Log analysis help: Won't fly straight

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I know this has been discussed before under the topic of crabbing and I don't know if there was ever a definitive answer. I would like to ask the expert log analysts on here to take a fresh look at this by checking out my verbose log of a very short test flight where my P4P will not fly straight forward. Oddly enough, it seems to fly straight backwards. And I think it flies straight sideways although I haven't run exhaustive tests. But when I try to fly forward, it wants to skid off to the right so I have to aim the thing maybe 10 degrees or so to port to get it to fly straight away from me. I can't be 100% sure that it happens every time. And I noticed that when I fly it forward and it's skidding off to the side, when I let go of the stick, it drifts off to the right by a decent amount before coming to a relatively stable hover.

There is a bit of a long story that I won't go into but this is a new replacement aircraft from DJI. However I first noticed this problem on my old aircraft before sending it to them. So I don't think it's the aircraft. I almost wonder if it could be the controller.

I have calibrated everything: Compass (a few times), IMU, OA, and the controller sticks. The attached flight log link represents a brief flight that demonstrated it skidding off to the right as well as (I believe) flying backwards toward me in a straight fashion. I would appreciate any insight you can provide. (One thing I saw which I didn't like but don't know what it means is a "monitor error" under one of the IMU columns).

Thanks again
Bill

Edit 1: I received FAA authorization to fly in that Class E airspace :)
Edit 2: I also had downgraded firmware to 1.3.509 so I don't see it as a firmware issue.
Edit 3: The "Monitor Error" appears to be a red herring. I found that in logs dating back to last year.
Edit 4: I just reviewed some video and I think that it sometimes wants to slide left. In particular I think when moving forward but heading in the other direction. In other words, when heading North, it wants to slide right. When heading South, it wants to slide left. This is not represented in this log file however. I saw that in a flight just before this.

Last edited:
didnt look at the log not good at that but most people dont realize they are making the drone fly to side with small stick signals

no offense

no offense
No offense taken. I know everyone says “not me” ;) but it’s definitely not me.

This has been such a pain that I’ve focused quite a bit on ensuring I’m not pushing the stick the wrong way. In fact I have also had to apply quite a bit of counter stick (aileron?) just to try and compensate. So my attention to my sticking is quite high. Also, @msinger ‘s logfile tool shows the stick position as you scrub through the flight.

Reactions: JoBe
V1 or V2? With screen or without remote? Just wondering about the availability of borrowing another remote to eliminate that.

V1 or V2? With screen or without remote? Just wondering about the availability of borrowing another remote to eliminate that.
Thanks for responding.

It’s a V1. Not a plus model so I’m using a separate display screen. I could possibly ask someone to borrow a remote. Once the lockdown ends. :). But the log file analysis tool does show stick position and it’s not registering any sideways stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers