Litchi

So today its my birthday .
I thought I might treat myself to the Litchi app for my P3S. However seems to be some negative reviews about it , so just wondering about it ,and would appreciate any recent opinions on the latest releases of the app .( good/bad points)
ALL I can say is that it definitely SEEMS to be subjective as I too was hesitant after many good and bad reviews, so; a few weeks ago, I paid the ludicrous AU$35, downloaded litchi and went flying; I loved the extra voice, but for some unknown reason, I noticed on my P3 STD, it climbed NOTICEABLY SLOWER AND could NOT get FOLLOW to work.
Ended up reinstalling DJI GO and luckily got a refund from Google.

WHY such a huge variant of users - I wish I knew.

Reactions: Jwebbe
Well litchi emailed me back again ( They have very responsive staff on email, I must say! ) and they suggested using the Beta -
I will give them the benefit and try it only because at this point, after spending $25.00 on a app that I can't use, it couldn't hurt.

Litchi 4.4: Beta - Litchi

I am not a computer person and i have litchi on one of there recommended tablets with dji app. They both work perfectly. No problems and what i like about litchi is the hub and the pre programming of missions i want to fly. Easy to tweak once onsite.

Thank you so much , and will do .
My refund request was actually a fair few hours more than two, and they did refund - they didn't notify me of it but three days later it was in my account.

Well litchi emailed me back again ( They have very responsive staff on email, I must say! ) and they suggested using the Beta -
I will give them the benefit and try it only because at this point, after spending $25.00 on a app that I can't use, it couldn't hurt.

Litchi 4.4: Beta - Litchi
So you're using it with a P3S also? - like myself & the original poster?

My refund request was actually a fair few hours more than two, and they did refund - they didn't notify me of it but three days later it was in my account.

I think thats fair - I may have waited too long ( a couple of weeks since download ) but the fact that my tablet is brand new ( no other drone apps ever installed on it ) and has very few things running as it is, has a processor that is well enough to be able to handle the app, should qualify - especially since I notified them of the errors and they even said that my Galaxy S3 tablet ( and the S2 ) were not yet tested to be able to verify if it works on it or not.

Yes, PS3 STANDARD - I've had my drone for almost 2 years now and have used the Samsung Galaxy S6 & S7 phone successfully with DJI GO

Reactions: smackc4
I think thats fair - I may have waited too long ( a couple of weeks since download ) but the fact that my tablet is brand new ( no other drone apps ever installed on it ) and has very few things running as it is, has a processor that is well enough to be able to handle the app, should qualify - especially since I notified them of the errors and they even said that my Galaxy S3 tablet ( and the S2 ) were not yet tested to be able to verify if it works on it or not.

Yes, PS3 STANDARD - I've had my drone for almost 2 years now and have used the Samsung Galaxy S6 & S7 phone successfully with DJI GO

I was using my Galaxy S4 and it works fine except the display is so unreadable especially with a typical days bright sun! - I bought a 7 inch cheap Lenovo pad which is brighter, but nowhere near perfect without sunshield! I tried to home-made one but wasn't any good... you may have a point about the processing power to, as it is only $100 pad. ( but has GPS which is why I bought it)

In my opinion the biggest flaw with litchi, is that somehow one-size-fits-all where is the GO app I believe is specifically written for pre and post P4 versions.

My Samsung S3 tablet was almost $500.00, not the cheap ones! No reason it doesn't have enough horsepower. LOL

It has an upgraded 64 gig memory as well

Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 820
Speed 2.1 GHz
Storage / Memory
Memory RAM 4.0 GB
Memory ROM 32.0 GB
Memory
4 GB
Storage
32 GB
MicroSD 256.0 GB max + MicroSD 2.0 compatible
Display / Screen
Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors | 264 ppi
Resolution 1536 x 2048 pixels
Display Size 9.70 inches

The instructions on the post #20, are incorrect.
"Put the tablet in place and hook the cable from the RC to the tablet"
Did you tell them you had a Standard?

Rod

The instructions on the post #20, are incorrect.
"Put the tablet in place and hook the cable from the RC to the tablet"
Did you tell them you had a Standard?

Rod

Yes I realized that and I replied back to them and they posted this - I just haven't had a chance to update the previous :)

FEB 01, 2018 | 10:27AM UTC
Litchi replied:

Hi,

For drones with a Wi-Fi connection (Phantom 3 Standard, Phantom 3 4K, Spark), follow these steps:
1- Make sure no DJI-based apps (including DJI Go, Litchi and other third party DJI drone/osmo apps) are running in the background. If there are any, force kill them
2- Force close all DJI-based apps (including DJI Go and other third party DJI drone/osmo apps). Please note step 1 is not enough. To force close an app, go to your mobile device Settings – Apps – DJI Go (or other app name) – Force close
3- Start your aircraft and remote controller if you are using one, and let them initialize for a few seconds
4- Connect to the Wi-Fi network of the aircraft
5- Start Litchi

Kind Regards,
Litchi

You might try putting the phone or tablet in airplane mode,which turns off the wifi, then manually turning on the Wi-Fi and making your connections and then starting the app in airplane mode.

Happy birthday dude. Def get the litchi app. I spend most of my time on it. It gives constant verbal updates on all your data like speed, distance, height, etc.... Plus if your on Google you have a 2 hour refund window after purchase. Also download litchi hub on your computer. ... Play with that first so you get an idea on how to set missions. Then you can syn it with the app and vice versa
Thank for the info. I didn't know about litchi hub. I also recently downloaded the app. And so far you are absolutely correct it does exactly what you tell it to do. I was playing with the radius function and did not properly set my height. Fortunately when trying new functions I always keep my fingers on the stick for immediate control. But all in all it's been great so far.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Litchi is a great app if you are wanting to do waypoint missions and has been well tested by a huge number of users.
I wouldn't be at all concerned by negative reviews.
The DJI Go app also gets poor reviews and it's also a great program.
The negative reviews come from people that can't/don't read instructions or blame the app because they misused it.
The negative reviews don't match my experience with the program at all.
Ditto. I like both of them.

Reactions: Scuba Skip
I have been flying Litchi since November 2016 and love it! I gave up on DJI after it kept crashing and after the others posting here about their problems. Might nite that I have never been alerted that I must upgrade to new firmware or software.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Well here's the thing I have noticed between the two:

DJI Go -
Pros - stable, always connects,
Cons - even at the highest video settings, the video seems a bit pixelated and shaky

Litchi - takes about 3 tries ( shutting down, force stopping, etc ) to get it to work. When it is working, it seems fine.
The video resolution is EXCELLENT.

Here are 2 videos I shot - see for yourself on the comparison even when set at similar settings:

Litchi - flying with friend who has a Mavic pro - I am flying my P3 standard

DJI Go -

I fly my P3A with Litchi almost exclusively. I really like the ability to design a mission on my PC or tablet or phone, anywhere, anytime. My favorite way to use Litchi is to have the bird do the driving (waypoints with path, speed, curves, altitude prescribed) and I control the camera (yaw stick for panning and gimbal wheel for tilt). To me this simulates a "two man crew" where one operator drives and the other shoots. Settings are... "heading mode: manual" and "default gimbal pitch mode: disabled.

Here's a little video I shot recently using those settings. It's a simple mission but there's no way I could have done it manually.

BTW for missions that involve flying over hilly/mountainous area I use google earth to create the path, then import and tweak it in litchi. This prevents me from programming the thing into the side of a hill. It's a "next step" after you are comfortable with setting up missions generally. Here's a fully autonomous mission (using waypoints and Points of Interest) with a 1200 foot range of altitudes - but always 150 feet off the ground.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT