Litchi help...Focus on POI during a waypoint mission.

Reaction score
Mission #1
I created a multiple waypoint mission with a POI centered over a local park pond. The mission progressed fine, but as it overflew the POI (pond) the camera focused on the next WP.

Please review my mission videos and load the missions into your Android device and review my mission settings. I really want the camera to focus on the POI the entire mission.

http://www.n6vmo.com/Litchi/POI Missions.zip

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mission #2
Another simple mission with just two WPs and a POI in the center. Again the mission went well, but after the overflight, the camera focused on the next WP instead of the POI.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not understanding something here. You ar mixing GS flying with POI flying. Don't believe the app was designed to mix them. I think if you fly out to a location manually or initiate the POI as long as you are within controller range the POI works flawless. The way point flying and POI flying are two different tab in the app. I have flown both GS and POI as separate flights but have not had a POI work in the middle of a Way Point flight. Even the videos at the Litchi web site show them as different functions. Am a missing something here or are they two differs functions.

Can't see if your mission has only waypoints or also focus points
But.. You want to keep the focus on the poi and can do that by placing a focus point. (Right corner , left of the pencil icon)
In the 2nd wp you can tell to focus on that. If that doesn't help, set a focuspoint way beyond the path and keep the setting focus on closest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can you just post a screenshot of your mission
Screenshot_2015-10-14-04-34-42.png Screenshot_2015-10-14-04-35-45.png

The screen shots will not detail how the mission is configured. Someone will need to extract the zipped mission files, connect an Android device to their PC and place the extracted missions into the Litchi/missions folder. Then the mission parameters can be reviewed.

I'm not understanding something here. You ar mixing GS flying with POI flying. Don't believe the app was designed to mix them. I think if you fly out to a location manually or initiate the POI as long as you are within controller range the POI works flawless. The way point flying and POI flying are two different tab in the app. I have flown both GS and POI as separate flights but have not had a POI work in the middle of a Way Point flight. Even the videos at the Litchi web site show them as different functions. Am a missing something here or are they two differs functions.

The screen shot is of the GS Mission maker. It does have the capability of adding a POI, it is the top left most tool button.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-14-04-34-42.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-14-04-34-42.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 715

Litchi has the ability to focus on POIs during a GS mission, according to their website, and I believe that is what the OP is trying to do.

OP I have not tried it. But have you followed the instructions on the Litchi site regarding POIs during GS missions? It mentions setting "Focus Nearest POI", maybe you don't have that set. Help - Litchi

Reactions: 2FST4U
1. are you sure you have it set to waypoint defined and not toward next waypoint for heading mode?
2. the asymmetric placement of the POI in relationship to WP#1 and WP#2 is problematic even when set correctly. the phantom Groundstation waypoint SDK isn't "aware" of litchi's POI. it only knows what the two set yaw orientation are and will smoothly transition between those angles.

So basically, it knows to face West at WP#1 and face East at WP#. halfway between WP#1 and WP#2, it will be facing north (or south). it doesn't really know where your POI is.. a better way to configure it is with 3 WP. WP1 @start, WP#2 at beginning edge of lake and WP#3 at the other end of the lake.

At any rate, it looks like your main issue is #1 - it is set for towards next waypoint and not "waypoint defined"

Litchi has the ability to focus on POIs during a GS mission, according to their website, and I believe that is what the OP is trying to do.

OP I have not tried it. But have you followed the instructions on the Litchi site regarding POIs during GS missions? It mentions setting "Focus Nearest POI", maybe you don't have that set. Help - Litchi

Yes, I have that set to "Focus Nearest POI".

1. are you sure you have it set to waypoint defined and not toward next waypoint for heading mode?
2. the asymmetric placement of the POI in relationship to WP#1 and WP#2 is problematic even when set correctly. the phantom Groundstation waypoint SDK isn't "aware" of litchi's POI. it only knows what the two set yaw orientation are and will smoothly transition between those angles.

So basically, it knows to face West at WP#1 and face East at WP#. halfway between WP#1 and WP#2, it will be facing north (or south). it doesn't really know where your POI is.. a better way to configure it is with 3 WP. WP1 @start, WP#2 at beginning edge of lake and WP#3 at the other end of the lake.

At any rate, it looks like your main issue is #1 - it is set for towards next waypoint and not "waypoint defined"

You may be correct. I just checked and the 'Heading' was set to 'Toward Next Waypoint'. Just changed it to 'Waypoint Defined', but may need to put a waypoint in the middle of the pond instead of a POI.

I will try a test flight after work. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-14-10-10-49.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-14-10-10-49.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 702
  • Screenshot_2015-10-14-10-13-21.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-14-10-13-21.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 780
You may be correct. I just checked and the 'Heading' was set to 'Toward Next Waypoint'. Just changed it to 'Waypoint Defined', but may need to put a waypoint in the middle of the pond instead of a POI.

yes, focus nearest POI refers to the gimbal pitch. Heading refers to the aircraft yaw....

Yes, I have that set to "Focus Nearest POI".
And the other instructions on the Litchi Help page, did you carefully follow those? Also

Yes, this is the very thing the Litchi help page mentions. Their website actually has fairly decent instructions on how to use their app.

Read the Litchi Help section again and tried testing with the settings recommended.

The first flight to the pond was using the same mission, but with 'Waypoint Defined'. The P3A started the mission OK, but soon after, the craft slowly yawed to the right. It was if it was trying to focus the camera on a non-existent WP or POI. I didn't finish the mission and brought the craft close to the Home Point.

Next mission was a repeat of the simple two WP mission from the day before, but with 'Waypoint Defined'. The mission progressed, but the craft seemed to point at a POI several 100' from the programmed POI, and it did not even hold that point in the center of the camera. The POI was in the center of the RC track.

Next mission was developed from scratch, similar to the simple two WP with a POI in the center of the RC track. Once again the craft did not keep the POI in the center of the display.

Read the Litchi Help section again and tried testing with the settings recommended.

The first flight to the pond was using the same mission, but with 'Waypoint Defined'. The P3A started the mission OK, but soon after, the craft slowly yawed to the right. It was if it was trying to focus the camera on a non-existent WP or POI. I didn't finish the mission and brought the craft close to the Home Point.

Next mission was a repeat of the simple two WP mission from the day before, but with 'Waypoint Defined'. The mission progressed, but the craft seemed to point at a POI several 100' from the programmed POI, and it did not even hold that point in the center of the camera. The POI was in the center of the RC track.

Next mission was developed from scratch, similar to the simple two WP with a POI in the center of the RC track. Once again the craft did not keep the POI in the center of the display.

Post your mission screenshots!

you need to remember that the AC doesn't know about your POI! DJI SDK has no concept of a POI. the POI is essentially a guide for setting your yaw angles. you have to be strategic about placing waypoints depending on what you are trying to accomplish

The 'X' is where the P3A appeared to focus its attention during the first and second missions in the video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-15-09-14-43.jpeg
    Screenshot_2015-10-15-09-14-43.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 712
Post your mission screenshots!

you need to remember that the AC doesn't know about your POI! DJI SDK has no concept of a POI. the POI is essentially a guide for setting your yaw angles. you have to be strategic about placing waypoints depending on what you are trying to accomplish

Please download that mission, modify it so that the camera will focus on the white trailer as it flies from WP #1 to WP #2. Zip it up and email it to me so I can better understand what needs to be done. I have read the Litchi Help section, but I am more than likely not understanding.

ignore the POI and think about the WP since the P3 doesn't actually know about your POI. it only knows about the angle at WP#1 and the angle at WP#2. it then slowly rotates from angle #1 to angle #2 throughout the entire path.

if you want it to actually focus at that small point, you need 4 way points.

WP#1 beginning
WP#2 infront of white trailer
WP#3 behind white trailer
WP#4 ending

in this example - it will fly straight from WP#1 to WP#2 - it won't try to yaw yet.. in flying straight, it will still be aimed at your POI. at WP#3, it will begin to yaw until it reaches the angle set at WP#3. From WP#3 to WP#4 it will fly straight back maintaining focus on the POI.

basically, you are trying to tell your P3 to turn too early

ignore the POI and think about the WP since the P3 doesn't actually know about your POI. it only knows about the angle at WP#1 and the angle at WP#2. it then slowly rotates from angle #1 to angle #2 throughout the entire path.

if you want it to actually focus at that small point, you need 4 way points.

WP#1 beginning
WP#2 infront of white trailer
WP#3 behind white trailer
WP#4 ending

in this example - it will fly straight from WP#1 to WP#2 - it won't try to yaw yet.. in flying straight, it will still be aimed at your POI. at WP#3, it will begin to yaw until it reaches the angle set at WP#3. From WP#3 to WP#4 it will fly straight back maintaining focus on the POI.

basically, you are trying to tell your P3 to turn too early

Yes, I just read and then reread the Litchi Help and set up a WP mission with many WPs. As I stepped from WP to WP, it became clear. Thanks.

sorry for the crappy screen capture -copied wrong orientation

I have a similar issue in that the heading is not changing throughout the flight and the aircraft maintains the heading it had going to the first waypoint.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic