Loose carbon fibre props (crashed)

Sorry t
The only think I mentioned was torque. Speeding up is not speed (as in higher RPMs), it's mentioning torque.

But not sure why that really matters. My point is still valid and does not require much detail.

Those props are 100% crap and should not even be sold. I've always been critical of those people who buy into this "carbon fiber" prop thing. It's a waste of money at best.
Sorry tcope- the "?" at the end of your post, for me at least, suggested you were looking for clarity.

What is interesting here is that the props are seemingly nothing more than repurposed faux carbon fibre phantom 3 units. We can reasonably expect they might spin off in flight. As was the case on the phantom 3, active breaking isn't a new feature to the phantom 4, it was introduced when DJI implemented the Texas Instruments 3 phase motor driver SOC with the 3 series.

I'm with you in recommending OEM props. The standard phantom 4 units are carbon fibre impregnated nylon- very likely superior to most if not all aftermarket alternatives despite what the marketing blurb might suggest.

The stock hub is replaced with a screw adapter. It's supposed to work with the active braking system as it's works against the screw, thus tightening when slowing down. WONT BE USING THEM AGAIN.

You can take opportunity to install the new DJI P4P propeller hub which is compatible with P4. It's an improved design.

Stock blades are very nicely designed, well balanced and difficult to beat. Note I don't trust the fixation system shown in this vid and eventually adding glue vs need to remove blades for transport etc.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have suffered my first drone crash after one of my carbon fibre props came loose and came off whilst in sport mode. Although I was lucky as a minute earlier I had been flying over a lake, it hurts badly to see it damaged. It's now being repaired and I've decided to put the original props back on as these lock in place rather than screw on. What's other people's thoughts on using the 'screw on' carbon fibre props?
I believe in "if not ain't broke don't fix it". Why tinker with what works (and would not be rejected by DJI as 'third party items'). DJI props are fine for me.

I use these master airscrew props with red lock tite and they are superior in every aspect. I've got over 20 batteries thru them and they are noticeably quieter in particular.

Some people prefer the CF props given they are, arguably, more precise with movement, but typically a bit louder. Also, given their design, if they make contact with and hit another object, they will completely shatter into pieces, making it more risky, given the loss of 1 or 2 props means it falls from the sky. Plastic ones can break too (obviously) but even half the length of 1 propeller missing, from tests I've seen, it can still take off and land...

I'm going to get some similar to those posted, but would only dare trying when I am confident enough with the use of my quad and many more hours experience under my belt.

RoOSTA

mmmm... metal on metal screw connection. I can't think of any easier way for a screw to twist off with a little force.

IMHO, the people who make these should be shot.... and then the people who sell them should be wipped.

I totally agree, the set I bought for my CX20 caused the death of my drone. When I flexed one (gently) it split like a piece of bamboo. A relatively cheap item that can kill your very expensive quad. Same goes for the people who produce the fake batteries.

Some interesting materials here about the pros and cons of Carbon vs Plastic. Helped me a lot to choose what was correct for me......

Carbon Fibre Props or Plastic?
What did you end up going with?

The first consideration is that most offerings for the phantoms are faux CF, they look the goods however some contain no CF at all let alone having the benefits of true woven CF construction. As you may have read, no aftermarket offering will provide for improved performance on the phantom AC, the flight controller will simply modify the propulsion outputs effectively negating any improvement that might otherwise have been realised.

Reactions: RémyHeli
Once my P4 had been repaired I went back to the plastic as more reliable and they lock on rather than screw on.

Yep, exactly half of the two sets of CF props I ordered were out of balance. The original DJI props have all been perfect.
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: RémyHeli
Some interesting materials here about the pros and cons of Carbon vs Plastic. Helped me a lot to choose what was correct for me......

Carbon Fibre Props or Plastic?
Seriously? Balanced as compared to DJI props? You haven't done enough reading. DJI props have consistently won the balance challenges. They aren't always perfect, bUT are consistently closer if not perfectly balanced. You would agree for best performance we drone pilot should always use a prop balancer when adding new props and make periodic balance checks, yes?

Less likely to break? That's not what I read. Carbon fiber props are brrittle and are the first thing to break; they chip and splinter more readily than plastic.

Keep flying and do more reading. Your young and have a long road ahead :)

Oh my, time to make enemies. Carbon fiber aftermarket props are safe and dependable if you BALANCE THEM IF NEEDED. I would strongly suggest you inspect the blades carefully. If you bought fake carbon fibers, one, you will have paid some bargain price to a China shop. Two, you will realize that the shiny finish on those bargain props is tape. If they pass the Chinese smoke and mirror test then take the time to BALANCE them. A viable reason for your prop coming loose is you didn't tighten it down quite enough and because you were flying in Sport Mode whenever you slowed quickly or came to abrupt stops, the additional torque or braking would loosen the prop. oh yeah, DJI props are consistently well made and balanced (or very, very close). The reason is their blades/props are made for DJI drones and DJI drones are tested with their DJI props.

Last edited:
Oh my, time to make enemies. Carbon fiber aftermarket props are safe and dependable if you BALANCE THEM IF NEEDED. I would strongly suggest you inspect the blades carefully. If you bought fake carbon fibers, one, you will have paid some bargain price to a China shop. Two, you will realize that the shiny finish on those bargain props is tape. If they pass the Chinese smoke and mirror test then take the time to BALANCE them. A viable reason for your prop coming lose is you didn't tighten it down quite enough and because you were flying in Sport Mode whenever you slowed quickly or came to abrupt stops, the additional torque or braking would loosen the prop. oh yeah, DJI props are consistently well made and balanced (or very, very close). The reason is their blades/props are made for DJI drones and DJI drones are tested with their DJI props.
Tighten down how? Are you suggesting aftermarket screw thread adapters should be fitted to the P4? Great, let’s add a further potential failure mode into the mix.

I never would. I was just trying to cover those bases. I'm not completely sure the quick disconnects would loosen in flight that way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic