London from a bird's eye view! (video shot on P4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what if I told you we all know this... we just don't care? sorry, it's just getting old.... we all know the rules, if you see something posted where we are breaking them, carry on... we don't need to be constantly lectured. sorry, it's just like this in nearly EVERY thread on this forum.

No. Apparently you do need to be lectured. The rules aren't there for laughs. There exist for a reason. Mostly to prosecute people who think the rules aren't for them. Sadly, when these same people decide it's OK to do these things without following the right steps, we all suffer.

So, we're telling you. And we will continue to do so until you stop.

Wow brother very nice video . Love all the fast and slow motion. What program did you use to edit. Great job

Thank you bigstalkts! [emoji4] Just iMovie. If you take lots of video in different places though I'd recommend looking into FCP X as iMovie just isn't the best when it comes to organizing files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ObiDon
People, animals, vehicles.. it's unavoidable if we want those bad *** shots! [emoji6]

So, when someone on Youtube sees your video and reports you to the CAA, you're cool with that? You just care about "bad *** shots" and prosecution doesn't worry you?

So, when someone on Youtube sees your video and reports you to the CAA, you're cool with that? You just care about "bad *** shots" and prosecution doesn't worry you?
Haha let's just say I've got connections [emoji6]

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a short video I shot around Westminster with my P4 last week :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Paul

congrats bro!
you made it to the news...
Drone pilot 'breaks every rule in the book' by filming above London

you broke every rule in the book with incredible video footage, god i love those headlines...

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 10.25.51.png

I hate to say it, but this kid is probably the type to screw up big time and cause trouble for the rest of us. Yeah, they're stunning shots. But at what cost? Having an article written about how you broke every rule on the books? I know, you obviously don't give a **** and you say you're tired of people lecturing you. Maybe if you acted like a mature adult vs an entitled little turd you wouldn't have this issue. I, along with millions of others, feel that some of these rules are bogus or overreaching. But if you want rules changed, work within the system to get that done. Flaunting the rules in their faces serves nothing but to piss them off. You're in England. I'm in the U.S. Why is this relevant to me?? Because droning is becoming a worldwide hobby, business and issue. When you screw up in London because you're too good to follow the rules, TRUST ME, they will use that against us to make the rules stiffer here. You being an entitled, rule breaking little *** affects us all. Keep saying all you want that you're tied of hearing the criticism. Its not going to stop. I hope they DO CHARGE YOU WITH A CRIME. And as for the guy who just got fined over £1,000 for breaking the rules, I would have a HUGE issue with you if I were him. You saying you have connections only goes further to prove your sense of entitlement. Plain and simple. Grow up son, before you ruin this for the rest of us, or even worse, hurt someone.

And much to everyone's surprise (not), the video is gone. The sooner everyone gets on board with the rules and follows them, the sooner people can make compelling videos without getting in trouble.

Yeah, it was removed. But a bit too late. I know this kid thinks he has connections and he's too good to follow the rules, but he better stand by. I HIGHLY doubt that his little stunt will garner this kind of publicity without the authorities catching on and formally charging him. I can't wait to find out how much he's going to pay in fines. Time to sell that fancy new P4 buddy...

Whilst we all want to capture great video, rules are there for a reason. Stunts like this carried out by the minority ultimately spoil it for the majority. The actions of the OP are inexcusable and show a complete disregard for any rules and the safety of others, the bloke who flew in Hyde Park got a fine of £1000, I can see this being considerably worse.
We can only hope it doesn't have a knock on effect and result in even tighter restrictions for those of us that do abide by the rules.

Last edited:
Removing the video now is of course too late, the Standard will have kept a copy as have many other people.

I doubt there will be any changes in the restrictions, this just gives them a solid case to demonstrate that the rules do have teeth.

Including images of the pilot in the video just make it all that much easier...

I've actually checked the DJI No Fly zones website and could only find airports and stadiums on there. What's a warning zone? Thanks for looking it up!

Basically don't fly there!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And much to everyone's surprise (not), the video is gone. The sooner everyone gets on board with the rules and follows them, the sooner people can make compelling videos without getting in trouble.

just curious... how compelling a video are you expecting from flying 400 ft up and in boring locations? I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, just curious as to what other people actually think are cool videos. I see so many boring ones.... taking up so much space on youtube for literally 1 person's enjoyment, the uploader. I wish the OP good luck.

I shoot urban landscapes all the time and I follow the rules. I coordinate with law enforcement, local airports, heliport operators, hospitals, private locations, etc. I have spotters with radios. I shoot at 6am on weekends. The list goes on. It takes a lot of work. And some places I just don't fly because couldn't get it to work out.

Reactions: pomonabill220
I shoot urban landscapes all the time and I follow the rules. I coordinate with law enforcement, local airports, heliport operators, hospitals, private locations, etc. I have spotters with radios. I shoot at 6am on weekends. The list goes on. It takes a lot of work.

that still doesn't mean you're making a compelling video... sorry. i understand it is a lot of work and I commend you for doing it the right way. Are these people you're coordinating with allow you to fly within 150m of buildings or structures? again, just curious!

that still doesn't mean you're making a compelling video... sorry. i understand it is a lot of work and I commend you for doing it the right way. Are these people you're coordinating with allow you to fly within 150m of buildings or structures? again, just curious!

The FAA requires you stay away from airports, air traffic and crowds when shooting as an amateur. They don't require you maintain 150m from buildings or structures. Many states and cities have their own restrictions but most of the time, using common sense goes a long way. As for compelling, judge for yourself:

The FAA requires you stay away from airports, air traffic and crowds when shooting as an amateur. They don't require you maintain 150m from buildings or structures. Many states and cities have their own restrictions but most of the time, using common sense goes a long way. As for compelling, judge for yourself:

it's awesome... I just don't get what is so different when you compare his shots to yours? you're flying over people, and roadways... I guess I just don't understand.

Nice video bro, that's my city right there! [emoji5][emoji1319]

I appreciate the support! Did not expect BBC and all other major news outlets banging on my door and inbox haha

it's awesome... I just don't get what is so different when you compare his shots to yours? you're flying over people, and roadways... I guess I just don't understand.

The difference is night and day for the reasons I just mentioned. I am not flying over people except for where they have been informed that there is a drone overhead and even then, it is a very small number. That's why I fly at first light. And I have spotters on the ground. I consult with police, FAA, and other local authorities. There are numerous precautions in place.

And given it's two different countries, with different rules, it's not exactly the same. I will be shooting London at some point this summer and it will all be legit. I am already working on the planning now.

Reactions: Heathrow Terminal 2
The difference is night and day for the reasons I just mentioned. I am not flying over people except for where they have been informed that there is a drone overhead and even then, it is a very small number. That's why I fly at first light. And I have spotters on the ground. I consult with police, FAA, and other local authorities. There are numerous precautions in place.

And given it's two different countries, with different rules, it's not exactly the same. I will be shooting London at some point this summer and it will all be legit. I am already working on the planning now.

so the guy with the dog walking was informed that there would be a drone above him? I hear everything you're saying I just think it is silly to post a video where you say you did nothing wrong. The video is open to interpretation and people can argue you in fact broke regulations too.

Reactions: ObiDon and PaulJohn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic