Litchi vs Autopilot

That's what I do, I also have a jetpack too if I remember to have it. One thing I did discover is the fallow me mode on DJI Go won't work using the WIFI iPad even connected to my phone

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Another question, with regards programming flight plans. When setting the altitude of the aircraft, is the altitude set relevant to sea level or to the ground level where the aircraft takes off? I am just wondering how people judge what altitude to fly at, in order to avoid obstacles. I want to try flying my bird over a lake and would hate to set the altitude incorrectly, only to find that my bird turns into a submarine!

Another question, with regards programming flight plans. When setting the altitude of the aircraft, is the altitude set relevant to sea level or to the ground level where the aircraft takes off? I am just wondering how people judge what altitude to fly at, in order to avoid obstacles. I want to try flying my bird over a lake and would hate to set the altitude incorrectly, only to find that my bird turns into a submarine!
You can plot a path in google earth and import to litchi mission hub. This will give you relative altitudes and help you plan.

Reactions: Cadbob
Hi, does anyone know how to cache maps for Ipad Mini 2 Wifi for P3A? Google maps? Any tutorials, instructions or threads for this? I have the DJI Go app ( not Litchi...yet).

Last edited:
That won't get you GPS though, just an internet connection so we're clear.
Installing the airspace app on the iPhone will allow autopilot to use the GPS position of the phone, the added benefit is that the altitude data from the barometer is also available which is very handy for following the device over terrain where the height varies.

With regards to Litchi, since I'm new to it is there a way to cancel RTH on low battery? Was flying maybe 50 yards away so there was really no need for RTH when it kicked in

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi, does anyone know how to cache maps for Ipad Mini 2 Wifi for P3A? Google maps? Any tutorials, instructions or threads for this? I have the DJI Go app ( not Litchi...yet).
Map caching is done via the app. It doesn't matter what device (Ipad,etc.) or aircraft is involved. In the General Settings (assuming you're using DJI Go), scroll down to "Cache Map in the Background" and make sure that switch is turned on. With your Ipad mini connected to WiFi (such as your home WiFi), move the map to where you'll be flying. Zoom in and move around for more detail. When you're done, close the app. Sometimes however, when I'm in the field, the map won't show. If I'm using Litchi, it ALWAYS shows (I use an Ipad mini 2 with no cellular service).

Reactions: Matrix
Both apps are great, can't go wrong with either one. I am an experienced user of AP, I love the features. AP has more really neat features however the learning curve is more steep.

You are going to find A lot of Phantom Pilots that like Litchi.

Map caching is done via the app. It doesn't matter what device (Ipad,etc.) or aircraft is involved. In the General Settings (assuming you're using DJI Go), scroll down to "Cache Map in the Background" and make sure that switch is turned on. With your Ipad mini connected to WiFi (such as your home WiFi), move the map to where you'll be flying. Zoom in and move around for more detail. When you're done, close the app. Sometimes however, when I'm in the field, the map won't show. If I'm using Litchi, it ALWAYS shows (I use an Ipad mini 2 with no cellular service).

Thanks for the info and help Pharm. Litchi seems like a good option. When you are in the field with a cached map (no wifi gps), do you manually set your location or does the app detect the location? Does waypoints work without a map?

Thanks for the info and help Pharm. Litchi seems like a good option. When you are in the field with a cached map (no wifi gps), do you manually set your location or does the app detect the location? Does waypoints work without a map?
The GPS of the drone sets the location on the map. Waypoints will work without a map but it's not feasible if you're trying to set up the mission without one (you won't be able to see where you're placing your waypoints). I always plan my missions at home and store them on the mini. That way, when I arrive on location, the map is cached, the mission is planned and I can make adjustments onsite as needed.

The GPS of the drone sets the location on the map. Waypoints will work without a map but it's not feasible if you're trying to set up the mission without one (you won't be able to see where you're placing your waypoints). I always plan my missions at home and store them on the mini. That way, when I arrive on location, the map is cached, the mission is planned and I can make adjustments onsite as needed.

Thanks again Pharm :)

Question about autopilot, I currently use litchi. With litchi waypoint mode, I fly to position and aim the camera/gimbal then set the waypoint. I can clearly SEE the focus point of the camera at each WP. Do this several times and create a flight, then let litchi smoothly fly that mission. Does Autopilot have the same capability, and what is it called? I have watched some of the AP videos but did not see this method of building a mission. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For the cost a WiFi hotspot is a great thing t have and not just for flying

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers