Llilliput 7" 664/W fvp monitor for my phantom 2 setup ???

Re: Llilliput 7" 664/W fvp monitor for my phantom 2 setup ??

I just got an Immersion 5.8 600mw vtx to go with my Lilliput 664w monitor. Then I found this forum while researching my scrolling, snowy, all around terrible image on the monitor. From what I gather the receiver in the Lilliput 664 is total junk, and especially when paired with the Immersion 600mw tx. One solution being to buy an Uno receiver (and I guess somehow mount it to the monitor?) Has anyone had success with this combination? It looks as though the Uno doesn't come with antennas, am I missing something?
This noob would appreciate any help.

I am right there behind you. Bought the 664/W, and actually have had decent luck on range with the SpiroNet antenna, and a $20 patch antenna (search my other posts for that). But I have read about others very long range reception with the Uno, and am planning on getting one of those. I looked at GetFPV's web site on it, and it shows to AV out ports. Hoping if it's reception is good I can drive my Fatshark Attitude SD and Lilliput 664/W simultaneously. Search for the 6km flight post and he specifies the two antennas he uses. Yes, the Uno comes with no antennas, nor battery. Planning on using Velcro to put receiver, battery, and hopefully DVR on back of 664. With that much weight, it will go on tripod stand, rather than affixed to my Futaba.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly,
Can I ask why you used a patch antenna instead of the spironet on the monitor. Also, were you using the 600mw tx with that?
Why put the 2" extension on?
So much to learn...

I have the 665 model, and found the lilliput receiver crappy! Bad reception, strange behaviour among channels. So i got rid of it and installed an RC805 receiver. Day and night!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 538

fauxtoejoe said:
I just got an Immersion 5.8 600mw vtx to go with my Lilliput 664w monitor. Then I found this forum while researching my scrolling, snowy, all around terrible image on the monitor. From what I gather the receiver in the Lilliput 664 is total junk, and especially when paired with the Immersion 600mw tx. One solution being to buy an Uno receiver (and I guess somehow mount it to the monitor?) Has anyone had success with this combination? It looks as though the Uno doesn't come with antennas, am I missing something?
This noob would appreciate any help.
That's my problem, too, however, the Immersion 5.8 is worse with the Lilliput than the Fat Shark 250 mw. I have both, and the Immersion barely works, while the Fat Shark works at low range with the Lilliput 664 (and you are right, the reception sucks).

fauxtoejoe said:
Thanks Kelly,
Can I ask why you used a patch antenna instead of the spironet on the monitor. Also, were you using the 600mw tx with that?
Why put the 2" extension on?
So much to learn...

Agree on the continuous learning! On the 664, stock whip gave me less than 500m before snowstorm.
switching to SpiroNet gave me over 1000M. Then someone suggested the $20 patch with 2" extender, which is flexible and allows easy directional adjustment while flying . With the right orientation, it gets usable image over 2000m. I am hopeful Uno with two different antennae will be the 3km+ solution. Stay tuned!

I'm starting to feel like the Lilliput is probably not the best bang for the buck because of the receiver. I'm really trying to find reasons to go with it. On the plus side, the newest version is slimmer than the previous, the IPS screen is hard to beat, and all the connections including HDMI make it a great product. That being said, if their receiver is less than stellar, it hamstrings the entire FPV system. The price is already pretty high and if you have to add another receiver to it to get better range and picture, then it is a hard sell.

No question that in terms of dollars per km per usable FPV image, the Lilliput is not the value leader.
My sense -- based on all of a few months of reading and experimenting -- is that if total range and quality trump budget, that Lilliput with the Uno receiver, and a couple good antennae is probably the best overall FPV configuration. Though at a price.

Heavily asterisked by the fact that I am only a few months into this addictive hobby.

Kelly

Can anyone tell me if the Lilliput 7" 664/W can be used with any external receiver RX? I know that the 664/W is the ONLY LCD model they make with the NO BLUE SCREEN mode. However, from what all you are all saying, the built in RX is nothing but trouble so, I'd like to get my own TX/RX combo going.

See my post just now on the other thread. 664 is a great screen, and with a $20 patch antenna and IRC 250mW TX i can get 1km clarity. With the Duo and two good antennas, i can see 3km to 4km with good visibility on the screen+hood in bright sunlight.

Kelly

teknoel said:
Can anyone tell me if the Lilliput 7" 664/W can be used with any external receiver RX? I know that the 664/W is the ONLY LCD model they make with the NO BLUE SCREEN mode. However, from what all you are all saying, the built in RX is nothing but trouble so, I'd like to get my own TX/RX combo going.
+1: The built-in receiver is basically garbage- in my own experience. Love the screen, though. I am using mine with the ImmersionRC 600mw Rx with good results.

wkf94025,

I had a hunt for the other thread you were referring to but couldn't find it (perhaps you can point me in the right direction?).

Otherwise would you mind letting me know which patch antenna you used? I have the Immersion Spironets, on a 664w and a FatShark 250mw combo and I'm getting rubbish distance. If it is simply the case of switching antennas to get up to 1km of distance that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for your help

Simon

molasis said:
wkf94025,

I had a hunt for the other thread you were referring to but couldn't find it (perhaps you can point me in the right direction?).

Otherwise would you mind letting me know which patch antenna you used? I have the Immersion Spironets, on a 664w and a FatShark 250mw combo and I'm getting rubbish distance. If it is simply the case of switching antennas to get up to 1km of distance that would be fantastic.

Simon
I used that exact combination, after reading that people got great use from the spironets, but found the stock antennae worked better for me.

molasis said:
wkf94025,

Simon

Simon,

here is a cut & paste of my various posts re my growing FPV toy box:

Three antennas in my quiver:
1) IBCrazy 5.8GHz 9.5dbic Helical antenna from getfpv.com ("long distance gun")
2) 5.8GHz Circular Polarized Patch Antenna, +5dBi (SMA). Antenna is $20 at dpcav.com. ("good all around")
3) SpiroNet CP’s, one on the Phantom and spares for ground equipment that doesn’t get the Helical or patch. ("nearby Omni-directional")
I also bought two antenna extensions from dpcav.com: "SMA to SMA Extension Cable, RG-402 Coax (BlueBeam Extension)", part #CESS402-050. $9. I use one to put the patch antenna on the Duo receiver, Lilliput screen, or Fatshark goggles, and one to extend the video Tx on the P2. I purchased the ImmersionRC Duo receiver, and usually put the helical and patch on its two antenna connections, and with its two AV out connects I drive some combination of Fatshark goggles, Lilliput screen, and Lumenier DVR box. All three devices have different cabling requirements, and only the Fatshark is an out-of-the-box cable. I had to solder up the Lilliput cable and DVR cable. GetFPV please take notice and provide an out-of-the-box cable for each.

If I was on a tight budget, I would get the Fatshark goggles, two 2” extensions, the SpiroNet CP for the air end, and the $20 patch antenna with extension on the goggles. Plan to do the Stevie Wonder thing while flying, optimizing antenna orientation toward aircraft.

Having Duo receiver and DVR “black box” is just plain fun. Don’t tell my wife they cost almost $500 combined.

Kelly

Kelly,

Thanks so much for that information, I'm going to order that stuff shortly and see how I get on.

I'm hoping to not have to move to an external rx like the Immersion Duo as I'm 'aiming' to be as light as possible (and I would then have to power the Immersion rx separately as I don't believe the Lilliput has a power out). I'm not currently going the Fatshark route as I already have the Lilliput and want to get that working first.

If I don't have an external rx, will I get reasonable performance (about 800-1000m, don't need any further) from the patch antenna (and extension) attached to the Lilliput and the Spironet CP (and extension) attached to the Fatshark 250mw tx on the Phantom?

So far I'm LOVING everything else about this hobby, but this video stuff is doing my head in as currently I get no more than about 80m LOS.

Simon

Simon,

I think your proposed configuration (Lilliput + 2" extension + patch) should give you a good setup with far better range and quality than youre currently getting. Caveat: I have never had a problem with VTx / VRx frequencies, so that's the only other possible issue you might need to research/address with your gear.

i use old P1 LiPo's with cutom soldered connectors to power Duo and Lilliput. my base config isn't light or portable. Goggles with extension and patch, or goggles with helical are light, portable, long range.

Kelly

I agree. The antenna makes all the difference in this case. I am using a 10dBic 5 turn helical that is surprisingly omnidirectional. The 664w with the helical antenna beats the Immersion Uno with a IBCrazy Mad Mushroom at close range (<500m) in noisy environments (urban) and has only slightly less range over long distance (rural).

Kelly,

As it turns out shipping to get to the UK is a bit extortionate, so I've ordered what I presume is a very similar patch antenna from Team Black Sheep (who license IBCrazy's 5dbi patch antenna) from a stockist in the UK: http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/tbs-patch-antenna-58ghz-5dbi-1299-p.asp

It is an RP-SMA connector on the antenna, so I need an adapter to go from it to the SMA connector on the Lilliput (preferably with an extension of 5-10cm built in). I cannot for the life of me work out though which I'm supposed to get.. male/female rp-sma to male/female sma?

I've attached a photo in the hope that someone here might be able to tell me what I need to buy?
2014_06_18_18_16_32.jpg

Thanks again for all your help. I will certainly post back my results.

Regards

Simon

I think it is RP-SMA male to SMA female but I am not certain. You could just find a suitable thickness solid copper wire and cut it to fit. The center wire from a coaxial cable for instance should work fine.

Simon,

I confess I am a rookie at the SMA / RP-SMA / male / female details of antennae. I would call/email TBS and/or the vendor you got the patch from, and seek their guidance.

What I like about the 2" extensions I bought is they have some stiffness yet flex, so whether supporting Spironet on Phantom, or patch on goggles or screen, the ability to bend the extension to optimize directionality is important and useful.

Kelly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20