Lightning Drone Flyaway

Reaction score
So I got 3 batteries and a flexible work schedule -which means I fly about 5x a day, every day. Lotsa times I fly in the rain -even though I know I shouldn't and last night was one of those times...

It had rained just before and it was going to rain all night but right then it wasn't raining too hard so I took off and flew around a little bit and then noticed some lightning in the sky. I thought it would be cool to record some of that from way up so I sent my drone up to 1000 feet high...

Round about 1000 I lost WiFi and I was starting to get nervous so instead of trying to regain control and bring her down manually I just turned off the rc and extender. I've done that before so I know it takes a loooong time for it to come down but as I'm watching it seems to be getting farther away too...

All of a sudden it disappears and now I know I got a real runaway here and I switch everything back on and I cannot get control but for a split second my dji app says its 1000 feet up and 3500 feet away which is way more than my personal best of about 2000 feet away at 300 feet high...

Find my phantom in dji app shows me where it is about I guess 3500 feet away so I drive there and look but its around midnight here and dark and I don't see any lights so I don't really think this is the spot but more likely the last time I had it in control or something? Anyways I come home and start looking on eBay to buy another just in case...

And then this morning I get a phone call somebody found it in the cemetery which is huge here in Montreal and right in the middle of the city on top of a mountain and it works perfectly! I gave the guy 100 bucks just like the time before when I got stuck on top of a tree way at the top and I had to give another guy 100 bucks to get it for me...

And I just tested it now and rth works perfectly. Sadly the video footage is boring the card filled up before landing and I'm so high up at night that there's nothing but lights down below moving slowly. But my bird traveled 1000 feet high and about 6 miles away and landed itself in 25 mins!! Pretty good no?

Anyways if you want to save 100 bucks and a lot of anxiety don't fly when it lightning's I read some posts here afterwards and it screws up your compass, GPS lock, rth etc...

Lol honestly I don't know what the rules are in Canada about these things but I DO know that the cops caught me flying my drone in the park and they gave me 2 tickets for 75 bucks each because my dogs were off leash. About the phantom they didn't say a thing, literally not one word which was weird because people stop me in the park all the time and ask about it...

Actually I just had a visit from the RCMP. They have a headquarters in westmount just a couple of blocks away from my mom,s place. I used to deliver the gazette there every day when I was a kid so I knew they were there but I guess I forgot. Anyway I've been overflying them at night and circling the building too and they told me to cut it out!! They found me in the park, came home with me to check my drivers licence and didn't say anything about the dogs which were of course off-leash lol

A scoff-law. My word

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub