List of restricted airports/flying zones

slicknet said:
Gee, I can't find my cable. I guess I won't be upgrading my firmware for now.

Wow that's so funny, I seem to have misplaced my cable as well. I guess no firmware upgrade for me :roll: I'm glad at least I got the previous firmware update done so I'm not especially worried about not having this one.

The video says "restricted areas SUCH AS airports". That leads me to believe there will be other areas designated as "restricted" in the near future...

phantomguy said:
The video says "restricted areas SUCH AS airports". That leads me to believe there will be other areas designated as "restricted" in the near future...

Like Area 51? The Pentagon? The Whitehouse? World Trade Center?

Like whatever DJI decides (whether on their own or under pressure) will be considered "restricted" under THEIR terms going forward.

I guess the restricted safety zones are a work in progress. Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I see many airports missing, the largest being Love Field.

This is another way for big brother to restrict the flying through the back door pressuring DJI
Their pitch is "Well were trying to make this new technology available to consumers more safe" Bullsthit... In turn they are not viewed as the bad company with disregard for other just proliferate a market, But the company who is proactive in manufacturing a safer product.

You can bank on this, more airports will be added as time goes by then next will be parts of a city or township. This ain't getting any better.

Didn't someone here once post a link to a news story where a fire and rescue team owned and used a DJI Phantom for their work/service purposes? If so, hope they never have to use it an an airport..

This is certainly a hard egg to swallow for the folks living near airports (especially cat "A" zones).
Although I can appreciate the safety aspect of the functionality limits, I am VERY glad that I live in a part of Montana where this will not be a major hindrance. My nearest restricted space is +/- 70 miles away!

No doubt this feature will be incorporated in all future updates as well. If you aren't going to update now... you may have a hard decision to make when (or if) the waypoints update becomes available!

rfernandez said:
all major airport have their own fire depts.
Gotcha. And none of those fire departments would be able to use a Phantom for their work(like some of their non airport Fire and Rescue teams) if they wanted to do so.

Folks need to read page 37 of the v1.16 manual. The zones where the motors will not start are relatively small and located only at the busiest airports, NOT all airports. So here in SOCAL where you can almost walk across the map on airports, there are only two, LAX and John Wayne/Orange County airports on the list (near me). The no start zone is 1.5 miles around the center of LAX and 0.62 miles around John Wayne. As you move away then altitude restrictions come into play. But what in the hell are you doing flying that close to a major airport??

BTW, airports in SOCAL with NO restrictions in the software are Long Beach, Los Alamitos, Fullerton, Whiteman, Van Nuys, Burbank, and a few others.

An oddity has been discovered. It appears that DJI listed all the airports with "International" in their name, regardless of the actual airspace classification. Go figure.

phantomguy said:
Didn't someone here once post a link to a news story where a fire and rescue team owned and used a DJI Phantom for their work/service purposes? If so, hope they never have to use it an an airport..
You might be talking about me. My FD has one and uses it. They've been advised by me to not upgrade yet for this very reason.

SilentAV8R said:
Folks need to read page 37 of the v1.16 manual. The zones where the motors will not start are relatively small and located only at the busiest airports, NOT all airports. So here in SOCAL where you can almost walk across the map on airports, there are only two, LAX and John Wayne/Orange County airports on the list (near me). The no start zone is 1.5 miles around the center of LAX and 0.62 miles around John Wayne. As you move away then altitude restrictions come into play. But what in the hell are you doing flying that close to a major airport??

BTW, airports in SOCAL with NO restrictions in the software are Long Beach, Los Alamitos, Fullerton, Whiteman, Van Nuys, Burbank, and a few others.

An oddity has been discovered. It appears that DJI listed all the airports with "International" in their name, regardless of the actual airspace classification. Go figure.

Yes, until the next update fixes those airport anomalies which we've kindly pointed out to them, and adds lots more air corridor restrictions...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl