Loose carbon fibre props (crashed)

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have suffered my first drone crash after one of my carbon fibre props came loose and came off whilst in sport mode. Although I was lucky as a minute earlier I had been flying over a lake, it hurts badly to see it damaged. It's now being repaired and I've decided to put the original props back on as these lock in place rather than screw on. What's other people's thoughts on using the 'screw on' carbon fibre props?

I read somewhere here that is not recommend to use carbon fiber props has they are very unreliable. The ones that come with the drone are more stable and very reliable.

I'm not sure how props on the P4 would screw on since this is not even possible with the stock hub.

The P4 in no way is designed to allows props to screw on so some heavy 3rd party modification would be needed. The P4 does not allow screw on props due to it's active braking system. Screw on props would tend to.... spin off during flight.

In doing so, you'd came off and the P4 crashed. You are now asking what other people's thoughts are on these props?

Don't use after market props and don't bother with "carbon fiber" props are they don't make any difference in flight. OEM props are cheap as they are and they work as designed.

The stock hub is replaced with a screw adapter. It's supposed to work with the active braking system as it's works against the screw, thus tightening when slowing down. WONT BE USING THEM AGAIN.

The stock hub is replaced with a screw adapter. It's supposed to work with the active braking system as it's works against the screw, thus tightening when slowing down. WONT BE USING THEM AGAIN.
Sound like dodgy marketing to me- designed to tighten when braking? Logically that means they are designed to spin off when not braking....

Who are these supplied by?

Can you post picks of the threaded mount modification by any chance?

For me one of the big plus points of the P4 was the prop fixing mechanism is so much more secure than screw fixing. I would not like a modification that offered less security.

I will do when my baby is returned from repair. I've asked them to replace the original fixings and props.
I bought them from Drones for Less, where I also got the drone from.

If drones for less recommended the fixing system that didn't work and supplied and fitted it I would be asking them to cover the repair also. It was arguably their supplied product that likely caused the loss.

If drones for less recommended the fixing system that didn't work and supplied and fitted it I would be asking them to cover the repair also. It was arguably their supplied product that likely caused the loss.
Checked their site and can't find anything listed about this " fixing" system. Doesn't say anything about their carbon fiber props using anything but stock hubs, as far as I can see. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

J
Checked their site and can't find anything listed about this " fixing" system. Doesn't say anything about their carbon fiber props using anything but stock hubs, as far as I can see. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Listed for phantom 4 as an upgrade....
IMG_3200.PNG

Saw the add. I'm not seeing anything about changed hubs or the like. Am I missing it? Thanks
No.... I didn't see anything re changing hubs either, a picture is worth 1000 words in some instances though. These certainly look like the P3 style hubs on a P4 body.

No.... I didn't see anything re changing hubs either, a picture is worth 1000 words in some instances though. These certainly look like the P3 style hubs on a P4 body.
Ahh...never looked hard at the pic. Guess I was trying to gleen the info from the write-up. Thanks

Reactions: Quadcrasher
and untightening when the prop is sped up (which is the highest torque)?
Actually, for electric motors, torque reduces with speed. The tendency for the prop to unscrew would be higher at increased speed however given the drag and thrust loading, particularly during acceleration. It's likely the claim for tightening during braking is unfounded though- the threads seem to be handed the same as we are familiar with on the P3 and earlier AC.

Actually, for electric motors, torque reduces with speed. The tendency for the prop to unscrew would be higher at increased speed however given the drag and thrust loading, particularly during acceleration. It's likely the claim for tightening during braking is unfounded though- the threads seem to be handed the same as we are familiar with on the P3 and earlier AC.
The only think I mentioned was torque. Speeding up is not speed (as in higher RPMs), it's mentioning torque.

But not sure why that really matters. My point is still valid and does not require much detail.

Those props are 100% crap and should not even be sold. I've always been critical of those people who buy into this "carbon fiber" prop thing. It's a waste of money at best.

I bought two sets of carbon fiber props and exactly half of them were out of balance. I switched back to DJI props as all of them have been balanced.
Jim
WA5TEF

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen