Lightning

Reaction score
Caught this after storms rolled through.
1522198915124.jpg

Very nice. Im about 3 months in w/my P3SE and still havent gotten ‘good’ with still shots esp. night scenes.
Thanks. You'll get there. I've been flying dji quads for 3 years and flying rc helicopters for 10. Practice, practice.

Great shots.......
I find with good lightning shots it is a question of timing, and some luck.

First, you have a storm moving through(and some distance away) and you have your Phantom up and hovering, pointed at the storm, and you take a succession of still images(or video) and hope that you get the image you want.

Better still if the storm is 'active', meaning that it produces lots of lightning quite rapidly.

Congratulations!
Those images are excellent.

:)

Reactions: Jake Deer
Still image. 3 sec exposure, 99 photos to get the one.
Yeah, that's pretty much the way it goes. Lots of long exposures, throw away all but one or two in the end. The good news is, at least there's no film developing costs!

Getting on the dry side of the storm is important. ISO 100 to keep everything crisp and expose for (possibly slightly the dark side of, depending on situation) ambient. Lightning produces a LOT of light!!! It's almost impossible to close down the camera's aperture so much that you would miss the flashes of lightning.

With my P3A I have no aperture control. Might be time to get ND filters.

I have some nice lightning photos from my Canon DSLR a few years back at the tail end of a derecho in NYC. Got bloody DRENCHED doing it, but it was totally worth it.

Oh yeah, important tip, don't get struck by lightning!!!

I've done some very dangerous stuff in the past. I'm very lucky.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT