Losing control of P3S in high winds

Excuse me, but was that a AIRPORT right behind you! Yes that long strip of grass with several airplanes parked along it. Somebody look at this video and tell me, am I going crazy, or was this on the approach end of a grass strip. I’m looking up the local FAA number now but before I call would somebody give me a second opinion THX.
This is a glider port. This area is also used by RC hobbyist, para gliders and others. It is also not under the prohibited areas in Japan according to the No Fly Zone Map. But thank you for your concern..

Last edited:
Yes thank you I realize that, but this forum I think is to promote safety and the actions of this individual do anything but that. I believe it is the JCAB thank you.
Thank you for your concern. I didn’t realize that when you find Somebody on this forum Flying on something that looks like an airstrip, you are gonna call the authorities.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Excuse me, but was that a AIRPORT right behind you! Yes that long strip of grass with several airplanes parked along it. Somebody look at this video and tell me, am I going crazy, or was this on the approach end of a grass strip. I’m looking up the local FAA number now but before I call would somebody give me a second opinion THX.

Curious, if this person had been in the United States, your post made it sound as if you were going to call the FAA because you saw what you believed to be a small airstrip? Did I read that right?

Just curious because too many believe it is illegal to fly near any airport, but that is not the case. You can call and inform them you are flying, where, when, altitudes, etc and if they ok it, YOU CAN LEGALLY FLY there.

Do not spot a grass airstrip and get up in arms calling FAA (if that was your intent in your message) to “report” someone. They may have had permission to fly, and the FAA may not know because they were not called, only the tower was.

SMH

Curious, if this person had been in the United States, your post made it sound as if you were going to call the FAA because you saw what you believed to be a small airstrip? Did I read that right?

Just curious because too many believe it is illegal to fly near any airport, but that is not the case. You can call and inform them you are flying, where, when, altitudes, etc and if they ok it, YOU CAN LEGALLY FLY there.

Do not spot a grass airstrip and get up in arms calling FAA (if that was your intent in your message) to “report” someone. They may have had permission to fly, and the FAA may not know because they were not called, only the tower was.

SMH

Legality and safety are different subjects,yes you can do it legally but safety is a different subject. Aircraft at these fields use a “Unicom” frequency to state their positions and intentions. Many times these frequencies are not manned at the airport. I have been to hundreds of these airports and managed 2 of them in the past, there is no chance someone in charge of this or any other “field”would give someone permission to fly a drone of the end of a runway. Yes this is a glider field, I realize that but gliders are pulled to altitude by powered aircraft that normally use a Unicom frequency to advise others of their intentions. Towing a glider leaves you in a position of very little maneuverability, not the place to come in contact with a drone. So, I still feel this is a very poor place to operate a drone,yes it may be legal But.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Legality and safety are different subjects,yes you can do it legally but safety is a different subject. Aircraft at these fields use a “Unicom” frequency to state their positions and intentions. Many times these frequencies are not manned at the airport. I have been to hundreds of these airports and managed 2 of them in the past, there is no chance someone in charge of this or any other “field”would give someone permission to fly a drone of the end of a runway. Yes this is a glider field, I realize that but gliders are pulled to altitude by powered aircraft that normally use a Unicom frequency to advise others of their intentions. Towing a glider leaves you in a position of very little maneuverability, not the place to come in contact with a drone. So, I still feel this is a very poor place to operate a drone,yes it may be legal But.

Wow! You have been to hundreds of these airports? Good for you. You must be a real expert on these things. I am no expert, I apologize. However, this glider port is near my house. A few steps away. I have been living here for ten years. I know how it works, I know the schedules and we don't use tow planes here. I am sure that with your expertise that more than ten years ago, they have started using these machines that slingshot gliders up in the air for obvious practical and logistical reasons. I have not flown a drone in this area during a drill. I know the schedules. They only use this twice a week at the most during certain periods. Most of the time, it is not in use.

Having said so, please don't assume that people are stupid just because they are new flyers. Your knowledge about these things might be useful in helping other droners to be guided. People like me join these kinds of forums to be part of a community to share knowledge and experience and learn from others. Drones have been demonize into something like a lurking monster by people who are living in so much fear about every bit of technology that comes out. In most instances, the dangers are overstated that there are no more place for discussion of the potential good that it could bring.

There are ways that you can help this community with your claimed knowledge. But threatening to call the FAA to report a member is uncalled for, mean and irrational.

Many of us (including myself) operate in close vicinity to an airstrip quite often. It CAN be done legally and it CAN be done safely.

One flaw is in your statement (in reference to flying in the US of A) that states:
"there is no chance someone in charge of this or any other “field”would give someone permission to fly a drone of the end of a runway"
If you are flying as a hobbyist you are required to NOTIFY the tower/facility prior to your flying session. Take note, you are NOT asking for permission but merely NOTIFYING them. They can tell you to NOT fly if it poses a threat to NAS Safety but even then it's up to you to make the decision to fly or not (and if you DO you are taking your wallet into your own hands as other ordinances are probably going to bring you under great scrutiny by local authorities). You are NOT asking for, nor will they grant permission to fly.

If you are flying under Part 107 you have to request authorization to fly depending on the type of AirSpace you're flying in regardless of distance from the airport.

Now to flip sides of this argument...
But threatening to call the FAA to report a member is uncalled for, mean and irrational.

I fully disagree!
It is the responsibility of ALL of us to fly safely and the FAA has also stated it is up to us to "Self Police". If you see something that is a safety violation then you DO report it and the FAA will investigate it. We self policed for decades and it worked well for the R/C Aviation community. You don't need to "announce" your intentions but go ahead and report it to the local FSDO so they can investigate it.

Reporting a Safety Violation is not uncalled for, mean, or irrational. We are "playing" in the most congested/busiest AirSpace on the planet and we need to step up our game and be adults about it. Simply report it to the authority and let them handle it. If no incident occurred odds are they will (worse case) create a report and use it to educate the UAS operator.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Wow! You have been to hundreds of these airports? Good for you. You must be a real expert on these things. I am no expert, I apologize. However, this glider port is near my house. A few steps away. I have been living here for ten years. I know how it works, I know the schedules and we don't use tow planes here. I am sure that with your expertise that more than ten years ago, they have started using these machines that slingshot gliders up in the air for obvious practical and logistical reasons. I have not flown a drone in this area during a drill. I know the schedules. They only use this twice a week at the most during certain periods. Most of the time, it is not in use.

Having said so, please don't assume that people are stupid just because they are new flyers. Your knowledge about these things might be useful in helping other droners to be guided. People like me join these kinds of forums to be part of a community to share knowledge and experience and learn from others. Drones have been demonize into something like a lurking monster by people who are living in so much fear about every bit of technology that comes out. In most instances, the dangers are overstated that there are no more place for discussion of the potential good that it could bring.

There are ways that you can help this community with your claimed knowledge. But threatening to call the FAA to report a member is uncalled for, mean and irrational.

Are you saying it’s OK for a drone to collide with a glider?

The bottom line to this is the first time a drone bounces off the nose of a 737 landing in Podunk Iowa the FAA will react. Sometime these reactions are of the “knee jerk” reaction variety. Don’t say they can’t, they can and will. They can mandate “ground all drones” and it’s done. They could require you to be licensed maybe for each drone.And it’s law. And as a final (ha) statement on this flying a drone on the approach/ departure end of a airport/ grass strip is dangerous.These are called “uncontrolled airports” and there is a reason for this. Planes fly in a see and be seen environment at these airports. Remember legal is not necessarily safe.

If this is an International community then you have to recognize everyone and their particular laws and realize they are different than ours. I really enjoyed the height distance record video in Spain that was on YouTube. I think we are intelligent enough to know this is not legal here and not to jump to conclusions and try to report someone when you don't know the facts. Lets try to show more respect to our international friends and support safety and laws in our own country.

If this is an International community then you have to recognize everyone and their particular laws and realize they are different than ours. I really enjoyed the height distance record video in Spain that was on YouTube. I think we are intelligent enough to know this is not legal here and not to jump to conclusions and try to report someone when you don't know the facts. Lets try to show more respect to our international friends and support safety and laws in our own country.

I’ll say this one more time,I don’t care if it’s legal or not flying a drone at the departure or approach end of a runway is dangerous. Glider, propeller, or jet airport is irrelevant activity like this will be responded with regulations that will ruin this activity. My thoughts obviously will not change the opinion of many on this forum. But look at the restrictions we now have and wait until a drone slams into the engine of a departure or arrival at some airport. Please remember when government enacts a regulation you will never get rid of it. Fly SAFE not necessarily just legal.

I’ll say this one more time,I don’t care if it’s legal or not flying a drone at the departure or approach end of a runway is dangerous. Glider, propeller, or jet airport is irrelevant activity like this will be responded with regulations that will ruin this activity. My thoughts obviously will not change the opinion of many on this forum. But look at the restrictions we now have and wait until a drone slams into the engine of a departure or arrival at some airport. Please remember when government enacts a regulation you will never get rid of it. Fly SAFE not necessarily just legal.
The FAA won’t say anything since he is in Japan.

You know the old saying , “ when in Rome do as the Romans do.” There is a good reason for that saying. So many Americans go there and say, “ we don’t do it that way in the USA.” They get really pissed at the Americans and tell them,” well go back to the USA then.” People in the USA like to tell the rest of the world how to do it. It makes you sound better than they are by telling them you know the better way to do things. Get off your high horse and and worry about your own backyard. Leave the Japanese to their own doing. Except there are other cultures and ways people do things.

Before “reporting” shouldn’t the FACTS be known? To make a report to someone without knowing facts also seems irresponsible.

You will be utilizing government resources to investigate something, that had simple questions been asked before filing a report, you may have found there was no issue.

I agree there are many who hold the controls of a quad copter who are irresponsible and should not be allowed to handle the controls of a bicycle, let alone fly in the skies.

But to watch videos here and immediately reach for a phone because you think you see them doing something illegal is also irresponsible.

The OP stated he knew their schedule. What if someone owns a private airfield in the country and you see their planes?

I fly responsibly. I just don’t want someone to think they see something in a video I post and send investigators to my door when all they need do is ASK. That will run people off forums faster than the plague kills.

Many of us (including myself) operate in close vicinity to an airstrip quite often. It CAN be done legally and it CAN be done safely.

One flaw is in your statement (in reference to flying in the US of A) that states:
"there is no chance someone in charge of this or any other “field”would give someone permission to fly a drone of the end of a runway"
If you are flying as a hobbyist you are required to NOTIFY the tower/facility prior to your flying session. Take note, you are NOT asking for permission but merely NOTIFYING them. They can tell you to NOT fly if it poses a threat to NAS Safety but even then it's up to you to make the decision to fly or not (and if you DO you are taking your wallet into your own hands as other ordinances are probably going to bring you under great scrutiny by local authorities). You are NOT asking for, nor will they grant permission to fly.

If you are flying under Part 107 you have to request authorization to fly depending on the type of AirSpace you're flying in regardless of distance from the airport.

Now to flip sides of this argument...

I fully disagree!
It is the responsibility of ALL of us to fly safely and the FAA has also stated it is up to us to "Self Police". If you see something that is a safety violation then you DO report it and the FAA will investigate it. We self policed for decades and it worked well for the R/C Aviation community. You don't need to "announce" your intentions but go ahead and report it to the local FSDO so they can investigate it.

Reporting a Safety Violation is not uncalled for, mean, or irrational. We are "playing" in the most congested/busiest AirSpace on the planet and we need to step up our game and be adults about it. Simply report it to the authority and let them handle it. If no incident occurred odds are they will (worse case) create a report and use it to educate the UAS operator.
So... Are you saying that we should be reporting all of the non-LOS flights we read about on this forum?

So... Are you saying that we should be reporting all of the non-LOS flights we read about on this forum?

Read about? Absolutely not. Don't be silly.

If you're there and SEE IT and it endangers NAS then report it.

Just above your comment @stitch0852 summed it up perfectly.

I'm glad you said it one more time. Thank You. I do not condone the activities of those not governed by our laws and I hope those watching those crimes " don't try that at home." I am very pro safety but I am not an international cop. I am sure those drone pilots have heard about the safety issue. But jumping on the authorities with no facts would certainly draw more attention to a couple of idiots and the need for more laws. I am only going to say this once. Just kidding.

Ok gang... let's get this thread back on track and quit making it personal. I'm talking to several in here not just one or two (but I am talking to them also LOL).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT