Location Question

Reaction score
So I live in Alaska and just about everyone has an airport in their yard. There are something like 31 that show up in Airmap and B4UFly. Most of them are a mile or further from my house. If I'm wanting to fly my drone just in my yard around tree top level I really need to call every single one listed for recreational drone flying? Some are lakes, some are yards, some are fields that several homes use.

Difficult question to answer. Maybe they can call you? "Hey Joe, you flyin' today?" If not, they can fly.

I think in your yard is within reason. Technically it may be bending the restrictions, but I think it would take a pilot to complain.

And agreement can be made in advance in lieu of a phone call before each flight.

You might consider mailing a form letter to the 31 airports and explain you'd like to fly occasionally at your property at tree-top level and would any of them prefer a phone call beforehand?

Just an idea...

Good luck.

@Joe650 first welcome to the forum.

If you're going to follow the rules laid out by the FAA you don't have much of an option. You must attempt to notify each one. Odds are once you explain what you're doing and such they might verbally tell you to fly safely and don't call back. If that happens be sure to document their name and details of the conversation.

Keep in mind that odds are you're flying a UAS/Drone that can autonomously fly (due to pilot error or mechanical error) far and high without your input. This puts the potential for your aircraft to fly well above tree-line and in any direction a very possible situation.

Just because you only "intend" to fly below tree-top level has no bearing if your aircraft has the ability to fly high and far on it's on.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Thanks, so all I need to do is notify. It's not like they can say "sorry but you can't fly your drone". If they are flying I just have to take that into consideration and make sure I don't interfere with them.

Thanks, so all I need to do is notify. It's not like they can say "sorry but you can't fly your drone". If they are flying I just have to take that into consideration and make sure I don't interfere with them.

They can deny your flight and what you do then is up to you. Remember their first duty is to ensure National Airspace System safety. If they determine your flight "could" jeopardize that then yes they will tell you to not fly. If you happen to go ahead and fly anyway you could get some company from LE. Odds are they wouldn't happen but I don't think I'd push my luck that way.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
They can deny your flight and what you do then is up to you. Remember their first duty is to ensure National Airspace System safety. If they determine your flight "could" jeopardize that then yes they will tell you to not fly. If you happen to go ahead and fly anyway you could get some company from LE. Odds are they wouldn't happen but I don't think I'd push my luck that way.

I am pretty sure the FAA guideline requires you to NOTIFY. You do not have to get permission, nor can they deny you (as I understand the guidelines). I could be wrong, but that is what I have been led to believe by all the studying I have done.

I am pretty sure the FAA guideline requires you to NOTIFY. You do not have to get permission, nor can they deny you (as I understand the guidelines). I could be wrong, but that is what I have been led to believe by all the studying I have done.

If you'll read my previous comment I actually stated:

.....You must attempt to notify each one.

I may have used the wrong phrase.... They can't flat out tell you that you can NOT fly but they can tell you that your flight causes a safety risk. You can bet your bottom dollar if you opt to fly anyway and your flight poses a safety risk it will at least be "documented". If it causes a disruption of manned flight service or an incident you will be getting a visit from a couple of different agencies (local and/or Federal).

I see this as similar to the 400' rule. Some say there's no law against it, and technically that's true, but they can come after you anyway for endangering the safety of the NAS.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl