Flyaway prop problems

Reaction score
Interested to see if any one has experienced my problem. Recently I went to fly my FC40 and decided to attempt to fly again after a fly away experience a few months ago. After much thought I came up with a reason for my last fly away so I wanted to test my theory.
So I went to a secluded area away from civilisation. Set the FC40 up with the factory props and it flew perfectly.
I recalled on my last fly away that I was keen to test some new props out. So I tried them again. And the same thing happened. On take of it just went straight up with no control, flew for about 300 meters and just descended and crashed.
My original thoughts were no home lock, but I made sure I had the correct start up before lift of,
These props were purchased as Phantom 2 props which had work ok previously. Only difference was these were white props and the previous ones I used were carbon Fibre.
I have inspected the blades and they appear to be similar.

Are the problematic props DJI brand?

Another possible factor is balance.
In extreme situations excessive [prop] vibration can confuse the IMU.

Just had same problem. Put some other props on and trued it and it thought it could get away. Put my original dji props back on.....steady as a rock. Must be unbalanced props surely?

Some cross pollination with this thread:
After market props | DJI Phantom Forum

P1 - I swap around different types, sizes of props all the time and never experience anything close to a fly away. Balancing is imperative of course - cheap/easy to do.

Key IMO is to match props with payload of the day. Stiff CF (carbon fiber) large 9450/9443 props should avoid light payloads.

Loaded up (weighted down) with cam, gimbal, dual batteries, VTX, etc., stiff high lift props will behave more docile.

Stripped down naked birds with stock battery pack/brick should fly with the 8” props unless you’re looking for a particular flight characteristic or dynamic and know what you’re doing.

Fly aways will have more to do with compass errors than anything else, IMO.

We're the props marked xoxo

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Bryon has the best advice as discussed in the topic with my phantom 2 vision. Had xoxo props on and it flew away. Repaired it once i got it back, put on dji original props, right as rain. I think the xoxo are a pile of crap.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie