Lessons learn, don't buy stuff from a China rooted company like DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I had repair service made DJI. UPS lost it and all hell break loose. I want to discussion about so that you know in advance what you get form DJI service.
In short, their customer service SUCKS BIG TIME. The worst! Don't expect it to be like target, apple, gap, or any american company. Remember it's head quarter is in China. Why am I saying that?
1. DJI, did not take initiative to call UPS to report lost product. I spend 5+ hours waiting on the phone.
2. Turn arround time is always 15+ days still counting.
3. When the product is lost, it's their reponsibility to report the lost. If it were target, amazon, apple, or newegg, costco. They would just send me a new one already and they'll take care of UPS behind the scene for us. BUT DJI, you need to
a. file a claim
b. wait for UPS to send them the money
c. then they send you the replacement
4. Their live chat / tech support is so crappy. I feel almost as if they don't speak english. When I said I want to cancel an order number their naming convention is wacky.
5. Their name convention for product is so crappy and inconsistent. If you have a phantom 3 pro, would you what the difference is between a Phantom 3 Pro vs a Phantom 3 4K. Probably not, and did you know the replacement parts are even more confusing.
Here's Phantom 3 Pro - Buy Phantom 3 - Remote Controller (Pro/Adv) | DJI Store
Here's Phantom 3 4K - Buy Phantom 3 4K - Remote Controller | DJI Store
Why is it that Phantom 3 Pro doesn't have a mobile device holder and phantom 3 4k does. If you buy a Phantom 3 Pro, the mobile device holder is attached with RC as if it's one unit.

Also DJI charge me $20 for a $235 wrong order I made.

Last edited:
Hi Binh, I'd like to report your case to management. I'm sorry we didn't take initiate to report the package as lost. Putting that burden on you was unfair and certainly not good customer service. I will file a formal complaint with management at HQ, and we'll work to make sure something like this doesn't happen again. Thanks for your support, and thanks for sharing your experience. Feedback from customers like yourself will help us improve in the long run. Also, with regards to the P3 Pro and the P34k, the P34k uses a wifi video downlink system, like the P3 standard, while the P3 Pro uses lightbridge, like the P3 Advanced. Both have 4k cameras, but the how they communicate with the aircraft is different.

I had repair service made DJI. UPS lost it and all hell break loose. I want to discussion about so that you know in advance what you get form DJI service.
In short, their customer service SUCKS BIG TIME. The worst! Don't expect it to be like target, apple, gap, or any american company. Remember it's head quarter is in China. Why am I saying that?
1. DJI, did not take initiative to call UPS to report lost product. I spend 5+ hours waiting on the phone.
3. When the product is lost, it's their reponsibility to report the lost. If it were target, amazon, apple, or newegg, costco. They would just send me a new one already and they'll take care of UPS behind the scene for us. BUT DJI, you need to
a. file a claim
4. Their live chat / tech support is so crappy. I feel almost as if they don't speak english. When I said I want to cancel an order number their naming convention is wacky.
5. Their name convention for product is so crappy and inconsistent. If you have a phantom 3 pro, would you what the difference is between a Phantom 3 Pro vs a Phantom 3 4K. Probably not, and did you know the replacement parts are even more confusing.
Why is it that Phantom 3 Pro doesn't have a mobile device holder and phantom 3 4k does. If you buy a Phantom 3 Pro, the mobile device holder is attached with RC as if it's one unit.

"Don't expect it to be like target, apple, gap, or any american company. Remember it's head quarter is in China."

Lenovo, Xiaomi phones and Huawei are all companies headquartered in China, yet they are known for quality products of moderate price in their respective fields. At least users can see DJI's progress in recent years, as the turnaround time for repair is reduced from two months to two weeks because of repair stations built in California. You barely see any progress with some American companies, like Comcast.

Amazon or Target may be generous, but you can't really blame a company doing an investigation on a lost package before sending you a $1000 replacement.

Last edited:
My apology for generalizing to "China" rooted companies. But by far, DJI is the worst customer service I have every worked with. I guess my point that I want to make clear is, you can't compare DJI customer service to american companies. For the record, my experience with comcast / xfinity has been much better than DJI... they wait time, the satisfaction with the calls.

"Don't expect it to be like target, apple, gap, or any american company. Remember it's head quarter is in China."

Lenovo, Xiaomi phones and Huawei are all companies headquartered in China, yet they are known for quality products of moderate price in their respective fields. At least users can see DJI's progress in recent years, as the turnaround time for repair is reduced from two months to two weeks because of repair stations built in California. You barely see any progress with some American companies, like Comcast.

Amazon or Target may be generous, but you can't really blame a company doing an investigation on a lost package before sending you a $1000 replacement.

Last edited:
I just can't trust any extreme opinion/anecdote against DJI here or Yuneec on their forums. With all the talk over there about "DJI Plants", I expect that there are just as many "Yuneec Plants".

Honestly...my p3p has done fine the past year or so and DJI support's been perfectly adequate for me including having to replace one of my machines.

I don't know...I guess if you just want to know for 100% certain you're gonna have to have money for both. I just haven't had DJI give me a poor experience yet.

I just can't trust any extreme opinion/anecdote against DJI here or Yuneec on their forums. With all the talk over there about "DJI Plants", I expect that there are just as many "Yuneec Plants".

Honestly...my p3p has done fine the past year or so and DJI support's been perfectly adequate for me including having to replace one of my machines.

I don't know...I guess if you just want to know for 100% certain you're gonna have to have money for both. I just haven't had DJI give me a poor experience yet.

The numbers will tell. They know it themselves. In fact, I have a friend that works for DJI. He enjoys what he's doing. He agreed with me 100% that their customer service isn't all the great and that they are improving. Another friend of mine has a DJI drone he is a photographer in San Jose. He had a DOA drone. My drone RC, went in for repair b/c because the RC wouldn't talk to android or iphone. But you're right you'd have to experience it to know how it feels.

Last edited:

Not sure of your point. That other people are not really having issues? That DJI offers good service to everyone. That DJI's poor service is so rare that it really is not something to complain about?

Truth is... we all know how terrible their service is. Do they get it right? Certainly. But they fail often enough and in such a way that is so very stupid that there is really no excuse. I've mailed in two drones to them for warranty work. One they failed to repair under warranty (lawsuit pending) and the other they did not complete the repairs, denied that the completion was covered but then finally completed the repairs and offered some free props for my trouble. I'd consider that second repair a wash but it would have been so very easy for them not to have been in that situation.

IMHO the main problem with DJI repairs is that it appears they have farmed out the repairs to another company (at least in the US) and there is no over-sight with this company or DJI is not supporting them correctly.

Not sure of your point.

First sentence: To know someone for 100% certainty, one must observe it with one's own instruments. Whether that is the topic at hand or the favorite taste of a candy bar. Opinions can be given and you can accept them on faith but that is not certainty.

Second sentence: Although seemingly self explanatory, I will attempt to define more clearly. As a human being, my anecdotal evidence through experience is that I (meaning me, self, nobody else) have yet to have an experience with DJI support or sales which could be subjectively considered negative. As I have now stated my opinion, it can be included with the rest of the anecdotal notes one reads on message boards.

I hope that clarifies.

This is typical Chinese style service. I live in China most of the year and the service quality here will never be acceptable in the USA or Europe. DJI does not understand this so I jumped ship to Autel, they have USA based service.

a. file a claim

Also DJI charge me $20 for a $235 wrong order I made.
1. If DJI organised shipment this should have been handled better. It seems thay have acknowledged that perhaps the customer service rep wrongly assumed you organised the shipment.
2. Service times can be suprisingly fast. In my case 8 days including shipment both ways and repair.
3. See 1.
4. There are language issues, yes. Use clear precise english and you should not have issues. It shouldnt suprise you to learn most will be native Mandarin speakers. It is ignorant to expext the CN based customer reps to have a perfect command of english.
5. I dont understand your point. I own a pro and know the difference between it and a 4K/standard. Hard to agree on your suggestion the product descriptions arent clear. Btw- the pro and advance both have device holders.
The $20 handling charge/restocking fee seems very reasonable and is not uncommon. You waste peoples time and cost businesses money when you make a mistake ordering someting. Id rather you pay for it than to have the cost added to the next product I buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.