Looks like DJI will have some competition! Xiaomi mi drone

Hey just curious with their tablets can you change the language from Chinese to English? I heard some of their products it was hard to get with everything in english and had to root it in order to get the english characters installed onto it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I have the MI Pad 2 and the language change is simple, handled by the OS natively

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Looks nice but no much information about the features, Range, Altitude, RTH etc
range is probably horrible, that controller doesnt even look like it has antennas, and it looks like the entire tings is 100% connected by wifi. looks worse than p3s. there will probably be some people that buy it and then buy $300 range extenders like the p3s

I agree competition is good for the industry. I believe Yuneec has and still giving DJI real competion. I have a P3 and Q500 4K. I find that both have their good and bad. I find I fly the Yuneec more. I have dealing with both companies customer service and Yuneec's is far better than DJI. Right now I am still deciding if I will take the jump to P4 or go with Typhoon H (leaning more towards Typhoon)

Don't get too excited yet. This is just a dream of a drone.
Xiaomi don't have any to sell and they haven't even started a beta test program
All they have done is launched the concept.
The drone world is full of undelivered concept drones and crowdfunded projects.
Xiaomi tells us that the cheaper model will be “crowdfunded” inside the company’s Mi Home app from 26 May 2016, while the 4K drone will be made available for early testing via an open beta program at the end of July. There’s no word on when (or whether) it will be sold outside of China.

The company said it would start testing the product via an "open beta programme" involving the public in July, but has not said when the final product will go on sale, or whether it will be offered outside of China.

I am not sure what you mean by "Beta Test Program"? But if it means what I think it does, you are incorrect. I see videos of the Drone flying around. I see him holding one in his hands. I don't care if they have the casts already to mold the model, or the ones we see are 3D printed (which I seriously doubt looking at the material). However, that to is a Drone. Call it a Beta Drone or something else. It does not matter. What matters is, that there is a Drone.

where is the phone or tablet holder didn't see one looks kinda cheap

I agree competition is good for the industry. I believe Yuneec has and still giving DJI real competion. I have a P3 and Q500 4K. I find that both have their good and bad. I find I fly the Yuneec more. I have dealing with both companies customer service and Yuneec's is far better than DJI. Right now I am still deciding if I will take the jump to P4 or go with Typhoon H (leaning more towards Typhoon)
Are you stuck using the screen built into the controller with the Yuneec models?

Don't get too excited yet. This is just a dream of a drone.
Xiaomi don't have any to sell and they haven't even started a beta test program
All they have done is launched the concept.
The drone world is full of undelivered concept drones and crowdfunded projects.
Xiaomi tells us that the cheaper model will be “crowdfunded” inside the company’s Mi Home app from 26 May 2016, while the 4K drone will be made available for early testing via an open beta program at the end of July. There’s no word on when (or whether) it will be sold outside of China.

The company said it would start testing the product via an "open beta programme" involving the public in July, but has not said when the final product will go on sale, or whether it will be offered outside of China.
At least they are admitting that early adopters will be an 'open beta' program. Unlike some other companies we could mention ....

still think its just a cheap drone doesn't peek my interest

Read more like a press release than a review.

Poorly written and punctuated.

Yea this is DJI competition, like Huffy is to Trek (bikes).

nice to see other companies trying to compete but this one doesn't measure up

Ack! The goggles! They do nothing!

What a horrid 'review'. Bad Chinglish. I think this came straight out of Google Translate. Totally superficial (talking about a cheap nylon backpack, really?).

I'm not expecting much for the price. If they can make a 'disposable' 4K drone then they have a market - just as GoPro made a market for a disposable camera with (barely) adequate video specs and Xiomi made their own market with an even more disposable version that was (mostly) adequate.

We'll just have to wait and see.

They clearly should have gotten someone better versed in presenting their product. He had no clue what the USB connection was for on the RC and kept saying "driving" instead of flying...WTF?

yeah would like to know the max speed and altitude as well

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Max altitude is stated to be 800M, which is over 50% higher than DJI's 500M. I don't believe their 2KM distance capability stated in other propaganda, since it appears to use Wifi for video comm, like everyone else that gets 1KM using WiFi. Their Facebook video states a more believable 1KM, like all other Wifi enabled drones.

The RC can't accommodate an Ipad mini, only a phone. And the holder is in the way of the antennas. This guy in the video says folding them down NOT PARALLEL is the best for distance, which is bogus. You have to angle the antennas down not-parallel to make room for the phone. This is really a bad design for the smart device. This buy itself is a good reason not to buy it. Other features look good. If it had Lightbridge, or something similar INSTEAD OF WIFI, it would be a viable competitor to DJI.

I like the folding landing gear and removable gimbal/camera, pretty cleaver. However, this implies the video antenna is inside the camera, similar to how Yuneec does their RF comm to the RC. It's a small antenna.

This should be able to compete with other WiFi enabled drones, and it should capture market share due to price point at <$400 for 1080P video. That's all I shoot is 1080, even though I have 4K capability. The DJI Phantom P3S is in the same class as this unit, for about $100 more, at $500 with 2.7K video. I expect DJI to drop their price on the Standard to $400 to put the hurt on the MI drone, once it's shipping.

Last edited:
yep this one looks like a pile of dog due

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair