was calibrated in every way I could find to calibrate the thing. Compass was calibrated before I took off, had like 7 satellite, had home lock because it obviously came back home. It said that on the first post...

I adjusted the antenna a million times, but the side was always pointing at it.

Have you checked the two gray antennas on the legs of phantom to make sure they both still have that tiny piece of wire that sticks off the end is not broken off?? and also not bent to the side??? and no damage to the wires going to the antenna. and if they check out ok you may want to open up the controller and make sure the wire to the antenna in that is ok esp at the bottom of the antenna were the wire goes threw the elbow joint.

and one other thing how fresh are the battery's in your remote?

Brand new pack of batteries in the remote.

The two wires are there. One is straight, but the other is curved out. Not kinked. If you get what I mean, I guess I could post a picture. Do you think that would be enough to cause an issue? Does it need to be perfectly straight down?

Already took remote apart and the antenna is fine.

This is the one bent slightly. Front left leg.

Could this really be the cause of such huge distance loss?

Let me know what you think

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 395
Update:

As far as it taking off to 1600 feet when coming home, I fixed that part.
In the Phantom Software for some in the "Go-Home Alt" was set to 1667 feet. Strange.

Anyways, I set it to 200 feet. So it shouldn't do that again. But why is it losing signal in the first place?

Any Ideas?

Could this be a recover or transmitter problem? hardware?
If so, I wanted to upgrade the antennas, would that help?

This is the one bent slightly. Front left leg.

Could this really be the cause of such huge distance loss?

Let me know what you think

yes that can cause a big lose being its the same as having that antenna not working at all. But being its your front one. If the rear of the craft is facing you the rear antenna should of still been getting signal.

Try straightening it out and also a pcs of scotch tape over that part of the leg can help it stay inside the leg and avoid being bent again.

Having two working antennas working right again should help to give you at least some more range back.

talking about buildings, are you in an area saturated with wifi signs? have you tried going to a remote area and flying once to see if it works well there vs at home?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31