Litchi App Pros and Cons

Reaction score
As forums tend to have more negative thread than positive (i.e. My signal sucks vs my signal is awesome) it often hard to get the full picture on any given topic. For example, I have been reading numerous threads about the litchi app and based on many comments I am reluctant to pull the trigger and purchase this app. Its not the money that scares me but rather comments such as "loss of signal", "app crashes","fly away", "RTH not set", etc...

1. How serious are these app issues raised here and other forums?
  2. Would you rate the Litchi app as a secure piece of SW matching or surpassing th DJI-go app in as far as reliability goes?

I really like some of the functionality offered within this app but am afraid that if I use it I may regret it.

I've never had an issue with Litchi losing signal, crashing or causing a fly away it's been rock solid for me. I have been using Litchi and other 3rd party apps since Appril, when I got the P4 and the only issues I've had other than DJIGo app crashing, seem to be related to the SDK that these apps use and that just with the last SDK. I recommend Litchi and other 3rd party apps with the understanding that much of the issues one may encounter are not necessarily related to the app but rather the SDK DJI provides and the firmware on the drone. Wxith the above in mind, it's a good idea to keep up with the various forums and groups the 3rd party apps are active in so one can learn of potential issues that arise.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
Here is the part taken right from the Litchi web site that concerns me

Warning When using a Phantom 3 Standard or Phantom 3 4K (not to be confused with Phantom 3 Pro), be aware that the aircraft will not return to home automatically if signal is lost while Litchi has some or all control of the aircraft, it will hover instead. The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track. All other aircraft models and flight modes are unaffected by this issue.

So if I lose the app signal or worst, connection between controller and drone, then what?

I take it you have a P3? If so, I guess it depends on the type of flying you plan on doing with Litchi. I use Litchi with a Phantom 4 for waypoint and POI filming because of the smoothness of gimbal movements and the preflight planning. For follow and tracking I use DJIGo. that being said, I have my default finish action as return to home and under general settings - aircraft - signal lost for manual flying I use RTH.

...aircraft will not return to home automatically if signal is lost while Litchi has some or all control of the aircraft...

I am sure this is by design. For example, in Follow Me, if you're on a 3 mile bike ride, you wouldn't want it flying back home if you lose signal for a few secs.

I've been using Litchi for about a year. It's rock solid and in my opinion its advantages out-weigh any disadvantages. I suspect the people who complain about Litchi when something goes wrong are the same people who would complain about DJI Go if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Reads like ... if you send it out of range - it will stop and just hover - not actually completing the mission, has that happened to anyone?
scared-s.gif
Yikes

Reads like ... if you send it out of range - it will stop and just hover - not actually completing the mission, has that happened to anyone?
I'm not sure that's right. I believe the RTH is in the firmware when signal from the controller is lost (please note non-committal fuzzy words designed to imply my lack of actual knowledge of the matter).

Forgive my confusion all, are you saying that ONLY the below modes are affected with a P3 4K?
The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track
If you are not doing any of the above "types", then it will return home and not hover with signal loss? Thanks for you patience with me, have not used the app yet but am looking forward to doing so with my P3 4K.

Reactions: Pharm
Forgive my confusion all, are you saying that ONLY the below modes are affected with a P3 4K?
The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track
If you are not doing any of the above "types", then it will return home and not hover with signal loss? Thanks for you patience with me, have not used the app yet but am looking forward to doing so with my P3 4K.
Not my words. I copied the "warning" directly from the Litchi website

Well. I pulled the trigger and bought Litchi for my Android. It crashed minutes after I installed it and about 2-3 times after that. I since then "Force Stopped" (even though it wasnt running) the DJI Go app and it seems to have stabilized the Litchi app. Which brings me to my next question:

I have been watching several videos and reading different threads on using missions in Litchi. Many people seem to use the Dji-Go App to position the bird at the starting point then switching to Litchi. Why would they do this???

You don't have to use the go app at all to fly waypoints with litchi, make sure the go app (or any app for that matter) is completely closed. I usually set the waypoints then fly up to the same altitude as the first waypoint and then hit the play button. If your P3S goes out of range it will complete the mission.

I use Litchi from start to finish. Generally I fly LOS to the starting waypoint then start the mission or takeoff and get to altitude then start the mission where the drone will fly to the starting waypoint. Be careful here with you altitudes and starting points;

Reactions: Cadbob
The warning clearly states that it only affects the listed modes. On a waypoint mission, if it loses contact it will complete the mission.

Start to finish here also.... P4... Litchi running... start engines.... Lift off and climb to altitude.... Hit Play Mission then start after it loads and sit back and watch... Flew at least 20 missions this weekend without a hitch....
4e2d097e533f4fbfc8ab13de32ab4514.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I own a phantom 3 pro I have been using Litchi app with android and now with IOS for a year and never had problem.
I took the phantom filmschool course 1 2 3 on udemy and all is going perfectly
I recommand Litchi 100%

Reactions: Jake Deer
I own a phantom 3 pro I have been using Litchi app with android and now with IOS for a year and never had problem.
I took the phantom filmschool course 1 2 3 on udemy and all is going perfectly
I recommand Litchi 100%
I too took the Phantom Filmschool and it helped immensely.

As forums tend to have more negative thread than positive (i.e. My signal sucks vs my signal is awesome) it often hard to get the full picture on any given topic. For example, I have been reading numerous threads about the litchi app and based on many comments I am reluctant to pull the trigger and purchase this app. Its not the money that scares me but rather comments such as "loss of signal", "app crashes","fly away", "RTH not set", etc...

1. How serious are these app issues raised here and other forums?
  2. Would you rate the Litchi app as a secure piece of SW matching or surpassing th DJI-go app in as far as reliability goes?

I really like some of the functionality offered within this app but am afraid that if I use it I may regret it.

@BourgeoisSJC ,
Most litchi users, including myself, are extremely pleased with litchi. Some of the error people run into are as stated, related to the SDK that is provided by DJI. I'm pretty sure litchi is solid for 90% of the people that use it. and some of the mistakes that have happened are from people not understanding that as great as this software is , it is limited to the restrictions of the SDK.

I would recommend litchi 110% for way-point mission , orbits and follow. the track that litchi has that is similar to the active track of the p4 works if you have a powerful high end phone but i wouldn't rely on that.

Warning When using a Phantom 3 Standard or Phantom 3 4K (not to be confused with Phantom 3 Pro), be aware that the aircraft will not return to home automatically if signal is lost while Litchi has some or all control of the aircraft, it will hover instead. The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track. All other aircraft models and flight modes are unaffected by this issue.

The working of this statement scared me too but don't let it scare you too much. If you are flying in FPV mode, and lose connection, your bird will come home. If you are flying your bird in a way-point mission,f, Your bird WILL NOT initiate a RTH if you lose signal. IT WILL COMPLETE the mission . which is actually what you want . This allows you to set up missions further that the range of your controller. Just be sure to set up your mission so that your bird does not run into any obstacles. The other modes listed, in the event you lose signal the bird will just hover. as someone else has stated , this is a good thing especially for follow. I have had follow on while I drove home. I would not want my bird going to the home point ( which would be where I took off from ) if I am now 2 miles away from that point . The bird will just sit there waiting for the next command or until low battery , then it will land.. pull the trigger its scary but worth the money. I have android devices so I use Litchi and just started using DJI ultimate flight. ( still learning that one )

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic