Litchi trumps DJI Intelligent Flight Mode by a lot!

Reaction score
I know a lot of us were wondering what would become of the hard work laid down by 3 rd party dev's when DJI finally released the IFM features such as Follow Me, Orbit and Waypoints. Well now we know! I predict they'll receive EVEN MORE business now that we've seen DJI's implementation.

For starters, with Litchi (on previous SDK, not current release yet but he's working on that right now) you can start all modes from the ground. Most annoying about DJI's implementation is that you have to get the bird in the air and then start selecting options--waste of battery, other risks associated. Possibly even more compelling, however, is options available in Litchi are many times more robust for all modes.

Whaaaat!? I have to fly over my the subject to designate it as POI, fly to the viewpoint, and manually set focus!? I have to manually fly over desired WP's beforehand to set them!? Not so with Litchi and I suspect the other 3 rd party apps out there. The only reason I can think of that DJI is holding back mapping of waypoints and the rest is because there app is designed for the masses and it's likely a good deal safer to force the user to manually fly the bird to all positions rather than estimate and crash in the process. Well they could implement an Advanced and Beginner Mode of the features then if that's the case. I'm loving the auto-gimbal feature allowing the bird to keep focus on subject as well as super customizable C1 and C2 buttons determined by which mode you are presently in.

Way to many positives to mention and I would most definitely forget a few so I'm copynig and pasting a mostly up-to-date feature set as listed by one of the testers (hopefully he won't mind). Additionally, the developer, VC Tech, is constantly adding new features/fixing buts and updating the alpha/beta apps weekly if not sooner:

Litchi (for Android) Feature List (Phantom 2*, Phantom 3 and Inspire 1)

FPV
  1. Fly and view aircraft on map and view near real-time video using Hardware Decoding.
  2. Ability to fly in Home Lock or Course Lock
  3. Optional VR mode with head motion detection including during automated flight
  4. Dynamic home point.
  5. Ability to manually set homepoint
  6. Manual channel selection including all 32 channels (without hack)

Follow
  1. Follow and watch a Subject with Automatic Gimbal Pitch
  2. Subject can be:
    1. the Remote Control with mobile device attached
    2. a second mobile device using Litchi Magic Leash
    3. a pin on the map
  3. Ability to move the aircraft during a Follow session to better position the subject or background, or to avoid obstacles.
  4. Two heading modes: Course Heading ie "Smart Heading" and North Heading.
  5. Ability to set an offset from the Subject to watch.
  6. Ability to use Custom Buttons to quickly set Follow parameters from the location of the aircraft and remote control.
  7. Allows Follow speeds up to 15m/s (54kph;33.5 mph)**

Orbit
  1. Set a POI at any altitude and orbit the POI at pre-defined distance and altitude. Supports two methods to define the Orbit's parameters:
    1. Set the POI and radius (including altitudes) from the current location of the aircraft.
    2. Define the POI and radius using a map and setting altitudes manually.
  2. View POI and Orbit's path on the map.
  3. Automatic or manual Gimbal Pitch control to keep the POI in focus.
  4. Save and load Orbit parameters.
  5. Change altitude, Orbit radius, and speed during the execution of the Orbit.
  6. Ability to use Custom Buttons to quickly set Orbit parameters from the location of the aircraft.

Groundstation
  1. Predefine and save waypoints, and POIs, and mission parameters and view the mission on a map.
  2. Ability to specify mission heading
    1. Toward Next Waypoint
    2. Initial Direction
    3. User Controlled
    4. Waypoint Defined
  3. Allows multiple POIs in a single mission where nearest waypoints' headings and gimbal pitch focus on the POI.
  4. Create waypoints on-the-fly based on the aircraft's current Lat/long, altitude, heading, and gimbal pitch.
  5. Create POIs on-the-fly based on the aircraft's current Lat/long, altitude.
  6. Specify and fly Curved Turns at Waypoints
    1. Ability to specify Curved Turn distance and view the Turn on the map.
    2. Ability to default to Curved Turn distances.
  7. Specify Actions at Waypoints for non Curved Turn Missions.
    1. Stay
    2. Take Photo
    3. Start Recording
    4. Stop Recording
    5. Rotate Aircraft
    6. Tilt Camera
  8. Automatic Gimbal Pitch transitions between waypoints to keep focus on POIs or supplied waypoint Gimbal Pitch degrees. Manual gimbal adjustments also supported.
  9. Automatic Heading transitions between waypoints to keep focus on POIs or supplied waypoint heading.
  10. Set speed of the mission.
  11. Ability to reverse course during a mission.
  12. Ability to change speed during a mission.
  13. Automatic Panoramic Pre-set action at waypoint.
  14. Auto Takeoff can be turned on/off.
  15. Ability to use Custom Buttons to quickly define waypoints and POIs from the location of the aircraft.
  16. Allows 2 km distance between waypoints and up to 10 km total mission distance**
General
  1. Support for Phantom 2, 3 and Inspire. Some features may not be available on Phantom 2.
  2. Multiple map modes
  3. Auto zoom for map
  4. Find My Aircraft
  5. Auto Record on takeoff
  6. Hardware or software decode
  7. Flight Logging in Flytrex format
  8. Dynamic Homepoint
  9. Auto Takeoff in GS can be turned on/off
  10. Speech
  11. Custom Buttons on remote control configured by function (FPV, Follow, Orbit, GS)
* Not all features may apply to Phantom 2
**Subject to change with new versions of the firmware.

Last edited:
Lickme. LOL

I am thinking as soon as everyone discovers how limited the DJI mission deal is they are going to be buying Litchi !

I cant believe there is no camera tilt in the missions.

Can you set home lock on a button on the radio and get it off the app in case it crashes?

Can you set home lock on a button on the radio and get it off the app in case it crashes?
Each flight mode can have 2 different custom functions, for the C1 (left) and C2 (right) custom keys located in the back of the remote controller.
Home Lock: Toggles Home Lock
Help - Litchi

IMO, DJI said they would have ground station. Instead we have a watered down version called waypoints. Not the same. DJI made a dedicated ground station app for the phantom 2. Why can't the P3 be added. I'd try lickme but I don't have android. I bet the boys whom bought an inspire and were promised these features are a bit pissed. Wasn't that since last January?

Reactions: huntjock
IMO, DJI said they would have ground station. Instead we have a watered down version called waypoints. Not the same. DJI made a dedicated ground station app for the phantom 2. Why can't the P3 be added. I'd try lickme but I don't have android. I bet the boys whom bought an inspire and were promised these features are a bit pissed. Wasn't that since last January?
what a letdown. knowing that 3rd party can make better program dji would need to step up the game for next firmware 1.5.01. 1.4.00010 such a let down. we dont know wether DJI is keeping all their secrets...we never know

Reactions: huntjock
I tested today............

POI is oke..............
WP's (restriction 500m why ???) and the rest is developped by amateurs

before I can even fly HALF my battery is GONE

I quite like the DJI approach to POI. Sure it lacks the advanced features such as focusing on the RC/tablet which I use a lot for circling around a moving object but the approach allows you to still fly the craft rather than have your nose in your tablet clicking on a map.

I have beta tested Autoflight Logic on iOS and love it, its well worth the money for the advanced options but I have to admit that when circling a stationary object I use the exact same approach as you have to do in the DJI GO app now using Autoflight Logic i.e. fly over object, select set POI with aircraft position, pull back, set radius with aircraft position, click engage. If you keep your nose in the map all day it actually reduced the fun of flying something like the Phantom 3.

The only benefit of the map with stationary objects if is the object is a something you should not fly over e.g. if I was to orbit a 14th century church spire in the UK I would not fly the Phantom anywhere near it. But then you are at the mercy of google maps or apple maps sateillte views if you want the perfect orbit.

I'm sure as far as DJI goes, there are huge safety and liability issues right now. I would imagine that they would rather have people grumble a bit than to face the pressure of more idiots doing idiotic things and putting life & limb in danger and it getting in the press. To me, the features are adequate and I'm sure there will be others which will surpass the GO app. I think even a pro photog would be able to use these features quite well even though they are not full blown "cinematic" quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevee

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl