Looking forward to testing these range extenders...

I might very well end up doing that. Going to do my testing first though, I think.

Nice setup and video, cool neighborhood, well worth filming.
I would go with a higher frame rate for video though, a little choppy on movement. Could be how it was uploaded to YouTube, but likely the source video.
Keep up the good work!

Video was stock from the unit tbh. How do I change it?

Thanks for the encouragement!

When in video mode (as opposed to pic) it's under settings.
YouTube is helpful for further video settings if needed.
Enjoy flying and filming!

Ok.

First, I need to apologise for the lack of scientific data and results here.... as I didn't really do anything other than experience a bit of a bottom-clenching moment whilst using the Argtek aerials....

In a nutshell, the Argtek aerials didn't give me much more confidence than the standard setup if I'm to be perfectly honest. I experienced signal drop-outs at what I would consider to be short range - and certainly not very far as-the-crow-flies. The area is pretty low in RF interference, so there was no excuse there either.

As far as the DBS goes, they're worth every penny in my opinion. So much so, that I will be performing a permanent modification on my return; drilling the controller case, and allowing the connectors to sit with less stress and constriction.

The DBS allowed me to send the Phantom far, far away.... so far, I had to search for it with binoculars, but at the same time streaming back a clear picture to my handset.

I'll probably repurpose the aerials for my wifi router at home - or stick them on eBay. They'll be fine for someone else, I'm sure.

Anyway, here are some photos of today's flight at San Bay, Ardnamurchan (Western Scotland). The weather was fine, albeit a bit blustery. The P3S performed amazingly in the wind - very impressed with the stability and power in the motors.

(video to follow.... the internet bandwidth isn't fat enough for an upload at the moment, I'm afraid)

DJI_0471.JPG

DJI_0472.JPG

Good to hear.

I just bought 3 of these adaptors, saves me drilling anything, not that that worries me or anything but I would rather just keep the ARGTek bracket in place as it looks cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 226
The thing I've noticed about range extender mods is one person says ARGtek is great while someone else says ARGtek is no better than stock. Then someone says DBS is great and then another person says DBS didn't improve my range at all.

I am getting roughly 1,700ft with the ARGTek (which I think is a fake with cheap crappy antennas), it only cost me £20 2nd hand so I am not that bothered. Heard good things about the DBS so I am hoping I can at least get double or tripple what I am currently getting.

The little right angle adaptors will really finish the install off nicely and stop the stress on the wires.

I have the real ARGtek mod and it improved my range to where I had gotten over 4000 ft regularly but after the DJI FW and App update and then log back in escapade my range has been cut to no better than 2000 ft and that's not on a regular basis. In fact I've had trouble with wifi disconnects at very short distances. There is no doubt in my mind that DJI has cut power on remotes out of pressure from governments. Of course it doesn't surprise me with all the press lately about foolish pilots flying near jets landing at The Tel Aviv Airport or people hacking Mavic's to fly at one mile altitude.

When in video mode (as opposed to pic) it's under settings.
YouTube is helpful for further video settings if needed.
Enjoy flying and filming!

The app only lets me record at 30fps (P3 standard here)

Good to hear.

I just bought 3 of these adaptors, saves me drilling anything, not that that worries me or anything but I would rather just keep the ARGTek bracket in place as it looks cleaner.

Thanks for that - just ordered 3 of those!

What happened?

The camera clamp had become detached from the gimbal, but stayed attached to the lens body during transit, so when I lifted the P3 out of the box, it snagged and I ripped the camera from the gimbal body. It tore apart the motors and ripped the ribbon cable holding it all together.

Anyway, after some heart surgery by yours truly, it's all back together and calibrated. Took me a couple of attempts - I ripped the first replacement ribbon apart when I tested the camera without making sure the motor limiters were in place. £15 mistake. Second time, it all worked nicely, however needed some lateral thinking to identify that the gimbal horizon was 180 degrees out of line - which probably happened when the motor came apart. The motor was going crazy, which was a little disconcerting - looks like it was trying to flip itself through 180 degress, but was being limited by the gimbal limiters (thankfully). All fixed now.

Unfortunately, I'm now only flying at 30 metres, but I think that's something to do with the DJI Go app and is software/server related, rather than mechanical.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94