Lens cap and gimbal lock

Reaction score
Just ordered one of these (as I'm in the UK and it's from a UK seller)

Looks really good quality as the guy emailed before I bought it to say... "The flexible material we use is up to 6 times more expensive than normal rigid plastic, and takes 3 times longer to print"

I know it's a bit expensive but I'll let you know what the verdict is when I get it ...
I do like the all in one design of lens cap and gimbal lock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1617153492...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's the sales video which I thought showed it off quite well so I went for it!!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctp and Cyclone
Just seen this post on the other forum. It looks good and a lot easier to put on than the one that comes with the P3.

Nice find !!

Looks good, will wait to see how your's turns out before i order. Keep us updated. :)

Looks interesting if it holds the gimbal solid. On a side note i bought a lens cap from America which after postage nearly cost the same amount.

Brilliant design! Looking forward to your evaluation.

Just ordered one of these (as I'm in the UK and it's from a UK seller)

Looks really good quality as the guy emailed before I bought it to say... "The flexible material we use is up to 6 times more expensive than normal rigid plastic, and takes 3 times longer to print"

I know it's a bit expensive but I'll let you know what the verdict is when I get it ...
I do like the all in one design of lens cap and gimbal lock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1617153492...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's the sales video which I thought showed it off quite well so I went for it!!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thats really clever.Thanks for sharing.

You could consider this one http://taco-rc.com/taco-3dpower-camera-gimbal-lock-lens-cover-for-dji-phantom-3/
It keeps the whole gimbal (including the damper) steady

20150506_111004__87115.1430966649.1280.1280.jpg

To Canada it is $45cad for the item and $19cad for shipping. A little pricey, but a really great looking idea. My bigger hold-back is actually the zero feedback on eBay while having a great product and a professionally cut video and no other items for sale... Anyone in the UK already receive shipments?

To Canada it is $45cad for the item and $19cad for shipping. A little pricey, but a really great looking idea. My bigger hold-back is actually the zero feedback on eBay while having a great product and a professionally cut video and no other items for sale... Anyone in the UK already receive shipments?

I know, I thought that too seeing zero feedback but everyone has to start somewhere... even on eBay. There was a guy on RC Groups from the UK who bought one and was pleased - here's the link:-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2384430&page=1009#post31750098

I'm sure it'll be fine :p

20150506_111004__87115.1430966649.1280.1280.jpg

POI, I order one of these, and received the camera/ gimbal protector only. The damper protector as show was not included. Maybe that is sold separately.

the damper protector is phantom 3 built-in. this item only includes the gimbal/camera holder. the gimbal motor saver shown is not included.

I have the flexible rubber one discussed in Fourblade's original post and am very happy with it. I was wary of the hard plastic ones in case they were a tight fit and meant I had to exert too much pressure onto the camera/gimbal system to fit or remove them.

Also I'm not convinced clamping to the aircraft frame is a good idea? - doesn't that mean that every knock the aircraft gets (in your backpack for example) gets immediately transferred to the camera/gimbal system? I could be wrong of course!

There is an option that is quite a bit cheaper, but it is not made of the flex material which might be the difference in price as I know ninjaflex is about 3 times more expensive and takes longer to print. I don't think I would trust the ones attached to the landing skid as it seems like it would put undue stress on the gimbal AND the landing skid when jostled around.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221786076750

I have the flexible rubber one discussed in Fourblade's original post and am very happy with it. I was wary of the hard plastic ones in case they were a tight fit and meant I had to exert too much pressure onto the camera/gimbal system to fit or remove them.

Also I'm not convinced clamping to the aircraft frame is a good idea? - doesn't that mean that every knock the aircraft gets (in your backpack for example) gets immediately transferred to the camera/gimbal system? I could be wrong of course!
Not any impact to the drone but yes, any impact strong enough to move that section of the landing gear. It would also need to move pretty far to affect the gimbal.

Keep on mind that the gimbal can still move. I'd think the leg would break before it damaged the gimbal. I've been running a similar one on my P2v plus without any issues.

We are confident in this design. it keeps the gimbal / camera completely steady. usually we put my phantom, notebook, battery, to a rolling camera backpack and used this holder to keep the gimbal/camera steady. In the past 3 months, everyday we spent around half an hour to roll our backpack to the testing area. the total time we roll our phantom / gimbal / camera is 30 mins x 30 days x 3months = ~2700 mins. our phantom / gimbal / camera still survived.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.