Litchi Focus Mode?

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals. Wanted to get some opinions. Getting a particular shot with the P4P was recently asked of me and it consists of focusing on a POI on the ground. P4p will start out at about 10 or 15ft up. Then while keeping that POI center frame I want to pull away from the subject while at the same time acending. I could probably do this manually but we want to swap out the subjects and later edit them all back in for a special effect so I need to be able to repeat this shot several times exactly like the first one. Doing this by hand might be a challenge at least trying to repeat it exactly. I do have Litchi. Anyone know if Focus mode would be at least some benefit that it can control the gimbal and all I have to do is concentrate on the pull Back and Up flying part.

Would welcome any thoughts or ideas.

THank you!

Anyone know if Focus mode would be at least some benefit that it can control the gimbal and all I have to do is concentrate on the pull Back and Up flying part.
You can't do a POI manually. You will need to create a mission profile for that. You will need to place waypoints with altitude increase in between. It's tricky, but can be done. Remember that with Litchi, the altitude between waypoints will increase at a particular rate. The closer your waypoints, the steeper the incline angle. Also, these will not be 100% exact each time. It may be off a bit.

I thought with Focus mode you can just tap where you want the Phantom to lock it's gaze on and no matter where you fly the gimbal will stay turned or tilted towards it. I brought up Focus Mode and can see a google map view of my home. I tapped on the street near me and it dropped a pink POI Pin.

I brought up Focus Mode and can see a google map view of my home. I tapped on the street near me and it dropped a pink POI Pin.
POI and Focus are different. I was "assuming" that you meant POI as that is what you stated. What you are wanting to do will be quite difficult manually. Personally, I would use a mission with curved turns and the radius set to zero. That way it will not actually stop at the waypoints, but continue to gradually climb between them. That may give you the effect you are looking for.

Reactions: Capt KO
If it helps, I think you are looking for a "Zipline" effect. Do a few searches on that.

Yeah I will check that out. I think your suggestion of doing a waypoint might work as well. I can set a POI. Then a few feet in front of that set the first way point and start it at 15 or 20 feet. Then at a good distance behind it set waypoint 2 with an altitude to like 150 and tell it to stay focused on POI1. It should hopefully start ascending from 20ft waypoint 1 to 150ft waypoint 2.

It should hopefully start ascending from 20ft waypoint 1 to 150ft waypoint 2.
It should do just that. Just remember the incline. It is a gradual increase between waypoints. Set those as you wish.

At the very end when the P4P has ascended as high as I want (150ft). I want the gimbal to go level with the horizon. Do you know what gimbal pitch equals a perfectly level view? I noticed I can click on Interpolate and then I can change the Gimbal pitch angle. Would 0 be level?

Do you know what gimbal pitch equals a perfectly level view? I noticed I can click on Interpolate and then I can change the Gimbal pitch angle.
Perfectly level should be 0 degrees. But that depends on the pitch of the aircraft as well. You should be able to change the levels. As long as you are in VLOS and good signal. That should work. Actions are ignored if you lose uplink.

Just an observer here, but thank y’all. Very interesting stuff to try. Been wanting to do that, better than manually. Perfect mission to save and use everywhere you go. Like that.

Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know this worked perfectly!. I set up a quick Waypoint mission with Litchi. We were able to reproduce the shot we wanted several times in a row. Thank you Fly Dawg for your help and suggestions.

Reactions: Capt KO
Just an observer here, but thank y’all. Very interesting stuff to try. Been wanting to do that, better than manually. Perfect mission to save and use everywhere you go. Like that.

You wouldn't be able to save and repeat the mission "everywhere you go" because when a waypoint misson is saved the gps coordinates and aerial image are also saved with it. The mission can be repeated at the same location over and over, but cannot be run at a different location without manually re-constructing the waypoints again at a new mission location.

MapMaker,
I understand that now thank you. But it is easily repeatable. Tried it yesterday and liked it very much. Just 2 waypoint. Went out 400 ft and up 400, locked on POI, camera up to 0, 360 pan, return home. I only used litchi for Lat Long's previously. Hey it was my first mission, I'm happy. Thanks again y'all

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4