Looks lik is U.K users are gonna get screwed over.

Reaction score
Here we go. Time for the government in the u.k to screw is over.

UK to bring in drone registration - BBC News

Probably looking at a way to make money from us drone users.

The thing is there's rules already in place. They don't need changing. Why can't officials see this. So people are braking the rules now and apparently that means new rules should be introduced. Well guess what people are going to break then also. It's seems silly to me that because current rules are being broken then they thing the way to fix that is to introduce new stricter rules. If it gets silly then I will just sell my phantom. It's no fun if you can't use it without thinking am I gonna get in trouble for this.

I mean the line of sight thing - I could fly my p4 2 miles away and get in trouble. But the reality would be I know where it is , ok I may not be able to see it but come on man... oh I got such a bad feeling about what's to come.

Thinking about it I'm not actually allow d to fly my drone anywhere. So according to the drone code I have to stay 500ft away from crowds and built up areas so that means.. I can't fly from my back garden or anywhere near my neighbourhood

So I need to find a empty area. Ok. The forest. Nope. By law says no drones on the forest period.

Ok so no built up areas and no forest. Ok then beach. Oh wait crowds of people. Nope not there either. Then

Ok so maybe I can just fly over the sea forever

Not if there are surfers or boats... haha
Your right though tighten the rules and punish the sensible user..
People who break rules don't care anyway, just look at driving rules/laws how many of them get broken everyday and who pays honest citizens who carry out there business lawfully..
Seems to be an ethos in the UK of penalise the innocent to pay for the criminal...

Not if there are surfers or boats... haha
Your right though tighten the rules and punish the sensible user..
People who break rules don't care anyway, just look at driving rules/laws how many of them get broken everyday and who pays honest citizens who carry out there business lawfully..
Seems to be an ethos in the UK of penalise the innocent to pay for the criminal...

Yep thats the thing, when drivers speed, or drink drive the government run campaigns to educate people, they don't say hold on , lets introduce new driving or drinking laws, i think they are trying to find a way thew can make money from us..

Yep that's the prime motive I'm guessing.... money.
How many drivers do you still see on mobile phones or how many driving without insurance etc, everyone knows what they have to do it's just the few that don't care and these are the ones that are causing insurance etc to rise. Hence the majority being penalised because of the minority.
No matter what laws are put in place certain people will always push the boundaries and break them.. A'holes.

I can't see how it makes a difference if its registered in all honesty. I mean.. Let's say I registered... Then I flew illegally... How are they going to get my drone registration number flying fast at 200 metres? Only way is to follow the drone and see where it lands... That's the only way it can be done regardless of being registered or not. My only concern is the geofencing being expanded. I fly by the Thames at a low level. If the geofence gets put in place then I will use litchi.

And the chatter over here is that we will follow the mother country and adopt similar measures. I commented that we will continue to tolerate the number of deaths from farmers, trail bike riders and indeed registered road users and go after the operators of drones, RC helos, planes, gliders and whatever in the absence of critical data that indicate that such legislation is necessary, cost effective, manageable and indeed relevant.
Hysteria much.....

Reactions: Dazzauk
I can't see how it makes a difference if its registered in all honesty. I mean.. Let's say I registered... Then I flew illegally... How are they going to get my drone registration number flying fast at 200 metres? Only way is to follow the drone and see where it lands... That's the only way it can be done regardless of being registered or not. My only concern is the geofencing being expanded. I fly by the Thames at a low level. If the geofence gets put in place then I will use litchi.

Im thinking i wont ever update firmware again then maybe geo-fencing will remain as it is?

I dont know, im just pissed that the goverment are making such a big deal about drones all of a sudden, and what makes it worse is the rules and laws which are set in place come from people that are extremely un-educated about the use of these drones, i feel like id love to have my say, not that it would make a difference..

Its talk about oh the common people and the police should also be informed about the new rules etc, yeah that just gives anybody an excuse to report you or just interfere with you when flying for no good reason, i can see it now, flying minding your own business and you get these busy bodys come up to you, oi theres new rules now mate and you cant be doing that etc etc,

this world is so f'd up lol, i mean in all 100% honesty i like most people probably break the law every time we fly, the line of sight rule is bull - nobody can see there drone over 1 mile away, and most of us frequently fly over that distance, again flying over houses, yep im sure most of us have done that too, i mean you have to use some common sense with flying and making laws for these drones, i would never intentionally put anyone at danger and not even because im nice - i dont wanna loose £1600 im not that rich, so why would i endager anyone because that also endangers my phantom lol

Reactions: Neon Euc
Im thinking i wont ever update firmware again then maybe geo-fencing will remain as it is?

I dont know, im just pissed that the goverment are making such a big deal about drones all of a sudden, and what makes it worse is the rules and laws which are set in place come from people that are extremely un-educated about the use of these drones, i feel like id love to have my say, not that it would make a difference..

Its talk about oh the common people and the police should also be informed about the new rules etc, yeah that just gives anybody an excuse to report you or just interfere with you when flying for no good reason, i can see it now, flying minding your own business and you get these busy bodys come up to you, oi theres new rules now mate and you cant be doing that etc etc,

this world is so f'd up lol, i mean in all 100% honesty i like most people probably break the law every time we fly, the line of sight rule is bull - nobody can see there drone over 1 mile away, and most of us frequently fly over that distance, again flying over houses, yep im sure most of us have done that too, i mean you have to use some common sense with flying and making laws for these drones, i would never intentionally put anyone at danger and not even because im nice - i dont wanna loose £1600 im not that rich, so why would i endager anyone because that also endangers my phantom lol
Hearing you big guy, I'm like a number others that challenge their boundaries and do not place anyone at risk. The naysayers will disagree with the usual preamble of 'being responsible and flying within the rules', but given that some of us have the freedom to do exactly that and make adult decisions, I can take the risk. You cannot possibly account for the lowest common denominator WRT to drones, cars, planes, motorbikes and factor in a 'motherhood' statement to remove those that step outside of whatever guidelines is deemed to be socially and legally responsible.
Darwin awards are there for a reason.....

one of the excuses being used at the moment is when Gatwick airport had to close dowm for a while a couple of weeks ago because of a drone flying around the airport, so somebody must know who the A++++ was and why don't they report him or her, maybe that way a decent penatly might discourage others from doing stupid things like that

Hearing you big guy, I'm like a number others that challenge their boundaries and do not place anyone at risk. The naysayers will disagree with the usual preamble of 'being responsible and flying within the rules', but given that some of us have the freedom to do exactly that and make adult decisions, I can take the risk. You cannot possibly account for the lowest common denominator WRT to drones, cars, planes, motorbikes and factor in a 'motherhood' statement to remove those that step outside of whatever guidelines is deemed to be socially and legally responsible.
Darwin awards are there for a reason.....

Your 100% right, it comes down to adult decisions..

one of the excuses being used at the moment is when Gatwick airport had to close dowm for a while a couple of weeks ago because of a drone flying around the airport, so somebody must know who the A++++ was and why don't they report him or her, maybe that way a decent penatly might discourage others from doing stupid things like that

I agree, im 100% all for stopping people doing this crazy stuff, but figure out a way to stop this rather than affect flight laws as a whole..

Your 100% right, it comes down to adult decisions..
There are at 2,500 people killed on the roads in the the UK but does that make everyone a bad driver? There are 1,000's of people caught drunk driving and under the influence of drugs - does that you a bad driver? The penalties are harsher for drone flyers in the UK than these road offences.

There are at 2,500 people killed on the roads in the the UK but does that make everyone a bad driver? There are 1,000's of people caught drunk driving and under the influence of drugs - does that you a bad driver? The penalties are harsher for drone flyers in the UK than these road offences.

This is why the government frustrate the hell out of me, and again why i think they are just trying to make money.. I mean we al know in America the drone compulsory registration has failed, yet our brilliant goverment want to try the same thing... how clever lol

And if everyone ignores it like they do speed limits every time they drive ?.
They will have to abandon it, unless you have upgraded to the downgraded DJI app, who will just ground your drone.

Reactions: gunner370
I haven't updated my firmware for about 10 months due to all the bad reports on here, so how would new " Geo-fencing " affect me ( a responsible flyer ) or a more importantly a idiot who flies around airports etc.The point being new/more regulations will only affect those who register. How will they police any regulations ? Due to police cuts in the UK lots of laws are not been enforced , anti-social behaviour , litter, bikes on pavements, etc. Will the police really have the time,or inclination to spend there valuable time looking up at the sky.

Just like the SNP bringing in licences for airguns. Rules were already in place to stop the misuse of them, but because a druggy broke the existing rules and shot and killed a toddler, they pushed through the law so they must all be licenced. To the point where if I want to take my airgun over the border, I need a visitors permit, but if I want to take my 338LM, no problem.

It's just a way of showing the uninformed public that they are doing something to stop all the dangerous flying. The reality is, it won't change a thing.

Congratulations,,you guys are now dealing with what we have been in Canada. Fortunately it looks like we might end up ok. The ridiculous rules that were put in place have been scaled back and are still being negotiated.

A great deal of lobbying was done by NODE. If you are not a member of NODE, you should be. It costs NOTHING.

slightly late reply but I was skimming through some older unread posts....

You had your chance. All of the current discussions are based on documents that were put in the public domain for everyone to read and comment on (December 2016). It's not just faceless bureaucratsthough.. industry leaders had their say bodies such as the BMFA and FPVUK provided their input and the consultation was open to hobby flyers and commercial operators to add their opinions and have a say in how the hobby moved forwards rather than whining on Facebook and forums about how badly we are being treated by know nothing politicians.

The results? Less than 300 hobby drone flyers responded!!! Out of all the Facebook groups and forums only 286 drone flyers in the UK could be bothered to take part in something that involved slightly more than pressing the 'like button' on someone else's opinion typing a few words and doing their bit to safeguard the future of hobby flying in the UK.

If you were one of these 286 people that raised their voices then great, well done. If you weren't then you have absolutely no right to be moaning about what's happening because people like you were too lazy & ill informed to do anything about it.

this world is so f'd up lol, i mean in all 100% honesty i like most people probably break the law every time we fly, the line of sight rule is bull - nobody can see there drone over 1 mile away, and most of us frequently fly over that distance, again flying over houses, yep im sure most of us have done that too, i mean you have to use some common sense with flying and making laws for these drones, i would never intentionally put anyone at danger and not even because im nice - i dont wanna loose £1600 im not that rich, so why would i endager anyone because that also endangers my phantom lo

So, everything is wrong because you bought a drone, accepted that there would be limits on how you could fly and operate it yet still want the law changed because other people break laws all the time - that is ridiculous logic. The laws are there for a reason VLOS is little more than common sense - if you can't see the drone how can you hope to control it if you lose the video feed? Flying over congested areas? Again...why? You know there's a risk, you know it is against the rules yet it's OK for you even though you are putting people at risk.

I fly drones commercially and I've been flying R/C stuff for nearly 30 years now and have seen loads of accidents. I've crashed helis that I thought I was in full control of - right up to the point I wasn't. I've seen planes and helis fly away when radios have failed or owners have simply lost control due to lack of ability. These things happen and it's our job to ensure that every flight we make is as safe as possible and that should rule out solo flying over property or beyond VLOS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT