Litchi App in Alpha testing with Support for P3 Pro(only) /I1 GS/Follow

Kaehn has produced, hands down the BEST APP available for P2 and I am sure his P3 version will blow away any others.

Reactions: eseckinger
Kaehn has produced, hands down the BEST APP available for P2 and I am sure his P3 version will blow away any others.
Yes, he has which is why I posted so quickly, the alpha/beta builds were always solid and he resolves and ads stuff daily.

You will need to pm Kaehn for the custom firmware.

Is it a new app or the "litchi for DJI Phantom 2" app? I signed up through Play for the P2 app.

P3 and Inspire 1 support is being added to the same app, right now it's only in alpha though, which is why the 'public' name is still Litchi for DJI Phantom 2.

Hey guys,

Just to correct eseckinger's post, Follow me is not supported yet, only FPV and GS (gs only with a custom firmware).
That being said follow me and poi are coming soon!

Kaehn, you do realize there is NO Follow Me feature in the DJI software, don't you?

Follow me is built into the phantom's firmware, we have not tested it yet, but the code is there.
Even if it's not, we already implemented it in our app, so we can always use that too.

Reactions: Julius717 and ctp
There is No Follow Me feature built into the app by DJI. People have seen the word "Follow" in the SDK and have confused it with a Follow Me feature as you may have.

The "Follow" that is being mistaken is part of the Gimbal orientation. It offers two modes which are "Follow" and "FPV". Both control how the gimbal functions.

"FPV" mode - the gimbal will sync with the movement of the aircraft.

"Follow" mode - the angle between the gimbal's orientation and the aircraft's nose remains constant at all times

FlyNfrank, I believe you are the one being confused.
I am not talking about the gimbal's follow mode.
Follow me is when the drone follows you.
Quoting the DJI development kit documentation:
Also, Follow Me is a function for allowing the drone to follow your movement. However, the follow me requires the target sending the GPS data to the drone to make sure the drone could correctly locate the target and then follow it.

This is pretty clear, they are not talking about the gimbal, this is a comment inside the Ground Station API class.
As I said above, we have not tried it yet, so it may be in the end that it does not work yet, but we already have a working follow me implementation which we will use should the DJI one not work.

Reactions: Stephan
FlyNfrank, I believe you are the one being confused.
I am not talking about the gimbal's follow mode.
Follow me is when the drone follows you.
Quoting the DJI development kit documentation:

This is pretty clear, they are not talking about the gimbal, this is a comment inside the Ground Station API class.
As I said above, we have not tried it yet, so it may be in the end that it does not work yet, but we already have a working follow me implementation which we will use should the DJI one not work.

Let's hope you're right and there is a Follow Me feature being supported by the SDK. In looking through the manual there is only mention of the gimbal follow mode. There is also mention of other features that have not been added yet, but there is no mention of the follow me. As I said, hopefully it is SDK supported.

hopefully it is SDK supported.
It is SDK supported, because a developer can write the follow me code himself. The debate is whether DJI will enable their native version of follow me w/ a firmware update or not.

So DJI gave you permission to distribute their Developer's firmware version to anyone or are you breaching your DJI/SDK Developer agreement??? Just curious before i join the beta test and give the app a try....

It is SDK supported, because a developer can write the follow me code himself. The debate is whether DJI will enable their native version of follow me w/ a firmware update or not.

Does DJI have a native version? Is it in the I1 firmware already? I'm asking because I do not know.

Btw, anyone know what DJI's take is on bypassing the public SDK in order to achieve the functionality of features they don't support? I would think they would not have a problem with it, possibly an approval process?

What Kaehn developed for the p2 is more than adequate even if there is no native support. Used it lots on my p2v + , also flew many 4+ mile gs missions.

What Kaehn developed for the p2 is more than adequate even if there is no native support. Used it lots on my p2v + , also flew many 4+ mile gs missions.

I don't think anyone is doubting abilities. We're all on the same team.

I try to pay attention to as much as time allows, and there is some occasions I miss the daily round table meeting. But the word going around is that dji will be pulling the plug on those developers that just can't seem to get it. Appearantly there is a way they have clearly stated how they want things to go. They have been lenient thus far due to not being able to respond back the way they would like to.

I guess in building up to whatever this moderation is going to be, they added some deal that the 1st time you become active in someones app it goes through a dji approval process where the app and/or your device is concerned. That may be why ViperNuke expressed his concern a few posts back?

I don't think anyone is doubting abilities. We're all on the same team.

I try to pay attention to as much as time allows, and there is some occasions I miss the daily round table meeting. But the word going around is that dji will be pulling the plug on those developers that just can't seem to get it. Appearantly there is a way they have clearly stated how they want things to go. They have been lenient thus far due to not being able to respond back the way they would like to.

I guess in building up to whatever this moderation is going to be, they added some deal that the 1st time you become active in someones app it goes through a dji approval process where the app and/or your device is concerned. That may be why ViperNuke expressed his concern a few posts back?
Don't think they would have given him the firmware and software if they did not want it redistributed. I could be wrong. He's been working with the p2 app and sdk a would now. This is Android where things are open sourced not IOS.

Last edited:
We are not distributing it in the broad sense. It is only for a select few that will help us with alpha testing and feedback, and who understand the risks of using a non public firmware.

@flyNfrank our Follow me implementation relies on the joystick API which is part of the SDK. You can read more about it here: http://dev.dji.com/api_doc/android We do not 'bypass the SDK' in any way, whatever that means.

Last edited:
Ok Fair enough.. And Frank was right about my concerns. Another question but this one is about the UI and your app layout as i noticed that its very similar if not the same as the dJI pilot app UI.. Is this like a custom/default UI available to you developers.??? Im sorry I'm asking too many questions, i just don't wanna waste my time and hard earned $$ on something that might get pull by DJI later on if it's not being developed within the rules set by DJI/SDK... Anyways i bought the App and I'm just waiting for the weather to get better so i can give it a try on 2V+ first.... Then move to the P3.. :)

We did take some inspiration from the DJI pilot app as, at the time, we wanted to bring the dji pilot experience to p2 users, since we think the app is well designed, however we've changed the UI quite a bit in the alpha, these changes haven't made it to the public release yet though. We have a level 2 sdk license, and dji just recently reviewed our app for the 2nd time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctp

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31