Litchi Mission Flight Speed

Reaction score
Is their a 'Best Speed' to fly a mission? If I want to fly a 4 mile mission at what speed will the battery last longer? What speed do you plan your long range missions?

Just under max, I use 30 mph.
Read it somewhere here,
I just worry about battery getting to hot on hot days but so far all good.

Rod

With FPV I keep my speed as close to 50kph as I can in P mode to give me good distance vs battery life. In Litchi you can dial in 50+ kph so I would create a mission that has curved turns to save battery life and do a practice run. Have a look at the estimated trip time on the app screen and add a safety margin of 20%.
My missions are usually 10-12 mins to allow for variable wind conditions on the trip, although I have clocked in excess of 12klms with a good margin of error.

Reactions: RodPad
Isn't there an efficiency of flying at a slower speed like there is with a car?
There a pile threads on this forum regarding optimum speed vs battery life and some good explanations regarding battery power required to maintain an efficient rate of progress for the drone. There are many variables to getting the drone up in the air, overcoming wind resistance and gravity, efficient use of the motors and attached props. I posted up the results of a test I did when comparing P and S mode on my P4 and it basically confirmed what the distance freaks were doing WRT to optimum speed vs distance. I do shorter missions of >3klms at 30kph when battery life is not an issue but wind her up to 50kph for the longer runs. Always take off as close to 100% battery charge before you even bother with the longer runs, and turn off smartRTH to avoid the battery thinking it needs to come back when it's usually not the case.

Yes, curved turns, check them all, every time you add a way point between others, it always has 0 curve, try some missions 1/2 way first.

Rod

Thanks - I did find a old thread which answers my question in detail. It seems a moderate speed would have been better until I read the thread. Now I think I understand!

When I go for longer distances flights does it matter at all if Obstacle Avoidance is enabled?

Thanks - I did find a old thread which answers my question in detail. It seems a moderate speed would have been better until I read the thread. Now I think I understand!

When I go for longer distances flights does it matter at all if Obstacle Avoidance is enabled?
If there are no issues/impact scenarios (even then I wouldn't rely on it) with your mission, turn off OA. It can be impacted upon by direct sunlight on the sensors or possibly glare from water if you are cruising over it and either slow down or stop thinking something is in the way.
I seldom use it unless I'm flying around the forest where I live.

Reactions: RodPad
Isn't there an efficiency of flying at a slower speed like there is with a car?
So I thinking about traveling on land v.s. air.

Cars fuel consumption goes up with speed mainly caused by friction from the air.
(You save time, you use more fuel, travel the same distance)

Aircraft travels in the air, fuel consumption goes up with headwind.
(To travel maximum distance, you need maximum speed, your fuel is limited by time)

Does this make any sense?
I really don't know. :rolleyes: :)

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl