Less Crack Complaints

Epoxied the whole thing. I ordered a backup body/motors, wish I hadn't. The "cracked" one is totally great.
I have a feeling my cracked, repaired unit will last a long time. I still have a replacement shell on order just in case. When I get tired of it, I'll replace the shell, sell it and wait for something better

Epoxied the whole thing. I ordered a backup body/motors, wish I hadn't. The "cracked" one is totally great.
Yea, cracking not good in any case, but some forum members blew the stack on this one--- gratefully, the noise is subsiding-- I had one of the first P3's shipped, and guess what, it had cracks and I noticed them when I was bolting on snap on prop guards mounts-- a few days after I received it. Those mounts stabilized all the mounting holes for the motor and there has been no worsening of the issue nor any sign of flexible arms.
The whole point was that people paid a lot of bucks for a quality product--- and the quality lacked in the manufacturing process of the shell-- so there were a lot of upset folks. A year from now, considering the success of the P3 to date, these cracks will no longer be an issue.
You could always sell the body, I would keep the motors-- you may have to replace one of those in a hard unintended landing (crash);).

Reactions: snowghost
Bummer. Screw hole cracks. 41 flights, 4.5 hrs flight time, and 70193 ft of distance. Never crashed, flipped or hard landed. This is REALLY sad. How poorly can a product be designed and tested before releasing it to market and then expect users to wait 6-8 weeks for a repair. Sad. Very sad.

A year from now, considering the success of the P3 to date, these cracks will no longer be an issue.

Are you assuming they will change the manufacturing process? As otherwise there will still be cracks.
The last I heard from DJI they thought the issue was to do with over torqued screws...

Why not zip ties? Rubber bands would appear to be far less restrictive and allow for movement... Hence the rubber part of their name. Don't you need something that holds the pieces together flush and tight? If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Well, the proof is in the pudding. I had one very small "beginning" of a crack in the one back recessed hole of one arm. It hasn't gotten any bigger, and no new cracks have appeared. I've flown many many times since. The rubber bands are as tight as I could get them, and are barely visible. It's just an aesthetics thing for me. I do have 4 zip ties standing by in case any new cracks appear. I inspect after "every" flight. So far so good.

Reactions: Turdle
Well, the proof is in the pudding. I had one very small "beginning" of a crack in the one back recessed hole of one arm. It hasn't gotten any bigger, and no new cracks have appeared. I've flown many many times since. The rubber bands are as tight as I could get them, and are barely visible. It's just an aesthetics thing for me. I do have 4 zip ties standing by in case any new cracks appear. I inspect after "every" flight. So far so good.

I too would have thought the bands would not have had enough support. You did well to get them on so tight!

It will be interesting to see what the end result will be for people that continue to fly with these rear arm cracks unnoticed. If there is any issue. Seems more than cosmetic to me, but perhaps the shell clips and the remainder of the screws are sufficient.

Bummer. Screw hole cracks. 41 flights, 4.5 hrs flight time, and 70193 ft of distance. Never crashed, flipped or hard landed. This is REALLY sad. How poorly can a product be designed and tested before releasing it to market and then expect users to wait 6-8 weeks for a repair. Sad. Very sad.
Yes, I'm crying crocodile tears :(

I've just discovered cracks. Purchased my P3A on July 2nd. No crashes or hard landings. 38 flights. 5 hrs 42 minutes total flight time. 227,092 feet flown. Pretty disappointing. I really don't want to go through the DJI repair process unless the new shell is a new reinforced design.

Question: For those of you who have tried the zip ties, do you feel that you have stopped the damage? How long have you flown with the fix in place?

20150630_091844.jpg
Or go with glue. After all, your shell is already damaged. My glue repair is still holding and not a trace of the repair. Look for yourself.

Super Glue or Epoxy?

Super glue. Entire perimeter along the shell. Put on, wait 5 seconds, wipe. Apply closing pressure on ends. The result is a one piece shell. No it's not brittle. I fly far and high, 50 flights since repair and it is holding strong. Oh, I can't open the shell. But for what? Speed controller replacement? It's integrated into the main board. If anything goes in there I'll spring the 50-100 for a new shell. Which I would glue when finished. Anyway, epoxy does not flow well and fast enough into the seams. Super glue does. And any weaknesses in super glue care still far stronger than those two screw holes are.

After about 50 Flights, I discovered this Cracks on the motor arm, could someone that has made the repair confirm that this type of crack can be repaired, or if it is better to return unit for service

Can someone advise if this type of problem is covered by DJI or I wuld have to pay for reair.

Bird has no accidents is in perfect condition.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    775 KB · Views: 292
Just an observation, but it seemed like every morning there were new reports. That seems to have quieted down. Maybe that's a good thing.

I'm on 51 flights with no cracks and hoping it stays that way.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    775 KB · Views: 272
Just chiming in (and I hope I don't jinx myself)
P3P
Bought 6-1-15
Flight time = 34hrs 12mins
Distance 761,189'
Flights = 275
I check with magnifier every couple days,,, No cracks

After about 50 Flights, I discovered this Cracks on the motor arm, could someone that has made the repair confirm that this type of crack can be repaired, or if it is better to return unit for service

Can someone advise if this type of problem is covered by DJI or I wuld have to pay for reair.

Bird has no accidents is in perfect condition.
I believe that DJI is covering the repairs, except you will have a six to eight window for the repair. That is why many of the folks have chosen to repair their own.

IMO if you used super glue and glue the shells together, you will have no internal repair options. Several of us -- including me, have had to replace a motor, for one reason of the other. There are also other internal repairs that could be made if required and gluing the shells would prevent that.

It would have been a very easy 'fix' for them to shave the molds down to produce a thicker cross section. That and a tweak in their resin (plastic) formula could have resulted in a much stronger arm. Time will tell.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31