Loosing your drone.

Reaction score
Hi guy's. Why do people keep pushing them to the point of possibly loosing their drone. I'm not trying to be a jerk, so please don't take it that way. I just want to try to understand why. For me, I paid a lot for my drone and I don't want to loose it. The wife would kill me if I came home and say " hey honey I'm going to go and buy a new drone, I lost mine"...... Of course I would get the p4p, but that's a different story all together. Lol

coming from mars

I'm sure some cases are a case of a little liquid courage factoring there :D

Some people gamble more than others. That includes cost of the drone, possible FAA fines, etc. I'm sure there are countless people out there who have lost their drone (considering how many DJI has sold) that you never hear about because they aren't members of this forum.

Hi guy's. Why do people keep pushing them to the point of possibly loosing their drone. I'm not trying to be a jerk, so please don't take it that way. I just want to try to understand why. For me, I paid a lot for my drone and I don't want to loose it. The wife would kill me if I came home and say " hey honey I'm going to go and buy a new drone, I lost mine"...... Of course I would get the p4p, but that's a different story all together. Lol

coming from mars

I can't even say don't fly to keep it safe as if you don't fly batteries will go dead and will put you in trouble.

So keep flying to keep it safe. Oh that's also not true as one may make a mistake and may have to pay heavy penalty.

So the best way to keep your money safe is by not buying it at all. No, that's also not true, I might spend my money somewhere else.

Got it. Money is for my fun, let me get my drone. I won't think much again on the topic.

Most common reasons of losing a drone are:

1. Not following good flying practices
2. Equipment failure
3. Human mistakes

Don't know fear of wife falls under which category, worth debating.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Like other posters, I like to push the boundaries and get quite a buzz from a distance flight over the sea and deserted coastline, especially knowing if it goes down it is a total loss.I do not fly distance over land.
I have however had 150 flights from my P4, and if I lost it, yes much sorrow, but I have had some relatively cheap enjoyment, in terms of £/$/ flight.
I do of course get very scared on distant flights over water, so it makes me ultra cautious with my pre flight checks.
Top of my list for scary flights are check props, and check battery secure, both of which can be fatal.
I often set off, and then come back to re check everything.
It is very gratifying to catch sight of the quad as it returns, and breathe a sigh of relief, but of course it is just as likely to go down whether you can see it or not.

The thing is if you fly over water at a decent height and you lose it, if you flew over land and lost it chances are it wouldnt be savable anyway, it would be broke into pieces, so to me if it goes in the drink it would be the same result over land.

Sent from my XT1526 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I prefer it if it were to go down over water, rather than land, I am very conservative and do not want to hit people or property.
But yes you are correct, in terms of damage/loss it does not matter. Perception is difficult, as I said in my post whether you can see it or not, does not affect the chances of it going down. Sea water or hard land, the damage is usually fatal.
Greetings from the UK.

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
The thing is if you fly over water at a decent height and you lose it, if you flew over land and lost it chances are it wouldnt be savable anyway, it would be broke into pieces, so to me if it goes in the drink it would be the same result over land.

Sent from my XT1526 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Indeed, most of us fly over 300 ft., to me there is no difference if I put one on the drink or if I crash it while flying over land.

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
I guess I just see people's drones going done and it makes you want to do everything I can to make sure this doesn't happen. I know with me anything past about 2000ft I have a hard time even seeing it.

coming from mars

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers