Looking for a drone,around 2km(1.25mi) range. Any suggestions,advice,recommendations?

Reaction score
Atleast a 1.8km(1.15 mi) range is what I'm looking for.
Quality image,4k is not a must.
Follow me,360 and other modes are important but not necessary.
Open to any suggestion,advice,recommendation.

Atleast a 1.8km(1.15 mi) range is what I'm looking for.
Quality image,4k is not a must.
Follow me,360 and other modes are important but not necessary.
Open to any suggestion,advice,recommendation.
1.15 miles is well beyond legal VLOS ( visual line-of-sight)... in most First World countries you'll be flying illegally if you go that far out

Phantom 3, Phantom 4, all flavors of Mavics, will go that far

Please be careful with Follow Me, IMO that is a very quick and easy way to lose your drone

1.15 miles is well beyond legal VLOS ( visual line-of-sight)... in most First World countries you'll be flying illegally if you go that far out

Please be careful with Follow Me, IMO that is a very quick and easy way to lose your drone
Was not aware od that inf,thanks. However I live on a small island with literally no authorities. I dont fly too far vertically cause of planes and heli's,but I feel comfortable flying a bit over the limit(not too much) horizontally since I always fly in remote areas with 0 people near.
Can you elaborate on the follow me mode part?

i think p3 standard can't go 1,8km without mods, mine was losing signal at 0.5km

All phantom series after p3 standard and all mavic series but i think mavic air is the worst in terms of range compared to mavic pro and newer ones

All phantom series after p3 standard and all mavic series but i think mavic air is the worst in terms of range compared to mavic pro and newer ones
Since I plan on using a follow me mode a lot,could you please explain what you meant by saying follow me mode is an easy way to lose a drone? What was your experience with the follow me mode?
And you are sayng that most models after P3S can reach 1.8km or more?

Since I plan on using a follow me mode a lot,could you please explain what you meant by saying follow me mode is an easy way to lose a drone? What was your experience with the follow me mode?
And you are sayng that most models after P3S can reach 1.8km or more?
Follow me mode,,,can't say I've used it and I'm antique, some I just refuse to use so I keep control.....p3s range is only good for a 1km but some can be worse or better (luck of the draw on your drone)some fly great distance with no modified remote and some go couple hundred feet like mine at new,,it also seems sometimes things go wrong and it's off on its own trip,for this reason with all my drones I not use this feature,,,in saying that sometimes it works great from reading about it but does work with good gps so if signal not the best I would not use this feature
Screenshot_20190621-090739.jpg

However I live on a small island with literally no authorities.
Can I come live with you? LOL

'Follow Me' actually follows your phone/tablet, not 'you'.

How accurate/dependable it is depends on the quality, accuracy, and strength of the GPS receiver in the mobile device - which varies widely from phone to phone and tablet to tablet. Also there are sometimes unforeseen obstacles like elevation changes and unaccounted for trees towers etc.

I've never tried it and never plan to... I've read too many horror stories here about lost drones and just don't trust it.

And besides, I'm not so narcissistic that I feel the need to use it.

i think p3 standard can't go 1,8km without mods, mine was losing signal at 0.5km
I have a p3pro now but when I first got my standard, and before I had read enough posts here to know better, I went quite a bit further than that

Follow me mode,,,can't say I've used it and I'm antique, some I just refuse to use so I keep control.....p3s range is only good for a 1km but some can be worse or better (luck of the draw on your drone)some fly great distance with no modified remote and some go couple hundred feet like mine at new,,it also seems sometimes things go wrong and it's off on its own trip,for this reason with all my drones I not use this feature,,,in saying that sometimes it works great from reading about it but does work with good gps so if signal not the best I would not use this featureView attachment 112192
I see what you are saying,appreciate it. However,since I'm the only one in the neighbourhood with drone 'skills'.and I really really want to shoot some videos including me driving a electric scooter through my small village and the drone following me from the air,I am willing to take a risk. Do you believe the RTH mode would work if the drone 'went on his own path' in the follow me mode?

Can I come live with you? LOL

'Follow Me' actually follows your phone/tablet, not 'you'.

How accurate/dependable it is depends on the quality, accuracy, and strength of the GPS receiver in the mobile device - which varies widely from phone to phone and tablet to tablet. Also there are sometimes unforeseen obstacles like elevation changes and unaccounted for trees towers etc.

I've never tried it and never plan to... I've read too many horror stories here about lost drones and just don't trust it.

And besides, I'm not so narcissistic that I feel the need to use it.
Yeah,I am aware of that,until they start putting chips under our skins,it will have to rely on the GPS :) Did you happen to come across,among those stories,if the RTH works if the drone goes away?
Its not a narcissism thing in my case,I find that feature really exciting with a lot to offer

Reactions: umanbean
Mate I would love to say rth work ok ,,you would have to check your settings because your moving you not want drone to return to home unless you are there,,I think it got rth,,hover and something else but can't remember without doing a search,,I think other one is return to remote position or something like that...................na it' don't have one to follow remote but I presume it does this anyway will in this mode but not 100%sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate I would love to say rth work ok ,,you would have to check your settings because your moving you not want drone to return to home unless you are there,,I think it got rth,,hover and something else but can't remember without doing a search,,I think other one is return to remote position or something like that...................na it' don't have one to follow remote but I presume it does this anyway will in this mode but not 100%sure
Got it,thanks a lot!

Yeah,I am aware of that,until they start putting chips under our skins,it will have to rely on the GPS :) Did you happen to come across,among those stories,if the RTH works if the drone goes away?
Its not a narcissism thing in my case,I find that feature really exciting with a lot to offer
Have you looked into an alternative flight app called Litchi? I've only used it for manual flying, Orbit, and pre-programmed autonomous waypoint missions, but it has a feature called Track which, according to their website, uses 'advanced algorithms' to use the camera image to track moving objects instead of GPS. To find out more, you can do a site search here for the word 'litchi' and go to their website flylitchi.com

And - If you launch your drone, start follow me mode and ride off on a scooter do you really want RTH to return it to the launch point? Of course, there are other RTH options but, IMO, you really need to have experience and know what you're doing to use them.

I didn't intend to infer that you were narcissistic, I just meant that I'm not of the selfie generation...

Have you looked into an alternative flight app called Litchi? I've only used it for manual flying, Orbit, and pre-programmed autonomous waypoint missions, but it has a feature called Track which, according to their website, uses 'advanced algorithms' to use the camera image to track moving objects instead of GPS. To find out more, you can do a site search here for the word 'litchi' and go to their website flylitchi.com

And - If you launch your drone, start follow me mode and ride off on a scooter do you really want RTH to return it to the launch point? Of course, there are other RTH options but you really need to have experience and know what you're doing to use them.

I didn't intend to infer that you were narcissistic, I just meant that I'm not of the selfie generation...
Well ofc I dont want it to return to the launch point,but if I lose control of the drone,I cant think of a better option.
I havent looked into Litchi,I will check it out today,thanks a lot!

Well ofc I dont want it to return to the launch point,but if I lose control of the drone,I cant think of a better option.
I havent looked into Litchi,I will check it out today,thanks a lot!
It's not that you 'lose control', once you start follow me mode you are no longer in direct control of the drone until you cancel it by switching it out of F mode and back into P mode (or A). By then, if something doesn't go right, it may already have a mind of its own.

I'll have to catch you later... do your research, get some experience manually flying your drone before you start using autonomous modes, read the manual several times, and be careful out there

Since I plan on using a follow me mode a lot
Follow-me is pretty old-tech in the world of drones.
These days for drones with enough on-board processing power, it's been replaced by Active Track.
Google DJI active track to see some demos
And the return to home feature is very reliable.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic