Loooooooong Range Night Flight P4P

There's no 500' floor for manned aircraft. In a sparsely populated area a plane can fly all the way down to the deck, provided it flies 500' AWAY from people and buildings.

I used to long distance fly all the time... that was my thing... But about a month ago I stopped. I realized how dangerous flying my drone that far out really is. I certainly can appreciate people creating the safest flight, using all the precautions which have been previously mentioned...but here's what you can't control, and it is what now makes me extremely nervous... you cannot predict or stop a glitch from anywhere (drone or otherwise) which my cause the drone to fly away, behave uncontrollably, or fall to earth like a rock. If in a populated area, if may cause property damage or injure someone. Personally I could not live with myself if that were to happen. I will add that I am totally bored sending my drone up and staying within visual. Totally!! I may stop flying because I can't get my "high" (pun intended).
God Bless And Have A Good Weekend !! Steve

Reactions: Darian Trotter
Very cool. I’m curious, what were your camera settings? ISO, f-stop, frame rate, shutter speed?

When color correcting shots from my first night flight, I notice a lot of noise in the mids and blacks. I’ve been testing different exposure and frame rate settings over time but haven’t found the sweet spot yet. Any advice?

Yikes. I’m not sure. I have some nice edited night flights but I’ve not color corrected. Check out my YouTube- search Dee Trott Dee Trott

Reactions: David_Cambridge
I appreciate all of the things that you did to minimize the risks for this flight. Sounds like you thought it out much more than most folks I see posting here. Hopefully some of those folks that want to go "Willy Nilly" will read this and realize just how many things need to be taken into consideration to minimize risks before attempting a long distance flight like this.

That being said, I must admit that I still have concerns about flights like these. While studying for the Part 107 test I learned that it is okay at times to take calculated risks when the purpose of the mission outweighs the risks being taken. I am guessing that the purpose of this mission was to set a personal goal. So I guess that is where I take issue. Not sure the purpose of the mission outweighed all of the risks that you mitigated and other unforseen risks that MAY not have been mitigated.

Not trying to be judgemental. Again, I appreciate how much effort went into planning the mission- wish others would do the same. I am just struggling trying to understand this whole drone thing and how the risk takers are enticing the government to step in. But in the end, well planned flights like this may underscore that some of the fears about drones are unfounded.

Glad your flight went well. But I am curious if you were flying under Part 107 with a nighttime waiver or as a Hobbyist under the rules of a Community Based Organization. If as a Hobbyist, what CBO?

I also forgot to mention that my biggest fear in taking long flights is helicopters as opposed to fixed wing aircraft - especially commercial aircraft. Technically they are supposed to stay above 500 ft while enroute but there are a lot of situations where they are permitted to fly lower.

I also forgot to mention that my biggest fear in taking long flights is helicopters as opposed to fixed wing aircraft - especially commercial aircraft. Technically they are supposed to stay above 500 ft while enroute but there are a lot of situations where they are permitted to fly lower.

When you make statements regarding what is legal where are you finding your information?
To be legal a helicopter has no required lowest altitude that it must be flown unless carrying passengers under FAR Part 135. For flights under FAA Part 91 the regs actually state:
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA.

Generally I must agree with pporozin. There is nothing but flying in a straight line out there and back and waiting, when you going to loose the signal. Pretty boring. But I must not agree completely with that "line of sight" distance. At 500m it is very likely not to see it any more. Partly it depends on weather conditions, but when you are 500m out there (below 120m), you need to do just a quick look on the display and there you are. It happened to me several times even closer than 500m. But in the area of no high obstacles around this is something not to be worried about, because you have the live picture on the screen and therefore you can see where you are flying. In such circumstances you can safely do another couple of hundred m. So, if we strictly obey the rule 'of sight' even 400m or less is the limit of distance, unless you have the hawk eye.

jrlsn, not sure if you were referring to my comments when you mention making statements about what is legal. If so, I probably should have said that I have HEARD that GENERALLY, helicopters are supposed to stay above 500 feet while reroute. I do not propose that I know all of the restrictions for helicopters. I was looking for that in the FARs one time but never found it. But what I did find is information like you quoted that made it obvious to me that they have plenty of leeway to fly at lower altitudes so we can't assume they will usually be above 500 feet. Your reference further confirms my fear of the chances of confronting a helicopter on long distance flights. That is why I have never taken my Phantom very far out.

I also don't understand how people feel comfortable relying on their video feed as a way of justifying flying way out there. I have had several instances where my video freezes or the Go app shuts down. Another reason why I like to keep my Phantom where I can easily see it.

You can make these a little safer by flying lower. I've done them and for the most part stay as low as possible,,,200 feet or so much less likely anything will be flying at that height.

Most drones are at least sometimes are flown out of VLOS because one considers it necessary to get a shot or just out of the fun of watching a Litchi Mission navigate from point to point out of VLOS! I’m not an advocate of bending or breaking rules because they were installed before navigation and video feeds were advanced to today’s norm. By flying lower than the suggested 400 feet I frequently loose the signal thus relying on Litchi to complete my well planned mission to execute on its own. I’m in a rural area with numerous agriculture fields and trees with the trees blocking part of the signals so going higher nets me 100% signal strength out to 7,500 feet going much lower gets trees in the way.
Thanks four your posting.
Jim
WA5TEF

I timed everything perfectly, judging the wind speed and the height. I adjusted the height on the return to spare battery power, AND stopped recording. Still it JUST made it back to the empty parking lot I launched from. I stayed calm as it auto landed right in front of me. I wouldn't have been able to make this distance under normal conditions, and without manipulating the height

jrlsn, not sure if you were referring to my comments when you mention making statements about what is legal. If so, I probably should have said that I have HEARD that GENERALLY, helicopters are supposed to stay above 500 feet while reroute. I do not propose that I know all of the restrictions for helicopters. I was looking for that in the FARs one time but never found it. But what I did find is information like you quoted that made it obvious to me that they have plenty of leeway to fly at lower altitudes so we can't assume they will usually be above 500 feet. Your reference further confirms my fear of the chances of confronting a helicopter on long distance flights. That is why I have never taken my Phantom very far out.

I also don't understand how people feel comfortable relying on their video feed as a way of justifying flying way out there. I have had several instances where my video freezes or the Go app shuts down. Another reason why I like to keep my Phantom where I can easily see it.
Yeah, all the more reason to ditch DJI GO in favor of the reliable Litchi. At least Litchi gives one the choice of actually programming a flight exactly and then does not crash for no reason. If a waypoint route is flown and the link is lost, the mission continues until it RTH or whatever choice is chosen. Much safer than GO. AND, a might bit more reliable too!!!
Thanks for posting though,
Jim
WA5TEF

I timed everything perfectly, judging the wind speed and the height. I adjusted the height on the return to spare battery power, AND stopped recording. Still it JUST made it back to the empty parking lot I launched from. I stayed calm as it auto landed right in front of me. I wouldn't have been able to make this distance under normal conditions, and without manipulating the height when needed.
My Mavic autolanded a 1/4 mile away at 10% battery. (Found it via GPS. It hovered above a tree canopy before descending, or falling, through the trees. The landing system didn't this trees were acceptsble LOL) I hadn't learned that with enough up on the left stick, the autoland can be overridden, and the Mavic at least flown down to near zero battery. If this isn't common knowledge it should be for emergencies.

Generally speaking if your more than 5 miles out from an airport air traffic is supposed to stay up higher than 400 feet. Generally speaking. You can buy flashing beacons for the top of your drone that makes it visible. People are ridiculously paranoid due to government propaganda. A P4 is a very low threat to most aircraft anyway its just not heavy enough to cause a problem. There are tons of 10lb. canadian geese flying where ever they **** will please. The truth is they do not like you having a flying camera.. that's all. Personally I try to stay under 250 ft. but 400 is okay if your not on the glide path for an airport.
He had a downward radio LOS, far away from an airport, in a rural area, and he could stay low because of his antenna mod and view point. And it was 5am. (BTW an aircraft is allowed to fly down near ground level over uninhabited areas. Never closer than 500' to any structure or person. It's fun, and good practice. But you need to know the risks you're taking to get that practice (The ground, trees, unseen POWER LINES, but it's legal.) "In any case high enough to present no undue hazard to people or property on the ground in the event of a power unit failure".)
I know that looking at the odds would be scant consolation to a helicopter pilot, who happened to be flying below 400' in the middle of nowhere, at 5am, at the exact altitude and time as the P4P. BUT I'd bet all my money, and yes life, on the collision hazard that existed on this particular flight. Miricles (negative ones here) can happen, and you're betting others lives also. But I fly light aircraft and helicopters, and I can't manage to feel concern over this flight. If I was flying then (5am, <400', in the boonies) and managed to get killed by a P4, I'd figure God was calling me, and wouldn't want the drone pilot to hang.

I appreciate all of the things that you did to minimize the risks for this flight. Sounds like you thought it out much more than most folks I see posting here. Hopefully some of those folks that want to go "Willy Nilly" will read this and realize just how many things need to be taken into consideration to minimize risks before attempting a long distance flight like this.

That being said, I must admit that I still have concerns about flights like these. While studying for the Part 107 test I learned that it is okay at times to take calculated risks when the purpose of the mission outweighs the risks being taken. I am guessing that the purpose of this mission was to set a personal goal. So I guess that is where I take issue. Not sure the purpose of the mission outweighed all of the risks that you mitigated and other unforseen risks that MAY not have been mitigated.

Not trying to be judgemental. Again, I appreciate how much effort went into planning the mission- wish others would do the same. I am just struggling trying to understand this whole drone thing and how the risk takers are enticing the government to step in. But in the end, well planned flights like this may underscore that some of the fears about drones are unfounded.

Glad your flight went well. But I am curious if you were flying under Part 107 with a nighttime waiver or as a Hobbyist under the rules of a Community Based Organization. If as a Hobbyist, what CBO?

Thanks for your comment. Very fair. I’m just a hobbyist. I started after buying a drone for Christmas last year. Most of my flights are not long range. It takes too much planning, and getting the spotters, etc. I boosted the antenna for a stronger signal for regular flights because I live in a metropolitan area. Another expensive safeguard I took. I realize no matter what safeguards taken or the purpose of the flight there are always risks — and posting video or pictures here or anywhere opens the door for criticism. I don’t know that purpose of any drone flight outweighs the risk. There’s always going to be the “what if” whether you in an open field or city. Depends on what side of the coin we care to support. There would be far fewer hobbyists if we couldn’t fly high, far, and fast. We just have to use good judgment and be safe. I did both. But we can’t please everyone in the crowd. I get it.

You can make these a little safer by flying lower. I've done them and for the most part stay as low as possible,,,200 feet or so much less likely anything will be flying at that height.
Indeed. LOS radio control can also be vastly improved by flying from an elevated location above your destination, such that you may fly even lower than 200 feet over the ground, without losing signal, at long distance. Just watch out for the power lines and church spires, and know where they are in play! :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119