Looking forward to testing these range extenders...

Reaction score
This is my first post on there, so please go easy on me :)

I'm a P3 Standard user.

I've been doing a bit of eBaying, and have managed to get my hand on a bit of kit (see the photo below). I wanted to install a range extender with the minimum fuss and impact on the controller, should I eventually decide to take it back to standard (I won't, I know, but it's still early days :)

Anyway.... we're all ready to go. A week in Ardnamurchan, in wildest west Scotland! I should be able to test without much interference from WiFi and other radio sources. Only issue will be the lack of cellular coverage.

I'd be interested to hear what people suggest or think will be the best setup.

IMG_0974.JPG

Wow that looks like some heavy duty set up, let us have your verdict after testing..Weather not looking good for next week. Why do you need good cell network?, cache maps in advance.
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. Was concerned about the map and Litchi/login issue I've read about.

The weather has concerned me a little - just hope it stays relatively dry, and that the wind stays low; we'll be on the north coast, so a little exposed to the elements. Fingers crossed!

I've updated my Google maps offline areas for the places I'll be visiting. I'll try and give a good summary of my findings on my return.

This is my first post on there, so please go easy on me :)

I'm a P3 Standard user.

I've been doing a bit of eBaying, and have managed to get my hand on a bit of kit (see the photo below). I wanted to install a range extender with the minimum fuss and impact on the controller, should I eventually decide to take it back to standard (I won't, I know, but it's still early days :)

Anyway.... we're all ready to go. A week in Ardnamurchan, in wildest west Scotland! I should be able to test without much interference from WiFi and other radio sources. Only issue will be the lack of cellular coverage.

I'd be interested to hear what people suggest or think will be the best setup.

View attachment 86303
I am confident you WILL be VERY pleased.

Thanks.

First (local) test was a success, although it was a little bit windy. I used a Litchi mission to fly around a small mission. Didn't lose video once, although I think I was a little foolish/brave to send it up today.

Reactions: Mad Ox
Interesting, so you used the ARGTek mount and also attached the DBS mod as well. Cool. Always wondered if this could be done, even if it is obvious that it could seeing as the mount is nothing other than a mount lol.

I was looking at the Argtek but decided on the Alfa mod instead (for the P3s as well). Half the price of and the same or better performance as the Argtek from what I have read. I have not fully tested them yet, though I did run a Litchi mission with them installed and lost signal at 3500 feet, but with solid forest cover, hilly terrain, and only a 180' altitude I actually lost VLOS almost immediately, so I was pleased with the 3500 (since I was also not paying any attention to the direction I was aiming them).

DBS will no doubt provide the best range of the three, but is the most expensive. I think the Alfas are the best value overall.

I paid about £50 for a (new) Argtek and managed to snap up the DBS second hand for £50 too.

Ok, I've spent a bit, but I think I have enough kit now to get the best range I can expect from the equipment I have available to me.

I'll post some figures when I get away. I'll post in feet and metres, so we can all sort-of understand where we are with it.

i cant suggest the best set up from what you have(plus i never had argtek) but for me my DBS does the job. it got me over 2kms here in ireland. oh yeah!!! with magic power mod --- do the magic power mod,its needed in CE area for stronger signal strenght. search on here for the thread.
stock i got 300m,with dbs and no mod i got 900m,with DBS and magic power 2kms

I paid £25 for my ARGTek 2nd hand (pretty sure its a knockoff though) but wouldnt mind getting the DBS too. Glad to see that both can be utalised.

Even though mine 'might' be a knockoff it still seems to work, afterall, its the antennas that are doing the work, not the mount.

Is the magic power mod easy, or does it require a bit of open heart surgery?

Ah ok. Might have to wait until I return from holiday. Thanks for the advice

I take it there is a bit of adjustment in the DBS mounting frame? Does it sit very close to the ARGTek mount?

I am guessing you didnt fancy drilling any holes in your case, the idea of repurposing the ARGTek mount really appeals to me.

Yeah it's close. Have to screw the connectors with care. It would be easy to stress the connectors I think, however they look well made and as long as you're careful you should be fine

Did you try/consider swapping the connectors ie screw the angled connectors to the ARGTek mount and the straight connectors to the DBS? From you picture it looks like they would have a bit more clearance?

Went agead and ordered the DBS kit from MAXXUAV. All being well it will be here on Wednesday next week.

If the wires are bugging me I will just go ahead remove the ARGTek mount and drill the holes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4