Losing FPV @ 600-700 feet

Tricky to do sometimes but getting maximum signal strength is important for control. DUH!
Check: http://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/radPattern.html

Imagine the Tx antenna through the center of the "donut".
Maximum signal strength is at right angles to the line of the antenna, and MINIMUM signal strength is in line with the antenna.
So...ideally the line of the Tx antenna should be parallel to the V2+ landing strut antenna.
If you're flying horizontally away from you, no problem.
If you're getting some altitude, like right above you, big problem, maybe...
So orienting the Tx antenna horizontally (parallel to the ground) if the bird is high above ensures maximum signal strength is radiated vertically thereby giving you the best chance of control. I also think extending the bird's antenna into the horizontal part of the landing strut would benefit one considerably for this reason.
In short you should adjust the Tx antenna depending on where the bird happens to be.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, anyone.

As for FlynFrank's comment re I suppose "progressive learning" of the V2+, I'd like more input on that !!
I'm about to try the Solomon FPV Booster and will advise results, but I would imagine it would negate DJI's "progressive learning" aspect if it exists.

Out in the country with no other wifi showing up on my phone I can go out to 1400' easy....near town where there is other wifi signals I can go maybe 700' and then FPV lost......its all these idiots in town and broadcasting mass wifi junk.....

ShoreBird said:
Out in the country with no other wifi showing up on my phone I can go out to 1400' easy....near town where there is other wifi signals I can go maybe 700' and then FPV lost......its all these idiots in town and broadcasting mass wifi junk.....

I haven't really tried out in the country with no wifi signals.. but I've tried in a city-like atmosphere, and I got maybe 700, then it went out. I did, however, have the highest frame rate and pixels selected. I set it to the lowest, and I'm going to see if I can go farther. I tested in a residential with some trees blocking my LOS, and I got about 650ish. After that, I lost signal, and had to walk down to the road to regain visual.

jaywoodz said:
I had previously asked about the wifi booster app that people are paying $9 for. Does that even work?

Yes, it makes a HUGE difference.

Before I bought the WiFi booster app in the Google Play store, I was only getting around 800 feet max FPV like you -- even with upgraded half-dome and pinwheel FPV antennas from good ole Tony at FPVLR.com.

After I got the app, I am now going out to 3,000 feet (in a rural area free of other WiFi interference). I also bought a 2.4 GHz booster amp from FPVLR and now I can get out to 1.5 miles before I lose FPV. I still keep my Vision app preview at 15 fps to keep the video reliable. :mrgreen:

So yes, stop waffling and buy the app. It's the best $8.77 you will ever spend in your lifetime. :)

The 2.4 GHz amp is only $57.00 from Tony and it's also money well-spent. :p

MadMitch88 said:
jaywoodz said:
I had previously asked about the wifi booster app that people are paying $9 for. Does that even work?

Yes, it makes a HUGE difference.

Before I bought the WiFi booster app in the Google Play store, I was only getting around 800 feet max FPV like you -- even with upgraded half-dome and pinwheel FPV antennas from good ole Tony at FPVLR.com.

After I got the app, I am now going out to 3,000 feet (in a rural area free of other WiFi interference). I also bought a 2.4 GHz booster amp from FPVLR and now I can get out to 1.5 miles before I lose FPV. I still keep my Vision app preview at 15 fps to keep the video reliable. :mrgreen:

So yes, stop waffling and buy the app. It's the best $8.77 you will ever spend in your lifetime. :)

The 2.4 GHz amp is only $57.00 from Tony and it's also money well-spent. :p

Alright, I have an iPhone, so I got it from iTunes. I assume you have android? I hope it works. I just bought it. I'll try it tonight with 15 fps and see how it goes. But does the pixels matter? as in to keep FPV signal stronger?

So your signal loss indicates "phantom" when it happens?

jaywoodz said:
Alright, I have an iPhone, so I got it from iTunes. I assume you have android? I hope it works. I just bought it. I'll try it tonight with 15 fps and see how it goes. But does the pixels matter? as in to keep FPV signal stronger?

Yeah, it seems to be much better video in the Vision app when I use 640x480 @ 15 fps instead of 30 fps.

You're not using as much bandwidth at 15fps so the WiFi radio onboard the Phantom can focus on range.

jaywoodz said:

The app to buy which is the best bang for the buck for the Vision + is the "Vision + Pro Utility" app. It has numerous features to use, and not just a one button and done app. I use the power feature where you can select the amount of power. Increase Range Extender Transmit Power and to the Camera Transmit Power separately. I also use the Flight Logger on each of my flights(even while logging with flytrex logger). There are many things the logger logs as well. All very easy to use software.

320x240 15fps
The above setting is what I have always used and it will allow the rest of your to have max performance on tap. However, in the V+PU app I mentioned, the higher setting you go on the camera the clearer the display will be. I fly with Range Extender Transmit Power 14dBm - Camera Transmit Power 17dBm settings. If I attempt a record flight of some kind I use 15dBm & 18dBm. I never go above those numbers. This app is worth every penny.

*This app is only for Android.

flyNfrank said:
The app to buy which is the best bang for the buck for the Vision + is the "Vision + Pro Utility" app. It has numerous features to use, and not just a one button and done app.

I honestly prefer the one button and done part and own both apps. The one button app performs for me as well as the Utility app which makes me think they have figured out ideal boost and you don't need all the options. The interface of the utility app is poorly laid out in my opinion but you are CORRECT it has more features and just the fact it does logging makes it nice for a lot of people.

If, they would clean up the utility app with something as simple as a one button start with user settings it would be the ideal app !

rrmccabe said:
flyNfrank said:
The app to buy which is the best bang for the buck for the Vision + is the "Vision + Pro Utility" app. It has numerous features to use, and not just a one button and done app.

I honestly prefer the one button and done part and own both apps. The one button app performs for me as well as the Utility app which makes me think they have figured out ideal boost and you don't need all the options. The interface of the utility app is poorly laid out in my opinion but you are CORRECT it has more features and just the fact it does logging makes it nice for a lot of people.

If, they would clean up the utility app with something as simple as a one button start with user settings it would be the ideal app !

Don't forget it also has a security feature as well. Encrypt the password. I never use that so I forget to mention it. The app is not polished by any means. I have use it so long I never notice it as being difficult to use. You should consistently complain about it and I'm sure it will get worked out. But then I'm thinking of a new V+ coming soon that may require a new app altogether, so I doubt much attention would be spent on this app. The main thing is, it works. It works every time. Btw, they have simplified the app a lot over the last 6 weeks.

jaywoodz said:
burlbark said:
This can also be caused by a failing wifi unit from temperature extremes. Get in there and do the heat sink mods. My own quad would give me 1000-1500ft and then get warm and give me 400ft. Not anymore... full range all the time.

What heat sink mods are you talking about? It was about 70 degrees or so each time I've had that issue.. each time being every time that I've flown mine. I've done about 7-8 flights so far. Just got it 2 weeks ago.

The wifi module inside the Vision 2+ will overheat and die if the quality control during assembly did not use adequate thermal paste. They didn't even apply heat sink compound to the final MOSFET signal amplifiers. You need to refer the thread on failing wifi units.

I agree Frank. It really isn't hard to use and it definitely has more features. But it could be so much easier to use with a little extra work. I guess its more annoying that I have to go in and set the same settings over and over :)

As far as security where I fly it really doesn't have any value so I always forget about it.

Expect for the boost you can bet that some of these features are about a heartbeat away with DJI out of the box. There is no reason they cant be logging this data right to the micro SD !

flyNfrank said:
jaywoodz said:

The app to buy which is the best bang for the buck for the Vision + is the "Vision + Pro Utility" app. It has numerous features to use, and not just a one button and done app. I use the power feature where you can select the amount of power. Increase Range Extender Transmit Power and to the Camera Transmit Power separately. I also use the Flight Logger on each of my flights(even while logging with flytrex logger). There are many things the logger logs as well. All very easy to use software.

320x240 15fps
The above setting is what I have always used and it will allow the rest of your to have max performance on tap. However, in the V+PU app I mentioned, the higher setting you go on the camera the clearer the display will be. I fly with Range Extender Transmit Power 14dBm - Camera Transmit Power 17dBm settings. If I attempt a record flight of some kind I use 15dBm & 18dBm. I never go above those numbers. This app is worth every penny.

*This app is only for Android.

Only for Android? I found it for the iPhone.. I think? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vision+ ... 18291?mt=8

Let me know if that's it.

burlbark said:
jaywoodz said:
burlbark said:
This can also be caused by a failing wifi unit from temperature extremes. Get in there and do the heat sink mods. My own quad would give me 1000-1500ft and then get warm and give me 400ft. Not anymore... full range all the time.

What heat sink mods are you talking about? It was about 70 degrees or so each time I've had that issue.. each time being every time that I've flown mine. I've done about 7-8 flights so far. Just got it 2 weeks ago.

The wifi module inside the Vision 2+ will overheat and die if the quality control during assembly did not use adequate thermal paste. They didn't even apply heat sink compound to the final MOSFET signal amplifiers. You need to refer the thread on failing wifi units.

I have no idea if my unit has that or not.. What do you mean the 'final MOSFET signal amplifiers' ?

I'm generally impressed with the v2+ build quality, and so would expect proper heatsinking to have been implemented.
Looks like the Solomon app just cranks up to max power whereas others offer user specified power, but who in reality would go for anything below max when max range is the objective?
What is the max power anyway ? 20mW?

morph000 said:
I'm generally impressed with the v2+ build quality, and so would expect proper heatsinking to have been implemented.
Looks like the Solomon app just cranks up to max power whereas others offer user specified power, but who in reality would go for anything below max when max range is the objective?
What is the max power anyway ? 20mW?

Actually max power is not always ideal. There is information in his thread about it. I know I have tried Max and its counter productive on my particular unit.

The Solomon app doesn't offer any choice so I assume it's maxing out.
Anyway, have still to try it and see the difference if any.
If no-go, then will try the other app.
On the subject of wifi failures, maybe a miniature 12v cooling fan on top of the unit ?
consumes SFA juice and weigh around 20g so could be a good solution.

morph000 said:

Actually, I think its somewhere int he middle. Like 17db if I remember correctly. His thread talks about why they chose that. Been a while since I read it so cant remember.

morph000 said:

Ok. I would expect 25-50% of the wifi units to fail with any extended use. Heat cycles. There are multiple threads on this already.

morph000 said:
Anyway, have still to try it and see the difference if any.
If no-go, then will try the other app.
On the subject of wifi failures, maybe a miniature 12v cooling fan on top of the unit ?
consumes SFA juice and weigh around 20g so could be a good solution.

If the surface mount components are not touching the metal case or there is not thermal compound in place it wont make much difference if you mounted a leaf blower at the wifi module. Its not going to cool anything without thermal bridging. Look at the picture the black component should be covered in thermal paste making contact with the case. This unit would get hot and lose range and finally failed. I havent opened one up yet that had adequate surface area covered. This particular one had that component warp and lift off the board.

Attachments

• Heatsinknone.jpg
    Heatsinknone.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 360

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj