Litchi and obstacle avoidance P4

Reaction score
May be a dumb question, but does anyone know if OA works when on a Litchi mission, yes I know you have to be pretty dumb to plot a route that hits an obstacle, but my reason for asking is:-

Occasionally my drone has stopped and hovered when the OA sensors are pointing at a low level sun, usually it is just a quick hesitation, the drone decelerates rapidly and the this seems to correct itself.

What if you are on a mission,you loose contact, which is quite common on long missions, and the drone stops, pointing at the sun, and will not move. You cannot RTH or cancel as you are out of contact.

Time to panic maybe? Or am I just dreaming up scenarios which will not happen.

Indeed OA works while running Litchi. Last weekend OA saved my Phantom from crashing while I was flying FOCUS Litchi, it would have been totally my fault. It turns out that I underestimated the height of a tree by about 2 ft., I was pretty sure the Phantom was going to make it, hard to gauge at a distance, I was totally wrong. When the Phantom saw the tree it completely stopped, I have the footage on the mem card. I am going to post it when I have time.

Last edited:
Not my Video but this should answer your questions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yes many thanks, that does answer many questions.To the few posters who detract Litchi,watch this and say thank you Litchi.
Personally,I have flown 100+ litchi flights on mission and never a problem, and still have great confidence.
Thanks for responding.

Indeed OA works while running Litchi. Last weekend OA saved my Phantom from crashing while I was flying FOCUS Litchi, it would have been totally my fault. It turns out that I underestimated the height of a tree by about 2 ft., I was pretty the Phantom was going to make it, I was totally wrong. When the Phantom saw the tree it completely stopped, I have the footage on the mem card. I am going to post it when I have time.
Thanks, that was my follow up question,does it work in orbit and focus, you answered , thanks.

Not my Video but this should answer your questions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It sure looked like you hit the house. Close. How fast were you traveling when the drone hit the brakes by the house? Because in Litchi you can program the speed to go to around 31 mph but, I thought object avoidance, when on, only allowed the the bird to travel around 20mph or so in DJI GO. I'm not sure if Litchi keeps it from traveling above that speed if object avoidance is on. It's tricky to test but, I was not a believer that OA worked in Litchi before your video.

Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It's tricky to test but, I was not a believer that OA worked in Litchi before your video.
Interesting.

I did not think OA worked in Litchi either, found out when I was running FOCUS on Litchi.

It sure looked like you hit the house. Close. How fast were you traveling when the drone hit the brakes by the house? Because in Litchi you can program the speed to go to around 31 mph but, I thought object avoidance, when on, only allowed the the bird to travel around 20mph or so in DJI GO. I'm not sure if Litchi keeps it from traveling above that speed if object avoidance is on. It's tricky to test but, I was not a believer that OA worked in Litchi before your video.

Interesting.

He said it wasn't his video

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good question.

I'm interested in the OA pauses that you mention.

I use Litchi for security patrols and we fly in all light conditions. I know that collision avoidance is unreliable in low light, so I rely heavily on the aircraft sticking to its programmed route.

So if the aircraft pauses mid flight (resolving its proximity to the sun or floodlights), does it increase altitude and resume flight or just sit there till the battery reaches "bingo" and then RTH?

RTH mid route without collision avoidance could be disastrous where I work. I could just increase the RTH altitude, but that would push the altitude well above restricted limits. This is still favourable to a collision ...

Many of our obstacles have flashing lights on them. At night, I'm guessing that OA would only detect them when the flashing light is on and within the FOV (60* X 60*).

I just watched the video. Looks like OA is a lot more intelligent than just increase alt and try again. It reminded me of my Roomba vacuum. I remain concerned about OA responses to glare lighting and a low sun.

I know that the system isn't fool proof or perfect. I'm just interested to learn if there's a way to reduce the likelihood of leaving an expensive X shaped hole in the concentrate stockpile.

Last edited:
I don't think it works in Orbit !
In orbit the drone flies sideways, it only has OA in front.
I may be wrong as I do not often use orbit, but I think it can fly nose in, or out,to the centre, or forward or backward facing along the circumference. But yes only one of those directions will enable OA.

I may be wrong as I do not often use orbit, but I think it can fly nose in, or out,to the centre, or forward or backward facing along the circumference. But yes only one of those directions will enable OA.
You're right. Of course OA only works flying forward.

I see now! looks good
3rd March 2016 / Phantom4 / Information, News
The Phantom 4 will not need to be updated the same way as the Phantom 3 does/did. DJI are making a brand new version of the Assistant software for Windows and Mac as was used with the Phantom 2. Creatively named “Assistant 2”. So what will this new tool do? Well, the following is a list of, from looking at it, I think it will do.

1: Manage the firmware updates of ALL new DJI aircraft. Possibly the Phantom 3 also..
2: Will be used to calibrate the Phantom 4 vision system ( likely the Inspire 2 also ).
3: Contains a simulator to practice flying the P4 ( and Inspire 2 most likely when its out )
4: The Assistant will auto update when opened.
5: Will also manage some new DJI technologies including the Remote Controllers, Inspire 2 ( Confirmed 100% ), Matrice 600 ( Confirmed 100% ), Matrice 100, A3 controller, ZD Series ( not sure what this is ), future ESC’s.
6: The logs form the Phantom 4 ( and Inspire 2/Matrice 600 ) will be readable in high detail from the Assistant 2.

DJI Assistant 2 – What Will It Do?

Yes it works but may spell trouble
787e4a31d5baeec6918ec22e8a7a531e.jpg

Does this Litchi app work together with the DJI app or does it overtake it and you use it exclusively instead of the DJI app? I thought the DJI app had the waypoint feature built into the software.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Does this Litchi app work together with the DJI app or does it overtake it and you use it exclusively instead of the DJI app? I thought the DJI app had the waypoint feature built into the software.

The DJI app has the waypoint feature built into the software. One thing the Litchi App or Autopilot (The one I use quite a bit) is that you can program your mission offline. You do not have to be connected to the aircraft to program what you want the aircraft to do.
Personally I like Autopilot better than Litchi ( I have both Apps ). AP has a path inspector, allows you to test the mission in your mobile phone before you even go out to fly.
You can also program the mission on the Litchi hub in a computer.

Mission Hub - Litchi

Reactions: That Cicero Guy

This is my explanation: DJI Go 3x/DJI Go 4x have way points mode, but to fly a mission, you have to fly your drone to where you want your way point in order to log it as a way point for your mission. In essence, you have to pre-fly your mission before you set it off on its autonomous mission.

In DJI Ground Station Pro, Litchi, Auto Pilot, etc, you create your way points on your device's screen. I don't know about the other apps, but you can create your way points/way point missions on their internet site - Flylitchi.com.

Also, when you use Litchi, Ground Station Pro, Auto Pilot, etc, they are standalone apps used while DJI Go is completely turned off. It isn't like Windows 3.11 running on top of MS DOS.

Reactions: That Cicero Guy
Thank you, both. I love that 3.11 and DOS analogy. I started on Dos 2.0 and Windows 3. [emoji111]️

Does that mean these apps plan the mission(s) then upload it to the DJI Go App so it takes having to pre-fly to the locations first out of the equation? I haven't heard of DJI Ground Station Pro, yet. I need to look these apps up.

Thanks for the info! I dig around the forum and take a look.

Thank you, both. I love that 3.11 and DOS analogy. I started on Dos 2.0 and Windows 3. [emoji111]️

Does that mean these apps plan the mission(s) then upload it to the DJI Go App so it takes having to pre-fly to the locations first out of the equation? I haven't heard of DJI Ground Station Pro, yet. I need to look these apps up.

Thanks for the info! I dig around the forum and take a look.

You plan the missions ahead of time inside the App (Autopilot, Litchi) and save them. Then you go to where you are going to fly and launch the App instead of the DJI Go App and run your mission from that App.

I always run the DJI Go App first for a few seconds to make sure everything is good with the aircraft, no error messages etc. Then I fly my aircraft to a safe altitude to about 30 ft or so. Shut down the DJI Go App and Launch Autopilot or Litchi and run my mission.
One thing thou the Litchi App looks like the DJI Go when you run it. Autopilot looks completely different, the reason it takes long to learn to use.

You plan the missions ahead of time inside the App (Autopilot, Litchi) and save them. Then you go to where you are going to fly and launch the App instead of the DJI Go App and run your mission from that App.

I always run the DJI Go App first for a few seconds to make sure everything is good with the aircraft, no error messages etc. Then I fly my aircraft to a safe altitude to about 30 ft or so. Shut down the DJI Go App and Launch Autopilot or Litchi and run my mission.
One thing thou the Litchi App looks like the DJI Go when you run it. Autopilot looks completely different, the reason it takes long to learn to use.

That's one of the questions I have, actually. What happens if one of these apps crashes mid-flight? I keep seeing stories about that where it can't get reconnected, etc. Does it automatically reconnect when you re-launch it?

Also, just being me, I would be paranoid about using a third-party app to control my drone that isn't from DJI. Are these apps fairly reliable on the same level? I'm guessing yes or else they wouldn't exist anymore. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers