The verdict on firmware v1.1.411 - Pros and Cons

Reaction score
After looking at a lot for forums, Facebook and different sources I thought I would share what I have found. (I have yet to update my firmware as well)

So there are positives and negatives (I will update this list as I find more)

Pros:
- People are reporting better range with the new firmware and new app.

- The latest firmware resolves the issue of blury between colour modes (as said in the release notes).

- The latest firmware which includes a new battery firmware, allows you to top the battery off to 100%. Where as before people had issues that it wouldn't charge above 96%

- Rock solid flying if you calibrate all sensors after firmware update​

Cons:
- There is a battery bug where if you discharge to below 10% and then proceed to normally charge it, it will show the led lights as high voltage until it charges for about 15minutes and then start charging normally. ( Click here for more info: [Bug] P4 intelligent flight battery firmware bug! )

- There is also a bug with app that when you go into flight simulator it records the flight in your flight logs as if you did a real flight. (Click here for more info: Facebook )

- All settings are erased when the new firmware is applied, and it appears that you will need to calibrate the IMU, Compass, VPS, and Collision Avoidance sensors, people have said they have had a rock stable flight after doing that. (better than any other flight)

- Some people have said they still get blurryness on different colour modes, but a camera reset or full app install fixes it.

- Some people have reported that the drop in altitude is worse on the new firmware.

- Also some people have said that they have experienced worse range, but I am unsure at how true this is, as a lot of users have said they have had much better.

Edit:
- When using the colour mode D-Log, over exposure warning lines do not show correctly.​

Conclusion:
So I am about 90% thinking that it is ok to update, majority of users are having better stable flying with this update. The good thing is you can revert back to v1.1.301 if you do have troubles.

But the main thing is if you do upgrade, ensure you calibrate everything including the VPS and Collision avoidance sensors. There is a youtube video on how to do this (Link Youtube Link )

A side note, the DJI Assistant 2 software has been updated to v1.0.4, so make sure you use this version when doing upgrades or calibration and not an older version.

I recommend you upgrade through the app on your tablet/phone and then use the DJI Assistant to calibrate the sensors.

Last edited:
I am staying in 301... when i tried 410 I had horrible altitude loss, and none at all with 301. Soooooo.... 301 it is. Everything works great, and the new updates are meaningless things, so why break it ?

Reactions: Stealthmatt
Can't fault it. Couple of ever so minor bugs but all seems ok

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have noticed when pressing REC button for video there is about a 1.5second delay before it makes the record noise and starts recording. I also noticed that the app wouldn't change from Dlog to normal fully and the resultant footage was still in Dlog and yet settings were set differently. Pretty minor bugs that I can live with.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The altitude adjustment while in follow me is a huge plus with the new upgrade.

Why would you calibrate everything when DJI doesn't recommend that for any firmware update? From P2 V+, P3A to P4 I've never calibrated anything but the compass and only on the first flight, unless a very far distance from home.

Rock solid flying with all the birds.

Why would you calibrate everything when DJI doesn't recommend that for any firmware update? From P2 V+, P3A to P4 I've never calibrated anything but the compass and only on the first flight, unless a very far distance from home.

Rock solid flying with all the birds.

DJI do recommend to do an IMU calibration and Compass calibration after a firmware update.

Some people have reported issues of VPS and forward facing obstacle sensors not responding correctly after the new update. The solution has been to calibrate those sensors.

If your craft is flying fine, then this is no worries. However, at the very least I would do an IMU and Compass calibration to ensure no anomalies when flying after a new firmware.

If you could kindly point that out. It's not in the manual anywhere.

In the video it states "do not move the aircraft arbitrarily". What happens if you do?

If you could kindly point that out. It's not in the manual anywhere.
There's a few things that "AREN'T" in the manual. Like the 2X zoom on the camera when using IOS devices. Also, how to top off the battery (now that they have the firmware fixed) that's at 96%. I don't think I've seen the horizon adjustment mentioned either, holding C2 and turning the photo wheel.

I will continue to not do any calibration based on dogma from online forum "gurus". I will however, monitor the birds both through the app and flying characteristics and if an issue, then I will mess with the IMU or the cameras.

I've worked in IT since the DOS days and IMHO you don't need to recalibrate after a firmware upgrade. YMMV, do what you like.

I will continue to not do any calibration based on dogma from online forum "gurus". I will however, monitor the birds both through the app and flying characteristics and if an issue, then I will mess with the IMU or the cameras.

I've worked in IT since the DOS days and IMHO you don't need to recalibrate after a firmware upgrade. YMMV, do what you like.

I've also worked in IT since the dawn of time... C-VIC20 running BBS then graduated to IBM PC-DOS. If updating a computer BIOS can trigger driver instabilities and other issues with the OS, then it is conceivable that a DJI firmware update can trigger problems with calibrations.

Last edited:
I've also worked in IT since the dawn of time... C-VIC20 running BBS then graduated to IBM PC-DOC. If updating a computer BIOS can trigger driver instabilities and other issues with the OS, then it is conceivable that a DJI firmware update can trigger problems with calibrations.

Word. But if it ain't broke don't fix it. Three Phantoms, not one issue with upgrades. BTW never seen a BIOS update screw anything up. Unless it's user error.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Word. But if it ain't broke don't fix it. Three Phantoms, not one issue with upgrades. BTW never seen a BIOS update screw anything up. Unless it's user error.

BIOS, eh, you're right. But firmware... firmware updates on enterprise class servers almost always require driver updates. All I am saying is that the intel coming out of DJI is limited and appears at times, incomplete. I'm new at this but I can already see the the trend. That said, who knows if re-calibrations are really needed or not. When the last update defaulted all the settings without warning, BIG red flag.

Reactions: snowghost
Yes the firmware updates sometimes mess up your settings. But like I said, 3 Phantoms and I've never had to recalibrate anything other than the compass, and that's because of location changes.

Ok guys, I updated.

It appears there is also an ESC update in this firmware, because all 4 motors flash and get updated (I guess stuff that was fixed but not detailed in the update log).

The update process went well. and I calibrated the IMU. (Didn't do the others)

It seems stable, there is still a slight drop when flying and then stopping but everything else is fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav